HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

constapation and bowling ball in my butt constapation and bowling ball in my butt

Unread 01-12-2003, 11:36 AM
constapation and bowling ball in my butt

I am 7 days post am constapated I feel like a bowling ball is stuck up my butt. I am normally IBS D so I am not used to this. I feel so sick. I spent 6 days in hospital in acute care. On Thursday they gave me a suppository. Nothing. On Friday the gave me Milk of Magnesia. Nothing. When they went to release me the medical resident felt it was nothing to worry about and the nurse had it out with him and called my gyn at home. She got another suppository ordered and colace. I stared the colace and the suppository did nothing. I am so sick to my stomach. Last night my temp went up to 100 and stayed there it has come down to 99 now. I wonder if it is my bowel causing it. I am eating everything that would normally be a no no for me that would fly threw me with in an hour and still nothing. I get up and walk arould and walk around as much as possible but then I get weak. God this is so frustrating. Not what I need now. Any suggestions.

Denise
Unread 01-12-2003, 11:58 AM

Hi Denise! I am so sorry you're having a rough time of it! I had a problem with impaction around 11 days post op. Was told to do a fleets enema. Painful, but it worked. All over in about 20 minutes. Have you tried that route already? Hang in there!
blessings,
catherine
Unread 01-12-2003, 12:00 PM

I agree that a Fleet Enema might solve the problem at this point. If not, I would definately call you dr. and see what he can recommend. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Unread 01-12-2003, 12:09 PM
same here

I had horrible constipation too in spite of taking PeriColace and Colace. I used Fleets a couple times in about a week, and been very regular ever since. Good luck!! TAH/BSO 12/26/02.
Unread 01-12-2003, 12:42 PM

OH The memories! I was totally plugged up too about 6 days after my TAH. I tried everything in the book to be able to have a BM. I even ate a whole can of Prunes! The Fleets Enema is a good idea. It might help it move through you quicker and also soften it. Also drink LOTS of water! Water seemed to really help me out! Good luck with everything! Hope you feel better soon!!
Unread 01-12-2003, 04:28 PM
thanks

Thats what the nurse wanted to give me before they released me before I was released yesterday and the medical resident refused. I am drinking alot of fluids even orange jucie which usually goes threw me really quick and shuffling around as much as I can handle to the point that I get exhausted. I have to see the nurse on either Monday or Tuesday in the nursing clinic for my staples. I feel like my bum is going to explode even my toots hurt now. I will keep trying.

Denise
Unread 01-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Been there!!

I feel for you as that was the worst part of my surgery! I was in so much pain that I was ready to pull my hair out, tried EVERYTHING and nothing working, finally I used a Fleet enema and it finally moved. I was so sore for days after the whole deal, but you must get it out and then stay on top of it happening again, drink as much water as possible and I took stool softeners until things started working normal again.
It DOES get better, I promise!
Unread 01-12-2003, 07:54 PM

Also, when I didn't go for a day or two I'd take Milk of Magnesia before I went to bed and usually went the next morning. I would not let it get to that point again!
Unread 01-12-2003, 08:10 PM
you poor lady!

Ok, first step is to eject the bowling ball. The enema idea might be your most expedient way. The muscles that control BM do get bruised in surgery and they need some incentive to move.

okay, I have a couple really gross ideas here and everyone needs to just say NOOOOOOOOOO! and get over it. When the rectum and anus has to stretch to this degree, lubricating the skin outside will help. I think avoiding a rectal tear is always a good idea.

If the enema doesn't work, time to get out the rubber gloves and unimpact that mass. Or try a glycerine suppository.

Follow up carefully on staying on the softeners, mild laxatives and walking to stim the bowel to move things down and thru. Going poop post op takes the discipline of a nun sometimes, praying included.
Unread 01-12-2003, 08:19 PM

Oh my goodness, and here I thought I was the only princess in the world asking hubby for a nighttime drugstore run for Fleet's with maybe a little glycerin to top it off on the 11th day.

You're not alone, sweetie, and listen to these good ladies, they've got the idea.

Anna

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.