HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Fibroids  - are they parasites Fibroids - are they parasites

Unread 03-18-2003, 02:26 PM
Fibroids - are they parasites

HI

After reading a few posts I see that it is thought that fibroids use a lot of the available circulating blood... ?

I always thought that if you grow fat or develop tumours the body will manufacture more blood??

Or did the poster mean that the internal ones cause more bleeding which can lead to anaemia?

Are fibroids parasitic? Do they sap the body of vitamins and nutrients?
Unread 03-18-2003, 02:43 PM

JMHO, but I don't think fibroids are considered parasitic in the basic sense of that term, any more than any other type of tumor is (because that is what a fibroid is). They can cause anemia when one of their symptoms is excessive bleeding.

Some fibroids don't cause problems, some do.
Unread 03-18-2003, 04:07 PM

I spoke briefly with my GYN today, and he said one reason we're doing the hystroscopy first, is apparently some fibroids can be embedded in the tissues - or something like that. So I took that to mean that some could be more on the surface and others embedded. ( Of course, he's also checking for other things during the hystroscopy; polyps, etc.... ) My fibroids are what's causing my heavy bleeding and anemia. My GYN told me today I'm 2-3 pints low on blood! Gee, where do I go for a fill-up?!

So I'd say they certainly can depleat your blood supply, which I suppose could zap the body of nutrients - in a round-about way.
Unread 03-18-2003, 04:18 PM

tknoppe, you go to the hospital for a transfusion, like I did.

I have read that fibroids will draw off of your blood supply...I was thinking like a leech...guess that "IS" a parasite, huh??

Nasty little things...

Meant to add: My dr. said they deplete the blood supply faster than your body can replinish it; which explains the anemia and blood loss from them.
Unread 03-18-2003, 04:22 PM

txkaren - did you really go for a transfusion? Wouldn't my GYN have suggested this? I'm taking 3 slow release iron tablets per day, plus a good multi-vitamin capsule.

My grandmother was always running low on blood and had to go in for transfusions. She was post menopausal, and they couldn't figure out where she was bleeding. My GYN knew what my counts were when I was in last time, but today he really seemed concerned about how low my counts were. Yet, I've read a few posts here where ladies had counts lower than mine. I don't know how they got out of bed!! I'm really struggling every day to just get up at all! Fatigue is an under-statement.
Unread 03-18-2003, 04:31 PM

tknoppe, yes, I did, but it was my second time in three months of being at a 7. Last time, I managed to get back up on my own, but this time was a no-go. I'm sure your dr. is doing what is best for you. Honestly, I would have liked to avoid the transfusion. I have no qualms about surgery, but that just creeped me out! LOL! I have gotten past it though. The fatigue is unimaginable, huh? If you feel that bad, you might call and see how he feels about having it done! Can't hurt to ask! It still took me about a week to feel better, but without it, it would have been MUCH longer!

Hang in there!!

Hugs,
Karen

p.s. Thanks for reminding me about the iron pills...LOL ::running to get my prescription::
Unread 03-18-2003, 04:41 PM

A 7!!!!! Girl, mine's a 10, I should feel awesome compared to you. *sigh* Well, I do have a long list of other health stuff going on too, one being hyperinsulinemia, which also causes fatigue. I guess with my numbers being a 10, I'm not low enough to qualify for a transfusion.

I've got so much health stuff going on, I think they should just gut me like a fish, stuff me and make me a bean-bag!!
Unread 03-18-2003, 04:55 PM

Traci, you're so funny!! I was telling people at work today, being run over by a mack truck MUST feel better than THIS!! It gets old, huh? I am close to grabbing a dull butter knife and doing the job myself!!!
Unread 03-19-2003, 04:02 AM

TKNoppe, I have PCOS too. Make sure they keep giving you your glucophage or similar meds post op. It is not your ovaries that cause this, the hyperinsulinism causes the ovaries to be polycystic. Lots of docs just don't get it. I used to be on a site called PCOSupport and one at INCIID called PCOS cafe, they were great sources of info. Just like here but for PCOS.

Now, the way my gyn-onc described fibroids (and he even had a model of them) when my DH was with me, was that they are fibrous tumors. They can be on the surface, embedded and even block the cervix. I think it isn't the fibroids themselves that bleed heavier but because they are in the uterus, in some manner they cause the uterus to bleed more during menstruation. I know of one lady whose fibroid was so big that it would block off the flow, then her uterus would get so full, she would flood it all out at once. The doctors would check her (even in ER a few times) and they couldn't feel anything because the bleeding would be over by then... until it was actually prolapsed and coming out through her cervix.
Unread 03-19-2003, 04:56 AM

Thanks Stampin' - I have been on the glucophage for the hyperinsulinemia, before we knew about the PCOS, so I will be continuing that.

Fibroids are nasty little things aren't they? I can't believe the size these get for some ladies! WOW!! If you remove them by other methods (not hyst), do they always come back? I've heard caffeine can contribute to their growth, is there any real known cause for them?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.