HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

enema prep before surgery, do or don't? enema prep before surgery, do or don't?

Unread 01-18-2003, 07:51 AM
enema prep before surgery, do or don't?

Hi gals,
I had my pre-op appointment with my doctor yesterday. My doctor didn't say anything about using an enema until she asked me if I had any questions. Then I asked her if I needed to doing any "prep" before surgery and that is when she said it would be a good idea to use an enema the night before surgery to clean out my bowels.

My concern is when to use the enema. I am afraid that it won't "kick in" until I arrive at the hospital for surgery. Yikes! I am supposed to arrive at the hospital at 5:30 am for early morning surgery. I have never used an enema before and don't know what to expect. Has anyone had any problems by not using an enema before a hysterectomy? I am scheduled to have a TVH on January 23rd. Leaving my ovaries and not doing any repair work, that we are aware of right now anyway.

Thanks for your help. I sure do appreciate you all!
Love,
Traci
Unread 01-18-2003, 07:58 AM

I did my enema at 8:30 the night before. Enemas work within minutes so don't worry about it kicking in later. You may go a small amount in the morning but nothing to worry about. Hope this helps you. All people are different but that is how my enema went.Best wishes . See you on the other side.
Pam TAH/BSO 12/31/02
Unread 01-18-2003, 07:59 AM

(((Tracy)))

It's important that you follow your doctor's bowel prep requirements. If you're not sure about how your doctor wanted you to do your enema prep, please call her office Monday and talk with her nurse to get specific instructions.

Since there are so many reasons for doing a hyst, and so many different ways to do one, each doctor's instructions will be a little bit different, and it's best for you to talk with her or her nurse.

I did have to use a Fleets' enema the night before. I used it after supper, and it had worked before I got into bed that night. (The instructions are on the box.)

Please don't think about not doing it - it could be dangerous for you.

's

Karen
Unread 01-18-2003, 08:00 AM

Hi Traci, I think I'd call my dr and ask for a definate "do or don't " . Ask about when then too. I had my enema administered in the hospital the morning of my surgery - it worked within minutes!
Best wishes. s
Unread 01-18-2003, 08:01 AM
you are going to see quick results

since you are basically flushing the stool out of the lower intestines with water. I think the drill is you put the enema solution in the rectum, retain the fluid for ten minutes and then expel it in the toilet. Of course, check the instructions on your enema kit.

All I have handy to refer to right now is a 1947 home nursing manual and that uses a two quart enema bag The fleet enemas don't have nearly that much fluid.

I used mag citrate laxative for my prep. Supposedly, it should have produced a bowel movement in an hour, five and a half hours later...nothing. Stiff cup of coffee and voila! Problem is I was still pooping at three in the morning when I had to climb in the truck to head to the castle 2.5 hours away.

If your doc did not specifically tell you to use a laxative, don't! Harsh laxatives can flush electrolytes and essential salts from your body and that can be dangerous under general anesthesia if they aren't prepared or informed that you used the product.
Unread 01-18-2003, 05:25 PM

Hi Traci! I just thought I'd reply as we share the same surgery date. I'm having a TVH with repairs, and have to do TWO enemas, one the night before and then again the next morning. I told the nurse I thought they should distribute sedatives right along with the enemas, because I've never done one and think I am more terrified at the enemas than I am at the surgery. Seriously!! Anyways, I'm sure we'll both do fine!

Margie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.