HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

laying on stomach laying on stomach

Unread 01-31-2003, 04:04 PM
laying on stomach

Hi,
I am not new to this site. I am up almost every day reading of others' experiences. I had an total hysterectomy on Jan. 7th of this year. There are so many questions I have, so I try to obtain the answers to my questions through others experiences. I am dying to lay on my stomach at night, but I am too scared to try. Has anyone else tried to accomplish this seemingly impossible task, and if so, how long after their surgery did they wait. I will be eagerly anticipating a response from anyone that can help my dilemma. Oh, by the way, thank each and everyone for sharing your surgery and post op. experiences on this website. If it weren't for this site, I honestly don't know how I would have gotten through this ordeal.
Unread 01-31-2003, 04:31 PM
laying on stomach

Hi, I had my TAH/BSO on Jan 2 this year. I started laying on my stomach about 2 weeks after surgery without a problem. I found it to be comfortable once I was in position. Hope this helps.
Unread 01-31-2003, 04:45 PM
laying on stomach

Hi Patty

Hey you had your surgery just one day after me.
I started laying on my stomach just about 2 weeks ago.
I was also concerned about this since thats how I sleep.
I think you will be fine, if it doesn't hurt you.

I hope this helps you.

s

rroettger1965

LAVH jan 6, 2003
Unread 01-31-2003, 04:55 PM
laying on stomach

I was on my stomach the night after I got my staples out. I can only sleep that. So for a week I didn't sleep much. It was a little strange at first but it was better than my back or side.
Have you tried it yet?
Unread 01-31-2003, 05:23 PM
laying on stomach

Hi, Patty,
I am glad you posted! Yes, reading other's experiences really does help answer our questions.

I wasn't that successful at laying on my stomach, but there is no reason not to give it a try (unless your doc said not to) Usually, doctors don't put restrictions on tummy laying.

It took me a little longer.....more like a month to feel comfortable with doing that. It didn't really hurt. It just felt weird to me and so I struggled switching from side to side until the weird sensations passed.

I wish you lots of luck as I suspect you could use a good night's sleep in your favorite position.

Good Luck,

Lynn/Cappy
P.S. Feel free to join us in the chatroom for lots of fun and support!
Unread 01-31-2003, 05:37 PM
laying on stomach

2 weeks post tah, plus tummy tuck, and 3 nights ago i fured the girdle will keep everything in place. lol. i still have a lil pillow to help in case i'm not that confy, and i put it under my stomach and helps. good luck
Unread 01-31-2003, 06:18 PM
laying on stomach

I bought one of those body pillows...it was a dream!

They're very cheap - mine was $10 from Walmart, and was perfect for sleeping on my side (almost on my tummy)...it gave me the support I needed, and reduced the discomfort a great deal.

Just an idea
Unread 02-01-2003, 07:17 PM
laying on stomach

I am 3 months post op and I just started sleeping on my belly about a month ago. I still find that it gets quite uncomfy so I also use a pillow to keep one of my hips raised... This keeps the pressure off of my belly, but find that I wake up at night with a burning sensation in the joint on the outside of my hip that I guess holds the hip to the leg.. Amazing how some girls can hop right back into old sleeping positions and some of us take forever.. Good luck
Unread 02-01-2003, 08:03 PM
laying on stomach

I had my surgery on January 9th so I am three weeks post-op. I finally got brave enough to lay on my stomach this week and had no problems! Good luck to you.
Unread 02-01-2003, 08:19 PM
laying on stomach

I agree with everyone who wrote about the body pillow. Had my husband go get me one when I came home after I found I really needed one. I really recommend it for side and stomach sleepers. I am still using it and will continue to as I found having it to place between my legs and hold on to really helps me be comfortable and sleep better. Janie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.