HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Urine Leakage Urine Leakage

Unread 01-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Urine Leakage

Hello fellow sisters...

Just wanted to know if anyone has this problem...

LAVH 12-30-02

No problem urinating or BM for that matter... but when I am finished urinating, I clean myself (carefully- found that the wet wipes or toilet paper is alot nicer than 2 ply anything)... I go to sit back down, and then just a little goosh... I can not stand to be wet... unless in the shower or pool... so off to the bathroom I go to wipe again....

Does this get better?? Dr appt not until next week... just wondering if this has happened to anyone else??

Angee
Unread 01-08-2003, 03:57 AM
Urine Leakage

Hi Angee,

I had a s-p catheter for just under 3 weeks after my surgery, so I can't say that I experienced what you are describing.

I'd suggest you give your Dr. a call since your appointment isn't until next week. Hopefully you can get some answers and/or relief and put your mind at ease.

Best wishes and s
Unread 01-08-2003, 06:18 AM
I can slightly relate.

I usually didn't get wet, but I would find that just as I had pulled up my pants, I'd have to sit right back down and tinkle a little more. I think you'll find that it gets better throughout the recovery. If it doesn't, let your dr know. The bladder sensations seem to be different and inconsistent from what we all recall before we had surgery.
Unread 01-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Urine Leakage

That is basically what it is... just 1 more little drop...

I have not ever in my life had a cathader (sp??) I have found a solution to it... after peeing, I stand up... move my hips from side to side, then preceed to clean up again... it seems to do the trick...

I just hated siting down and then doing it... I guess the pressure of sitting is what makes it happen.

Thanks for your reply...

Angee
Unread 01-08-2003, 09:57 AM
my little tip

immediately post op, I really did need to take my time. Lot of stuff going on and the body did take a battering with the surgery. I also had bladder repair done. Just an adjustment in how I did things for a short while and it helps. One thing that helped me be sure I totally emptied the bladder is to pee in an upright sitting position until I thought I was on E, then lean forward, release the PC muscle and more would come out. And it was almost like doing yoga, isolating and relaxing the PC muscle.

The other thing to realize here, according to my urologist, is that narcotics and anesthesia agents can contribute to bladder spasms and make the urethra a bit numb for a little while post op. Since your surgery was 12-30, this might be a factor since it does take the body awhile to detoxify these drugs and get them out. I can tell you that when I took a percocet when I was being a bad princess and weightlifting cat 2 weeks post op, I wasn't able to urinate for 18 hours. Bad kitty

Sometimes shifting positions like this is a big help. Got it to the point that I am back to how I was in my 20's. Just whip into the bathroom and do my thing and out again. Love the repair!
Unread 01-08-2003, 01:50 PM
Urine Leakage

Thanks so much for the tip..
I didn't know about the drug part...
I was to take a pill every 4 hours, but they made me dizzy... started taking them at 5 hrs, then 7 hrs... then only mornging, noon and night... today so far I have only had 1, that was at 5:30am. So hopefully they will leave my system shortly....

I tried your method and it works!!!

Thanks,
Angee
Unread 01-08-2003, 02:05 PM
whaddya know!

Not my original idea so I owe the credit to my gyn who tipped me off a few years ago to the lean and pee method. Glad it helped.
Unread 01-08-2003, 02:17 PM
PS, funny dh remark

We have this cat who right before my surgery, got crushed in the garage door. He's all better now, but his bladder was affected for awhile after the injury and the vet taught me how to manually express his bladder. Kitty was like one of those wet-my-pants dollies where you squeeze him and he squirts, except real pee and ticked off attitude with claws and hissing, and it involves a litter box.

Anyway, I was coming out of the bathroom for like the umpteenth time one evening ranting and raving about not getting empty and my DH deadpans:

"Should I call the vet and see if what he recommended for the cat will work on you?"

Oddly enough, the problem started showing immediate improvement. Hmm? Ya think?
Unread 01-08-2003, 03:20 PM
Urine Leakage

Thanks for the laugh... Ouch, Ouch, Ouch

Angee
Unread 01-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Urine Leakage

I, too, hate being wet and the same thing has been happening to me. UGH! I hate that goosh! I had TVH/A-P repair/bladder tack on 12/26 and this started about 9th day post-op. My mom had a bladder susupension 6 years ago and she said she had the same thing, too. I guess it's a normal part of healing and it usually takes a couple of weeks to get better. I'm already noticing a difference...slow, but some progress.

Thanks for posting this. I learned a lot in this thread which helps me to feel better, too! Several people on this board have also said that the bladder is extremely sensitive to surgery and tends to "freak out" afterwards for some of us and it takes awhile for it to settle down.

Take care,
Renee

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway