HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

do you lose weight or gain weight? do you lose weight or gain weight?

Unread 03-04-2003, 09:29 PM
do you lose weight or gain weight?

I am having surgery in 6 days...and although i have enough to worry about...I am also worried that I'll lose weight as I have heard on here...I am 33 and weigh 100lbs soaking wet. I have never been able to gain weight in my life (even with having 3 kids) and I DO NOT want to lose any more weight or I think I'd wither away and die..(then why bother having painful surgery..LOL) Does anyone have any ideas on this topic?
Unread 03-05-2003, 03:58 AM

Hi Shawna,

I neither lost nor gained weight after my hyst. My appetite was considerably decreased for the first few weeks post-operatively, but I attributed the stable weight to decreased activity along with my decreased appetite.

I would suggest that you discuss this with your Dr. I can understand your concern. Perhaps your Dr. may recommend some type of high nutrition drinks (Ensure, Boost....) to help you keep your weight stable.

Best wishes and s
Unread 03-05-2003, 05:11 AM

Shawna,

I lost 16 lbs within the first week post op. Don't panic! Why? I had gained 26 lbs unexpectly from 1997 until my surgery date of Nov 20, 2002. Because I had severe endometriosis and adenomyosis my body failed to work properly and I was unable to have a normal bowel movement during the above stated years. Since I could remember, I had always had terrible menstrual cramps, in addition my doctor continued to say nothing was wrong with me, so I tried to tell myself that early menopause was my problem and continued to experience severe cramping, and all of the problems the go with adenomyosis and endometriosis, and weight gain. The truth is I still need to lose 10 more lbs but I don't know how realistic that is at this point, but I am happy because I have no more pain and my body now works properly.

If your body is currently working properly then you probably don't need to worry. The fact is you may gain weight. Try not to worry, you will gain weight soon enough and probably think back to the day you weighed 100lbs and wish you still did.

Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted.
Unread 03-05-2003, 07:16 AM

I'm 5' 8" and carry just about 140#, which is optimal for me. I lost maybe 5 # in the first week post. First you eat nothing for 2 days and then a liquid diet and finally a soft diet. I continued with the soft diet for a week at home because I wanted no problems in the BM department. By the 3rd week post, I was back to my normal weight. I was drinking mega doses of high calorie juices because of an ER visit 1 week post ,where it turned out I was severly dehydrated, and did not gain. My body was burning the calories in those first few weeks post. I'm 8 weeks post now and really have to watch the calories 24-7 again to maintain like I normally did before surgery. In the castle I was famished. They'd feed me and one hour later I was starving. Not having fat reserves like me you'll probably be hungry too, and losing weight won't be an issue because your body is going to be crying for you to feed it when it desperatly needs nutrition after your surgery like mine did. Good luck. Hope everything turns out well for you.
Unread 03-05-2003, 07:44 AM
Thanks!!

I REALLY appreciate the replies...I am feeling much better about the weight issue..Maybe I will just live on high calorie smoothies for awhile...heck, I've been doing that for years anyway..
Thanks!!!
Unread 03-05-2003, 10:11 AM

I too was very worried about loosing weight because I am also a whopping 100 pounds. I did loose about 3 pounds but I am hopeing I can get that weight back. If anyone of the Hyster girls can give us any advice on how to put some weight on I am willing to hear it. Sounds like a small problem but they say thin people have a hard time gaining weight just like a heavy one as a hard time loosing it. Hope your surgery goes well and I wish you the best of luck. ~~AKA NutCracker

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.