Bladder surgery anyone? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder surgery anyone? Bladder surgery anyone?

Unread 02-26-2003, 07:07 PM
Bladder surgery anyone?

With my TVH I also had sugery to correct my leaky bladder. The recovery from the hysterectomy has been a breeze in comparison to the bladder surgery. I have been back to the urologist 3 times. It hurts so much to pee that I have to get myself emotionally ready to face the throne. Has anyone else had this surgery? How long did it take before emtying your bladder feels somewhat normal. I had my surgery on 2/13/03 which is right at the 2 week mark. I had to keep the catheter for 10 days. I was so glad to get rid of it on Monday of this week. In those 10 days there were two attempts to take it out and both times it had to be put back in because of fluid retention. Monday I finally started to go again, but like I said it hurts. Today (Wed. 2/26) I feel like I am going backwards. I wet my pants twice today, and I have to pull my muscles up in order to get urine to pass. I also have to do a dance of all different positions in order to get the urine out. Of course my urine is also a very pretty orange due to a medication (Pyridium) that I am taking. If any one can share their experiences I would so appreciate it. I feel like I am going crazy because I am failing at the basic function of peeing.

Thanks for reading. I look forward to any responses.
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2003, 03:56 AM
Bladder surgery anyone?

Hi Donna,

I didn't have bladder repair, but I had a radical hyst which involves handling the bladder (which doesn't take kindly to being jostled about ) and knew ahead of time that I would have a supra-pubic cath. I ended up with my cath for just under 3 weeks before my bladder would empty on it's own, so I know how frustrating it can be waiting for bladder function to return.

I am very concerned about how much pain you are having. I think that the medicine you are taking is for relief of bladder spasms and should help alleviate that pain, but it sounds like it's getting worse. Please contact your Dr. right away to report your symptoms. It could be a sign of something else going on, including possibly a UTI.

Let us know how you are and what your Dr. says, ok?

Best wishes and gentle s
Unread 02-27-2003, 07:32 AM
Bladder surgery

Hi-

I had TAH- with birch repair of bladder on Jan 16, 2003- i too thought I would pass out trying to pass urine the first couple of weeks- then all of a sudden I had less trouble, at six weeks I am doing really well- although I think eh reduced the size of my bladder...I know what you mean by trying to get into different positions to void- it all gets better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2003, 07:38 AM
I had bladder surgery

hi bayonne,

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. What type of bladder surgery did you have?

I had a burch bladder procedure, vth and a&p repair on 1/30/03. I almost hate to tell you this but....I had the cath. removed 3 days after surgery and I've had no pain with peeing at all. (I've had other pain from the healing process and because of all the stiches and no energy....things like that....but nothing with the bladder)

Why did you have surgery? Mine was for stage 2 prolaspe. I would stay on top of the doctor if I were you. Some times you have to be forceful with the medical community. Remember you have to be an advocate for your own healthcare.

My thoughts are with you..
Susan
Unread 02-27-2003, 03:27 PM
Bladder surgery anyone?

I can certainly relate to what you are experiencing. I had LAVH BSO and Sparc bladder sling placed under the urethra for stress incontinence 1/9/03. I had the cath "in" and "out" for a total of 12 days and had a lot of trouble peeing. It would only trickle out. I also couldn't completely empty my bladder and it has to be less than 100cc or you have to be cathed or do self-catherization. I was on antibiotics while the cath was in. Urology DR put me on Urecholine 3x/day to help bladder contract and expel urine. Once I was able to pee normally, DR cut the dose in half. I was on that for 1-2 weeks and then stopped. I've been peeing good since about 4 weeks postop but position does make a difference. I notice if I'm in a public restroom, squatting over the toilet doesn't let me empty my bladder completely. I need to sit and lean backward. I have some urgency and frequency which DR says will go away in time. The peeing problem is much better than it was (pressure and pain) and hopefully continues to get better all the time.

Hopefully, I have helped you regarding this problem and don't hesitate to call your DR back if it doesn't resolve itself. Good Luck.
Unread 02-27-2003, 04:06 PM
Bladder surgery anyone?

I too had a Burch along with my TAH, to repair a cystocele and had a supra-pubic catheter afterwards and was in for 6 days, intially had a little difficulty getting started, and bladder spasms when I finished, but the frequency was bad, I was in the bathroom every hour and up at least 3 times through the night. My Dr. had me start on Ditropan 5mg which I took before the surgery. It helped with bladder spasms, but I continued to have an intimate bond with the bathroom LOL, so this week when I saw him he increased the dosage to 10mg and it seems to help better, also he said I had a UTI, and he started me on an antibiotic yesterday. So I will see how things go. I am drinking alot of water, and he told me to keep up drinking lots of fluids, The freq at night has eased, I get up once at night now. My Dr said with the bladder problems I had, and the surgery the freq can get worse after surgery but take several weeks to settle back down. But no leaking and that is high point. Coughing, Sneezing nothing.......nice and dry.....I guess the frequency isn't so bad then.............

Hang in there.......

Hugs....

Steph
Unread 02-28-2003, 10:10 AM
Bladder surgery anyone?

Dear SIsters,
Thank you for all of the feedback that you gave me. It helped me to know that I was not alone in this situation. First of all, I had an anterior/posterior bladder sling for stress incontinence. Because of the amount of pain I was having they did a bladder scan. As I thought I was not emptying my bladder fully. I was only able to get the top layer of urine off and the rest was still in there. At my appointment yesterday I was taught to self-cath and it was such a relief. Last night at 2:30 A.M. I woke up and had to self-cath over 750cc's, no wonder it woke me up. I am set up to have "minor" surgery on Tuesday of next week to loosen the sling. I knew that this was a possibility, but I really am not jazzed about another surgery. It is day surgery, but it still requires GA. If it gives me the relief I need then I will be happy. Again, thank you for all the feedback. Please think of me next Tuesday. I will give you an update next week.

Thanks for all the s

Donna
Unread 03-01-2003, 06:52 AM
Bladder surgery anyone?

Am so sorry to hear that you have to have surgery to loosen the sling. Is it possible to have a block instead of GA?

I will be thinking and praying for you next Tuesday. Please update us as to how everything goes.

Unread 03-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Bladder surgery anyone?

I am to sorry that you have to have surgery...good luck and take care on Tuesday...

Steph
Unread 03-01-2003, 03:47 PM
bladder surgery

Thanks for the info. I was supposed to have bladder surgery with the TAH but they changed their mind at the 11th hour. They decided that it would be too much since the TAH was going to be difficult. Now I am having urine just drip out of me many times after just standing up and also stools have just poured out. I seem to have no muscle control down there and now they want to do some more tests and maybe bladder surgery. I had my TAH & BSO on Mon 2-3-03 and have had the worst recovery the hospital staff has ever seen.
I don't have any answers for you but i can certainly understand what you are going theough.
Hopefully, things will settle down for both of us soon.

Take care
SDS

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register