HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 02-18-2003, 05:34 PM
Rectal pain

Hello,
What a great site!
I am 18 days post op.
Had TVH, Bladder repair & Posterior Hernia fixed.

Most days,not all days, I get pain almost like a muscle spasm in the back passage. The pain is at times very intense & I always believed that I had good tolerence of pain until this.
The doctor said at one week post op that it was usual!!
Anyone else experienced this?
Sylvia w
Unread 02-18-2003, 06:30 PM
that awful pain!

Hi Sylvia,
It was perfect timing for your post because I was going to ask the same thing! These pains are very, very, very painful. I find myself doing "labor breathing" just to get through them. After I "go" they're gone. It could be very embarassing if I'm out somewhere and this happens. Oh, I'm 13 days post-op, from a TAH (cervix, tubes, and ovaries, too), that took the doc and a helper an extra hour to complete, and I am also finishing up antibiotics for a UTI. Do I wait until my 6 week check-up to see if I still have this, or what? Ladies???
Unread 02-18-2003, 08:39 PM
Rectal pain

I get that too...I'm 34 days post-op TAH/BSO. My dr told me while it could be the endo, it could also be just a bowel spasm or some other condition whose name escapes me at the moment. Pain's enough to wake me up at night, and actually makes me sweat! And it only happens to me at night.

Beth Ann
Unread 02-18-2003, 09:13 PM
rectal pain

the pain that you are describing sounds pretty familiar to me..i felt at the time that "things" would never go back to normal..they seem to be fine now
Unread 02-18-2003, 09:41 PM
same pain

I also had the same pain. Had to stop what ever I was doing and run because the pain would not disappear until I had gone to the washroom. My poor mom was getting so tired of me telling her I would call her back because I had to run ;o). I am almost 5 weeks post op and no longer have that pain it subsided after almost 4 weeks. The only thing I still have is really bad bloating and am hoping that will subside soon!
Unread 02-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Rectal pain

Hi girls:

This is my first time so bare with me.

I am 14 days post op and had a VH, bladder repair, with rectoseal repaired. They did leave in my ovaries. It is still painful when having a BM. In fact, sometimes I think I see stars but my doctor said this is normal. Was doing well until Sunday when I started with an itch and horrible backache. You guessed it. Yeast infection. When I went to my doctor today she gave me (Duflcan?) and while they do not want you to put anything into the vagina at this time she said mine was bad enough that she also gave me some cream. Must be the antibotics.

I also read on some of your post that most doctors said not to take a bath but she said it was fine. To be sure, I think I will stick to showers. Sites like this do offer a lot of information. Thanks for all the good advice.

Sue
Unread 02-18-2003, 10:12 PM
cresteds

I had a TAH and have been having a bath since three days after surgery. I have had quite a few problems with infections and bathing just helped me so much. The only thing I was told was that for the first week or two to just put in an inch or two of water and no laying down. It was a great relief being able to sit in some nice warm water. After two weeks I filled the tub as high as I could and just sat there for over an hour still no laying down. Now at 5 weeks post op every night you can find me soaking laying back and just enjoying.
Unread 02-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Rectal pain

I had my surgery about 4 weeks ago and I have suffered that pain - still do most times I have a BM, but it is subsiding. I figured it was because I had a bowel and bladder repair and I am told there are heaps of stitches in that area. From what I have read here it seems to be the norm.

About those baths. I am not sure if having a bath is allowed or not but I have found that I can give myself a sort of sponge bath in that area to ease discomfort and it works well. I get a 5 litre/gallon ice cream bucket and half to 3/4 fill it with warm salty water [a small handfull of salt] and squat in the shower recess and use a soft clean washer to douse myself with the water. It aids in healing and really does make it feel better - reduces itchiness and soreness from hair regrowth and healing stitches. So if you really need the soothing but have been told no bath, check if this is an acceptable alternative.
Unread 02-19-2003, 07:34 AM
Rectal pain

I had that rectal discomfort too. It was a while before I realized that bending over was doing it to me. I did not have the pain while I was bending over (to shave my legs ect...), suffered later in the day. When I was more careful about that postion, I was more comfortable. I am 5 weeks post op now, and am not having it anymore. Dr said it just needed to heal more, and apparently that was true.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.