HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

vaginal bleeding 4 years after hysterectomy vaginal bleeding 4 years after hysterectomy

Unread 03-09-2003, 08:00 PM
Vaginal Bleeding 4 years after hysterectomy

Hi I am new to this site. I had a hysterectomy almost 4 years ago. Carcinoma in situ (Cervical). All my paps have been coming back normal up to last May 2002. The nurse pract. said my incision area was inflamed. (Pap came back normal). Last week I had a small amount of vaginal bleeding. Went immediatly to the doctor. He could see the I had an "abrasion" of some kind at the incision area. (I had no reason to have an abrasion) no intercourse for a week and half prior to this abnormal bleeding.
The doctor said the abrasion, was the place he was sure the bleeding came from. His conerns was dysplasia/squamous cells. (Which was the cause for concern the first time, when the hysterectomy was performed).

I am waiting for my next pap end of the this week to come back.

Has anyone else had vaginal bleeding 4 years after their hysterectomy?

I am scared and confused. The waiting could kill a person emotionally.

Thanks for any help.

Lisa
Unread 03-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Waiting is the worst!

You did the right thing by going to the doctor. Whatever is going on, you and the Dr. are on top of it. Best wishes for a simple (non cancer) solution to this.
Unread 03-10-2003, 07:07 PM
vaginal bleeding 4 years after hysterectomy

's Lisa! Welcome to Cancer Concerns!

I'm sorry that you are having worrisome symptoms. Vaginal bleeding can be caused by a variety of things. If your hormones aren't quite right, you can have thinning of the vaginal wall which can cause bleeding. Unfortunately, for us women who had their hysterectomies due to dysplasia, well, we are forever worrying that it is going to recur on our vaginal wall. It is rare to have a recurrence on the vaginal wall, but it does happen. It can happen 6 months after a hysterectomy or 6 years after, or 30 years after. No one knows when or why. It is believed that when the cervix is removed that not a wide enough circle of tissue was taken at the top of the vagina, and that a few of the bad cells may then have survived the surgery. Then as time passes, they eventually start to grow again. My doctor does a vinegar test with a colposcopy every year so that he can get a good visual on my vaginal wall (the vinegar turns the bad cells white, making them easier to see). I had a patch of carcinoma-in-situ on my vaginal wall at the time of my hysterectomy, so it was removed then. So far, no recurrences, but I am always worried that since I had it once, I'll have it again.

The good news is that if it is the dysplasia returning then it can be treated if caught early enough. Laser is one option. Surgical removal of the area is a possiblity. Intravaginal chemo is another option. It just depends on what turns up.

If your PAP comes back abnormal, you might like to request an appointment with a gynecologic oncologist--they are the experts when it comes to dealing with female cancers and precancers. But I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that all comes back normal for you.

Good luck, Lisa! Please let us know what you find out!

's and 'ers
Unread 03-10-2003, 11:11 PM

{{Lisa}}

Hello and Welcome to Hystersisters and Cancer Concerns! I'm so glad you found us here.

I hope your pap comes back showing nothing to worry about. I know its so hard to wait for test results, one of those necessary evils we now are way too familiar with.

Let us know how the results come out, we'll be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

{{Hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 03-11-2003, 02:18 AM

Lisa:
I will be waiting to hear about the results. I understand the fear thing all too well. In just one year's time, I went from a normal pap to CIN II moderate dysplasia. Had a LEEP in 1999, but my cervix ended up scarred, and wouldn't budge anymore, so my dr could not get higher up samples to keep monitoring me. had abnormal paps ever since the LEEP anyway. So dr sent me even to a GYN cancer dr to see if he could manipulate the stubborn thing-no luck. He suggested an outpatient procedure that my dr had already tried in her office via local anesthetic. That pap then came back CIN II, then the next one after was back to normal , but I was like, no way am I playing anymore. My dr agreed a hyst would do it. The simple fact was I could develop cancer and they'd have no way of ever knowing since they couldn't get past my immediate clammed up, LEEP pieced cervix. I'm a DES daughter, and we're known for transit times of abnormal cells to be faster, so no way was I going to play around with this anymore. Already saw how in just a year I was normal to CIN II. Had I missed another year-could have been cancer by then for all I know. TAH/BSO was Feb 2001-gyn monitoring is every 6 months for vaginal paps specifically to check for cancer, since I'm always at risk. Last check-up was clear, but waiting to hear the results put me in a panic. My dr office always leaves me a message to call to get the results, but this time I just went into sheer terror-and ended up calling my dr on call, I was so wound up. Everything was fine, but indeed YES-emotionally it is hell waiting in fear. When you have a history, it is a shadow always there somewhere-so I feel for you.
I'll be waiting to hear the results. 4 years later you must be so upset to have revisit some of this fear. I'm sorry.
Unread 03-11-2003, 04:31 PM

Hi Lisa...

I had my hysterectomy almost a year ago and never had any vaginal bleeding..However, every time to go to my gyno that is the one main question that he always asks me.
So in my way of thinking, it may be a symptom of something. Make sure your doctor is on top and aware of the situation.
Keep in touch.
Rosalie
Unread 03-14-2003, 12:08 AM

I want to thank all the ladies, and all your support. I am very blessed to have a wonderful family that is so supportive, but sometimes you just need that....that comfort of being around someone else who has experienced the fear/the cancer scares/the whole ordeal of hysterectomy surgery.

I am a DES daughter. The more I learn. The more I am aware of how much more, I need to take charge of my own care. Even though I have had some wonderful doctors (and some not so wonderful). It seems I am the one who has to take charge. Because I am self-pay. I think doctors are afraid, to give what one doctor called unnecessary tests. In some cases I believe this to be true. But, a normal pap test for me, just isn't going to work.

In 1984, I had my one and only child. I almost lost her three times due to pre-mature labor. Find out, it was caused from being a DES Daughter. No one bothered to inform me of other complications, I might run into later on in life.

In 1986, I had pre-cancerous cells. No idea it was a sympton on a DES daughter. I had lasering & freezing procedures done. That doctor didn't bother to inform me either of future care. (However, he as a great doctor - very gentle, but not very informative). I didn't even know to ask questions.

Most of my life I had normal paps. On very rare occasions, I would have a low level abnormal pap (the typical come back in 6 months and we will re-check) the second pap would always come back fine.

My daughter was almost five, when a study group out of San Francisco, wanted to get in touch with me, in regards to a study of children on DES Daughters. Not until then, did I even have clue what being a DES Daughter ment. I always told doctors I was, but no extra concern.

When I tried to have a second child, is when I learned, and I am still learning about the effects of DES. And it seems there are very few doctors that are experts in the area of DES.

The waiting is the worst. I hope to hear from my doctor tomorrow. No other bleeding besides that one day.

I will keep you posted. Thanks again for all the support.

Lisa
Unread 03-15-2003, 04:41 PM
results

lisa

what were the results of your pap?
Unread 07-06-2004, 11:33 AM
vaginal bleeding

I have just recently had some vaginal bleeding kinda discharge stuff after going to the bathroom. I too had a hyst over a year ago, did have displasia quite a few years ago, had it taken care of . what was your result?
Unread 07-06-2004, 02:52 PM

Hello Ladies,

It's been awhile since I have checked in. My pap test came bag normal. However, my doctor said the incision area still looked to be inflamed. He asked several questions, mostly relating to sexual activities. I assured him there was "Nothing Kinky" going on. He re-tested after 3 months. Another Normal Pap. Which of course is great!!! I haven't had any bleeding since that one incident.

I just got back my last pap result the middle of June. I am now 5 years cancer free. It's a wonderful place to be.

I did however, have complications, getting my 6 month paps, the last two times. I seem to have re-occuring bacterial infections. I never had a bacertial infection, until after my surgery. I had one 3 months after my surgery. And this last year I have had 3 seperate bv's. My doctor of course, will not give me my pap, until everything looks good, so I don't get a false negative or a false positive. My friend told me, she thought she read somewhere that cronic BV's could be a sign of something more serious. But, I haven't really read anything to that effect, and my doctor though he is a good doctor technically, he has a horrible bed side manner, and brushed this idea off. But, like I have always said, we need to take charge of our own health and care.

Again, 5 years is great. I didn't realize how much I was anticipating that phone call from the doctor, and it seems like the pauses last for ever in the conversation. After I hung up the phone. I started to cry, from relief and happiness.

Thanks again, for everyone's support and prayers!!!
Lisa

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.