HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

When do you know it's time? When do you know it's time?

Unread 08-19-2000, 06:25 PM
When do you know it's time?

I mistakenly posted on the "pre-op" board, but this is the board I think I truly need.

I had a diagnostic lap in Dec. for heavy periods (flooding, clotting, gushing), IBS, pulling. My gyn found many adhesions (one ovary and tube was in bad shape). She also found many small fibroids, the largest being only about 2". She got all the adhesions she could and that was it. She told me although she didn't visually see endometriosis, she thinks that wherever there are adhesions there is a high probability of microscopic endo.

I got fair relief from symptoms for 4-5 months, then suddenly my period last month was horrible. Luckily I don't have bad pain, but otherwise it was heavy and all the symptoms were back.

I'm 40, don't wish to have more children, can't take the pill, gyn doesn't want to do Lupron. It's as if a hyst. is my only choice. I see my dr. in October. I feel like if I tell her things are flaring up again, she'll suggest it. But am I crazy to even consider it when it's just an occasional bad period? I feel foolish, yet I never know which ones will be this bad and it is so unpredictable.

I also do not want to wait until fibroids get very large and I can no longer have a LAVH, because an open insicison will create tons more adhesions. What are your thoughts, ladies? Thanks.
Unread 08-20-2000, 05:06 AM

Donna, Let your Doctor know absolutely EVERTHING. In fact if you are that miserable you should try to talk to her ASAP. Like you I had severe adhesions. I had a Lap in May and by the end of June My left ovary had completely plastered itself back to my pelvic wall again. I talked with my Doc at length and we decidied to go for a TAH, that allowed him to really clean me out, especially since all of my parts were just stuck together everywhere. Yes, you always run the risk of getting adhesions again, but it's upto you and your Doctor to decide what is best for you.
But, I would definitely call her and put all your cards on the table and see what she says.
My prayers are with you!
Gala
TAH/LSO(severe adhesions & Pelvic Congestive Disorder)
7/26/00
Unread 08-20-2000, 10:24 AM
More info, please!

Gala, your post was quite interesting. What was your dr's opinion on an open incision and the risk of more adhesions? I didn't realize they could grow back so quickly. But my mindset has been to be able to have a LAVH at all costs, to avoid the open cut and more adhesions. I may not be thinking this through all the way.

I've wondered if my ovaries would have to be removed. One was so densly covered with adhesions that even after she cut many of them, that only made it easier for her to see how many MORE were under there, surrounding and squeezing the fallopian tube. Would the ovary need to come out because of the and the fact it is probably not functional?

Please let me know more about your situation, it is quite interesting. Thanks.
Unread 08-21-2000, 05:02 AM

Donna Boy, I feel like I'm looking at myself in the mirror! My left ovary and tube were destroyed from the adhesions. So, they had to be removed at the time of hysterectomy. My right one had only mild adhesions that actually originated from my left one it was like a rubber band stretched from one side to the other, so once the right one was free it has been fine.
My Dr. wanted to do the open incision to make sure that he did not miss a single thing and he told me that sometimes with doing it through a Lap you don't get as good of a view. All of my adhesions seemed to originate from my left ovary and tube and then connect onto the rest of my insides,and he said that once he got the source of the problem out that I would not be as prone to the adhesions. Mine were most likely caused from the severe endo I had about5 years ago.
The recovery time from the abdominal hyst is a little longer but I am glad that he did it that way because along with the severe adhesions I had very large vericose veins on my uterus and pelivc wall that he did not see during my last Lap.
Hope this helps a little bit. You can also e-mail me anytime you want if you want to compare notes.
Gala
RDEHART1@ATT.NET
TAH/LSO
7/26/00

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway