HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Pelvic/rectal/bladder pressure/frequent urination --and PHYSICAL THERAPY!!! Pelvic/rectal/bladder pressure/frequent urination --and PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!

Unread 03-12-2003, 08:52 AM
Pelvic/rectal/bladder pressure/frequent urination --and PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!

Hi Ladies,
Had my evaluation yesterday with a physical therapist who specializes in female issues with the pelvic floor,incontinence,childbirth and abdominal surgery and wanted to share the results with you.
My first suggestion is that if you're having any of these problems and there is a PT who deals with these issues nearby, ASK YOUR DR for a referral. Most insurance companies cover this and just the things I learned yesterday and the reassurances I got are invaluable.
For background - since about week 3 post-op TAH BSO, I've been having a lot of pressure in the vaginal/perineal area and frequent urination during day when I'm active. The more I'm up and about, the more pressure and bathroom visits, especially by late afternoon. After numerous tests for infections, and Dr. reassuring me that No, nothing was definitely falling out (which was the feeling I have by the end of a busy day), I inquired about PT and he thought it would be a great idea.
My PT ( a female) spent a lot of time explaining all about the pelvic floor muscles, bladder muscles,rectal muscles, uretha and how uterus played a part in their positioning both pre- and post-op. She talked about how a hyster can affect all those areas and had diagrams of cysto-celes,rectoceles, and how vagina interacts with them.
She then did an external exam of my ab - determining where muscles were sensitive/scar tissue located etc... then she did an internal exam - without a speculum as she said that speculums actually push things back into place so it's hard to determine where bladder etc is truely located. She was also able to determine where my internal muscles were weakest, what muscles were actually spasming and then had me do Kegel exercises to determine strength of pelvic floor. She was gentle, thorough and I actually felt like I had had a more thorough exam than from my DR.
The good news is that she feels like, if I do have a cysto-cele, it's very small and can be corrected with exercise, but that the pelvic floor is completely weakened - which may be the cause of my discomfort. She is working up a complete program and next session we'll even do a bio-feedback - with a wand type thing inserted which is hooked up to a computer which then reads muscles vibrations, spasms, and then spits out a lot of info regarding total state of peliv floor. Incredibly interesting!
For now, gave me sets of kegels to do ( 5 slow and hold, 10 quick ) 5x a day, exercises in diaphragmatic breathing and pelvic tilts to start strengthening abs. She also shared a recipe for easing BM's which you can stay on for life which I'll post under another heading.
I feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel after the first visit - rather than my Dr. saying - well, everything looks fine and just go home and learn to live with this... it's normal. Turns out it's not NORMAL and I can be doing something to help get my old life back! YEA!!!
SOrry this is so long but I just had to share -- and I hadn't seen any posts about this before. There is hope Ladies!

1/20/03:TAH BSO - vertical incision for solid septated ovarian mass and uterine hyperplasia with atypia. benign pathology report -YEA!! HRT - Vivelle .075
Unread 03-12-2003, 11:52 AM

Dreamin,
I think I'm having these symptoms. I had alot of pain pressure a few weeks before my hyst and the Dr said it was alot of swelling pushing on things and now the last few days I've been having that feeling again. It feels like something needs to come out or something is stuck up there and it is very uncomfortable. I was going to call my dr but I wonder if you have any suggestions.
Thanks,
Chris
Unread 03-12-2003, 12:11 PM

I'd definitely call your Dr. just to check. I know by the end of the day I feel like something is up there and is going to just fall out. The PT described a rectocele to me as a kind of pocket that can form near the bottom of the rectum and produce pressure as it fills up. BM's often don't empty it or when you do go, more gets pushed into the pocket. That could be a possibility.
Another possibility is internal hemmorhoids. I did develop external ones after all the antibiotics and bowel prep. After I got the all clear from my Dr., I did try some of the internal Prep H suppositories, which seemed to help what I felt what was swollen tissue internally and released some of the pressure. But be sure you check with your Dr. first that you are far enough along to try them.
I was encouraged that the PT thinks my problem may just be weak pelvic floor muscles that have been traumatized.
If all else fails, inquire about the possibility of physical therapy. I'm really glad I did as I was getting so discouraged that this would be the way I felt for the rest of my life.
Unread 03-12-2003, 02:44 PM

Thank you Dreamin for you're input, I think I will call my Dr and see what he says. This is just so uncomfortable and bothersome that I could not live with this and was afraid that maybe it was something that the hyst did'nt help and I might have to.I will let you know what I find out.
Thanks,
Chris
Unread 03-13-2003, 02:59 PM

I'm bumping this because I feel it's important! I didn't even know you could have physical therapy for these issues!
Unread 03-13-2003, 03:00 PM

Hi Ladies

I am 1 yr post TAH 28th March. I too have been suffering frequent UTI'S and feelings of pressure inside vagina as if I need to put something up there and pull it out, really weird sensation. I just thought it was all a part of healing, I am going back to Gyn on 23rd April.

Wish me luck

hugs

JANE
Unread 03-13-2003, 04:11 PM

I was told the fist in my pubic bone area (aka bladder) was bladder spasm due to UTI.

Thanks for information on bowels (sending that out to every woman I know, btw) and on exercise.
Unread 03-14-2003, 07:32 AM

See so many ladies posting these symptons that I thought another bump was in order...
Unread 03-14-2003, 09:07 AM
great post

Dreamin,

Thanks for the info, I to am suffering from recto, but my dr. told me it was not bad enough for surgery yet, I asked how bad does it need to be and he told me ,"falling out", I am so uncomfortable when I have BM's though, I can actually feel the bulge getting worse each time I go. I do kegels and take stool softeners, but what is the BM recipe you learned? Between the hysterectomy and my urethra and bladder surgery I am not looking forward to any more scapels down there, so any input is appreciated.
Unread 03-14-2003, 09:21 AM
whoops

I found your other post with recipe, thanks

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.