One more thing to deal with before surgery! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One more thing to deal with before surgery! One more thing to deal with before surgery!

Unread 03-19-2003, 09:32 PM
One more thing to deal with before surgery!

I went to my Internal Medicine dr. yesterday for a blood pressure check and while I was there he decided to check my hemoglobin and ferritin level because he thought I might be anemic since my heart rate was 90 bpm. Turns out my hemoglobin is within the normal range, but my ferritin level is only 8. (I work at the hospital and checked the results on my electronic chart) Since this is rather low, I called his office to ask about my lab results, but they didn't get back to me before I left work. I called work around 5 p.m. to get my voice mail messages and one was from his nurse saying she had my results and a message from the dr and that I should call her in the morning. I sure hope I don't need to take iron supplements! Had to take those during two of my pregnancies. I thought I would never be able to go to the bathroom again. Just one more thing to deal with before my hyst, first the almost constant cramping and now this! Just reaffirms what my gyn dr. said when we first met, "So you're not getting along with your uterus." I love this woman, she listens to me and gives it to me straight. Ok, enough whining. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2003, 10:08 PM

Hi Karen , I was slightly anemic before my hyst too and resisted taking iron for the same reasons as you. It also tended to give me an upset tummy. My dr gave me a slow release iron tablet to take and other than a little extra gas it gave me no extra problems. After a while I even stopped having the gas problem. If you do need iron maybe this is something that might also work for you. Ask your dr about it , they're available over the counter and pretty easy to find. Good luck, please keep us posted.
s
Unread 03-19-2003, 10:18 PM

Me, too! I have been taking the generic form of Chromagen (sp?), which is FeoGen Forte. None of the typical problems I hear about with iron from others. Be sure to ask for it, if he says you need iron supplements! It's RX only, and well worth it! Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2003, 09:46 AM

I talked to my dr's nurse this morning, she said the dr. wants me to take a one-a-day iron supplement with orange juice to replenish my iron stores otherwise I will end up anemic. I guess I'm glad I found out now so I have time to try to build up my iron before surgery. Othewise who knows maybe I would have been anemic in another month and had to postpone surgery for awhile. I'm just kind of bummed knowing the iron is constipating and orange juice gives me heartburn. Oh well, off I go to buy some iron supplements.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register