HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

RU 486 pill reduces fibroids (study) RU 486 pill reduces fibroids (study)

Unread 01-31-2003, 12:48 PM
RU 486 pill reduces fibroids (study)

This was a very small preliminary study but it seems like an exciting possibility.

RU 486 (mifepristone) shrank fibroids and cut uterus size in half, halted bleeding, pelvic pain, and frequent urinations. The researchers gave a daily dose of 5 mg for months. The down side was some hot flashes. The up side was most of the women avoided surgery or could solve the problem with embolization and avoid hysterectomy (which is a very very good thing!). Even if hysterectomy were still needed, with smaller fibroids, the risk of complications is much lower.

RU 486 is the so-called abortion pill. But for that they give a massive dose of 600 mg in the first weeks of pregnancy. They've long known that it had other uses but now they are starting to prove it.

This was a study published in Obstetrics and Gynecology 2003;101:243-250.
And reported on by Reuter's if you have access to it on-line.
Unread 01-31-2003, 07:45 PM

(((Trish)))

Great information! Thanks for bringing this here. This is something we'll have to monitor. Do you know if RU 486 is being used this way in the U.S. or Canada yet?

Thanks!

Beth
Unread 01-31-2003, 09:05 PM

Trish, thanks for the info. I will be looking into it. Hope it is a possible option before I turn into a very old, old woman.

Thanks!
Unread 01-31-2003, 09:40 PM

From what I just read about it; seems this RU 486 or Mifipristone, was released in the US more than one year ago after it was FDA approved. Still not approved in Canada though. This drug is also used for breast and uterine cancer, brain tumors, depression and of course now fibroids. It blocks progesterone...so it is also very usefull in treating endo.

There is alot more for me to learn about it. I wonder why our doctors have never mentioned it...??? Has anyone out there been offered it?

Back to read more.
Unread 02-01-2003, 06:26 AM

My understanding of the way it works is that as long as a drug is approved by the FDA for any purpose, it's legal for your doctor to prescribe it for a different purpose--but it then isn't "standard use" which is the standard of malpractice laws. So, your doctor could try it today in the US but probably won't until it's a lot more used and a lot more studied. And unfortunately because it's controversial for nonmedical reasons that's all less likely.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.