HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

low blood count low blood count

Unread 02-15-2003, 08:18 AM
low blood count

hey my sisters! what a blessing this website has been! i am 3 weeks post op this coming monday. i had my 2 week check up with my dr this week and she said my blood count was low and started me on iron. i had really been feeling good and was considering going back to work part time this week. after i started taking the iron, i was a mess! nauseated, headachy, lethargic and EXHAUSTED! i have literally been in bed all week! my dr says it is the anemia catching up with me and to keep taking the iron until i see her again (in 2 weeks). my belly seems to be more swollen than in week 2 and not just the lower half, now it's all the way up under my breasts! i'm a mess!! has anyone else ever experienced this? any suggestions? HELP!

thanks for your support! my husband is in the army and was deployed last june--so i have no DH at home. :cry:

bud's babe
Unread 02-15-2003, 08:28 AM
IRON

Iron can be very hard on a person. I took it before my hyst. Take it on a full stomach, there is a newer iron preparation that is time released and is alot kinder on the system, ask your pharmacist, it is more expensive. I took Vit. C along with mine.
Unread 02-15-2003, 08:37 AM
Iron Pills

The timed release is what I am on. I am suppossed to take two a day but can't tolerate the crampy feeling. They are called Fe-tinic 150 mg. generic for Niferex. I take them for anemia and they do not make me tired or anything. They also do not constipate me.

TAH/BSO Mar. 7, for anemia, uterus 16cm, fibroids, ovarian mass, flooding and clotting, A NEW ME IN 2003!
Unread 02-15-2003, 10:43 AM
Iron Pills

I also experienced what you have been going through. I'm 3 months post-op, and I'm still having a hard time getting my iron count up. I lost 500cc of blood during my surgery. I was anemic before my surgery so that did not help me. I was discharged from the hospital, with a very low iron count it was 16. It should be between 80-180. I found this out after the fact. The week I was home I had the worst headache and nausea and so weak. I became dehydrated and ended up back in the hospital. I also had trouble with my heart racing. Now I'm experiencing anxiety attacks which has been the worst. As of right now I'm taking Ferrous Sulf 324mg 2 x a day, with a stool softner. I go back in April to see where my count is. I've been eating a lot high iron foods. They say to take vitamin c which helps to absorb the iron. Hope this helps you. Just know your not alone.
Take care of yourself.
Unread 02-15-2003, 01:20 PM
Low iron

Hi,

I'm about 10 days post op from a SAV and a Burch. I too was very anemic pre-op and now post op. About a week before surgery my Gdoc increased my iron supplement to 4x's daily. YIKES! I was nauseus, cramping and it "slowed" the plumbing. I asked to try a liquid form of iron (Hemocyute F) and it made a tremendous difference. Though it tasted AWFUL (chaser required), it was absorbed more quickly so it did not sit in my stomach causing problems.

Good luck!

Becky
Unread 02-16-2003, 07:48 PM
Low iron count

Hi,
Someone in an earlier post mentioned Niferex and that's what i take. If you can get it prescribed through a doc. and have a perscription plan, the cost isn't bad at all.
I definately recommend it. Ferrous sulfate constipates me like crazy, this doesn't. It can also get your iron levels up quickly.
good luck,
el
Unread 02-18-2003, 12:39 PM
low blood count

My iron levels were low before my surgery and 2 weeks post op, I'm still trying to restore levels back to normal. My surgery was performed as an emergency. I did not have a chance to plan it. The bleeding started and would not stop until they took my utereus out. However, I did find a form of iron that worked VERY well and did not make me sick or constipate me at all. It is called FLORADIX and you can get it at any health food store. It has iron, vit c and all the b-vitamins to absorb the iron quickly. It is a liquid and you take a teaspoon before meals twice a day. It kept my iron levels up in spite of all the constant bleeding I experienced prior to my surgery.

GOOD LUCK !!!
Unread 03-05-2003, 08:17 AM
low blood count

Hi..in preparation for my hyst,I was required to donate 2 units of my own blood for use in the surgury.At that time I was instructed to take 2 - 300 mg. iron per day to build my hemoglobin up so that my stored blood was iron rich.I did this and my hemoglobin count was at 13..nice.I was told to stay on the iron up until surgury and then if my dr. wanted to stop or stay on,he will tell me.I had my hemoglobin taken 10 days pre-op.it was at 13.Then i have surgury.I lost 400 cc of blood, but then did not give me my own blood.In recovery,and in the castle,they gave me iron pills twice a day.prior to discharge the dr. said that my hemoglobin had plumeted to 6 during surgury and that it had come to 8 the day post-op...so stay on the iron as opposed to giving me a unit of my blood ('my' blood, not used in surgury went in to the common storage and the hopstial could not guarantee that I would get my own blood at this point) So, I was taking iron faithfully daily.Then I called into 'telehealth' (in Ontario it's a -1800 # with a nurse to answer any questions) and she said that being on iron post-op is not good...so I am struggling with the best thing to do.My room-mate in the castle told me that when she was in hosptial 1 yr. ago with a broken leg, they put her on iron after she went home and then ended up with a blood clot..she blames the iron. What should I do???

Jas
TAH..ovaries repaired but left in
Unread 03-05-2003, 10:21 AM
low blood count

I don't know why the nurse told you being on iron post op is contraindicated. By all means if you have a Hgb of 6-8 you should be taking iron, and Vit C. Hemodilution from all the IV fluids that they give you during surgery can result in a decreased hgB level, and that ususally goes up quickly after surgery as you get rid of the excess fluids. I would call your Dr. to verify that you should be on the iron, but I have never heard of iron causing blood clots.
Unread 03-05-2003, 10:30 AM
low blood count

thanks...I thought the nurse was speaking out of turn...but you know how we as women operate..if we hear a negative, we investigate it!!! She also told me to be massaging my incision site to help with the release of ???to help break down adhesions. I tried to massage, but my stitches haven't dissolved yet and it was too tender so I stopped. When she told me that I was on day 11 post-op. Anyone else hear about the massaging bit?
And, I popped my iron with my B&C complex...I won't mess around!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway