HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Estroven & Weight Gain? Estroven & Weight Gain?

Unread 03-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Estroven & Weight Gain?

I had my TAH/BSO on 1/3/03, and will not use HRT because of endo. However, the Dr. did OK a natural supplement such as Estroven. I did not take the Estroven long enough to notice a benefit from the supplement, but I did notice a 10 lb. weight gain :-0 !! This may be a coincidence, but I thought I'd ask if others had a similar reaction.

My appetite has definately been increased, and I'm just starting to exercise after the hyst, so this may have nothing to do with supplements. I was also taking calcium and a multi.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Unread 03-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Estroven & Weight Gain?

Hi

I also am a no HRT sister do to med reasons.........I don;t take estroven...But I am on natural supplements as well ...Also with the ok from my dr....

I take soy....black cohosh....flaxseed oil w/omaga3.....vit/min supplements......coq10...........Bone support to make sure my calicum is 1600 md daily.......I also drink lots of water and green tea....I did stop red meats and I an careful what I eat..........

My dr, warned me do to the change in the body weight can be a problem...So he really talked about a better diet and walking.........

Try to control what you eat and remember you are still early recovery.....So be kind to your body and take care of yourself....

I don;t think the supplements are butting weight on...It might be you holding fluid so be careful with salt.......

We have a post here called Hysteritaville- Safair resort and fitness...The sisters share about better eating etc.....

Hopr this helps.....God bless and come chat anytine we are always here for you...

s Sis
Unread 03-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Estroven & Weight Gain?

I've been one to find that weight gain as well. There's a book called "The Menopause Diet" by Larrian Gillespie, M.D. that talks about how lack of estrogen often will change how the body metabolizes. It tends to hang onto every fat cell that it can, becoming ever more insulin-resistant, so that it can keep any bit of estrone (the weaker form of estrogen, found in abdominal fat).

Though I am not estrogen-free now, I was for some months -- even now I am on very low-dose. And I have found that I have to be vigilant, and those last 8 lbs are NOT wanting to come off! The "reserve" that I used to have, where if I gave up sweets and increased my exercise for a month or two, I could lose weight, is GONE -- now it's no margin for error, at least for me.

Anyway, this book makes some excellent points, and has some very concrete information about fighting the insulin resistance that seems to come with menopause, whether surgical or natural. There's a related website, www.menopausediet.com that has some interesting information.

Although your weight gain probably is not due to the Estroven, there is one ingredient that may have some weight impact, and that's kava kava (unless they've changed the formulation in the last few months). Also, I know for me 8 weeks off exercising definitely had an impact...I need to move every chance I get to have any real possibility of losing weight...

Audrey
Unread 03-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Estroven & Weight Gain?

Thanks for your thoughtful answers :-) I will definately check out the menopause diet book, and the other diet/fitness related posts. I already have 50 lbs to lose, and I cannot afford to allow any more weight to creep up on me :-Z. My mother is very overweight, and I am very scared of finding myself with over 100 lbs to lose 5 or 10 yrs from now. If only I could find that internal self control and drive to exercise and eat right. Why can't there be a pill for that??!

I've discontinued the Estroven for now.

Thanks again - Holly

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway