HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bowels and ovaries Bowels and ovaries

Unread 04-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Bowels and ovaries

Hey Ladies---I think I am at the right forum. Been a long time since I have been here. I've got a few questions. I will be 2 yrs. post in July. Since then, things were pretty ok, then I started having a ton of problems with my bowels starting about this past November. First diagnosis was diverticulitis (am only 34) and now he says irritable bowel Syndrome. What's the connection with hyst. and bowel, as I believe many women experience same thing? Ok, now I kept my ovaries. BUT, for the last about month I have been experiencing some major hot flashes and two night had the night sweats. And my husband said I am usually a very easy going person, but have been a little difficult this past month! Is it common for ovaries to shut down eventually after having hyst.? I have a dr. appt. tomorrow, but just wondering if anybody may have any thoughts. Any added info or questions that I should be asking?
Unread 04-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Bowels and ovaries

Hi there... It has been almost 4 years since my hyst and I was just diagnosed with Crohns disease. I am having a colonoscopy done April 28th to see if there are any cancerous polyps. Ever since my hysterectomy it seems I have had a lot of digestive problems. I hope all goes well with you. Please let me know how your dr's appt went. Maryann
Unread 04-03-2003, 04:27 PM
Bowels and ovaries

Hi coach, I was a July 01 hyst too! Yes I reckon you are in the right place, I just came back recently and these ladies have been treasures.

Sorry to hear you are having problems and hope they get sorted out for you really soon.

My first trip back to the docs this time around was for bowel probs too. Had every test under the sun, colonoscopy, CAT scan etc and they ruled out any nasty bowel things - kinda left me wondering really! Finally got back to the gyn as I was sure my probs and worst pain was cyclical, had a lap and found my ovaries were adhered so out they came.

Am still recovering so can't really say if this has fixed the bowels, they might still be misbehaving from surgery - fingers crossed!

I know adhesions can affect bowels too. Not sure if adhesions could make you ovaries act up but I'd ask that question. Mine just hurt but I wasn't getting flashes etc. (I am now they are gone haha but prefer that to the pain!)

I'm sure someone with a lot more expertise will be along soon to answer whether ovaries shut down - I do remember when I had the hyst that the doc said after hyst that I may go into menopause earlier.... but you are younger than me.

Good luck at the docs, let us know how it goes,

love
Steph
Unread 04-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Bowels and ovaries

LOL I am losing my mind too - I wasn't July I was June - but the end so nearly July

Anyway, I think I remember your name from chat?
Unread 04-03-2003, 04:47 PM
bowels problems post hyster.

Hello ladies,
I read through your posts, and I also am having a sigmoidascope (sp) on April 9th. to have the lower bowel checked out. I had my hyster. on Nov.2,2001 and have had lingering bladder spasms and pelvic discomfort since. It is better than it was, I was on Detrol for months and went off it due to awful headaches. I am taking a natural supplement called Bladder-Q which has helped immensly with the pelvic floor spasms. My gyno. suggested seeing a G.I Dr. due to my pain, thinking it could be bowel related. I guess from what I understand, that the bowels, bladder wall, cervix are so closely related that it is hard to distinguish what is causing the pain. If the bowel is distended with gas or whatever it can push on the bladder. As far as ovaries, I get a pain on my rt. side which I did pre-hyster. too. I also was told that one can go into early menopause after a hyster. too. I'm 40, do not have sweats or flashes at night, but do feel awful PMS some months. It is so frustrating, I know. And we all thought that after the hyster. we would be a "new woman" huh? I feel like I've aged 10 yrs. in the last two.
Hugs to you all,
Paula

P.S- if any of you know the difference between a colonoscopy and a sigmoidscope (which they give you no relaxant or sedative!) ugh...please let me know. Thanks, and hugs to you all-
Paula
Unread 04-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Bowels and ovaries

Paula, the difference between a sigmoid and a colonoscopy is how far they go up the intestinal tract. With a sigmoid, they can only check out the sigmoid colon(lowest part of the large intestine nearest to the rectum) and with a colonoscopy they go all the way
up the small intestine with the scope. Hope that helps........

Emily s
Unread 04-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Touchy subject

This is a touchy subject for me too. I will be 2 years July 2003 and I too have had nothing but bowe problems and had all the test as well. Finally I was dx with adhesions from by doctor. I just manage my diet and don't eat stuff that will increase the pain that accompanys IBS. I have not had my ovaries to shut down yet but I suspect that will happen soon. Take care.
Unread 04-04-2003, 03:23 AM
Bowels and ovaries

Hi Coach,
I can sympathise with the bowel problems. I get cyclical knife like pains and some bleeding. I saw my gyn on Wed and he has referred me to a doc to have a sigmoidoscopy. My gyn thinks that it is the endo back - endo has been confirmed on the left ovary, a cyst has een tracked from last Nov and the US doc is convinced that it is an endometrioma.

Best of luck with your investigations - it's awful having to go down 'the road' after thinking that everything has been fixed up. Thank goodness for all the support we receive through this wonderful site.

Big to you,
Diana
Unread 04-04-2003, 11:03 AM
sigmoidoscopy

Hi Sisters,
Just wondering if any of you have had a sigmoidoscopy??? I'm having one on Mon. and was wondering if they hurt??? I asked if I could drive to and from the appt. and they said yes because they don't sedate you at all. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!! They are ruling out anything bowel related which may be causing my bladder pains/spasms. She suspects pelvic floor spasms (from the hyster. and the bladder adhesion to the uterus I had) or adhesions. Sound familiar ladies???? Argh.....
Hugs to you,
Paula
Unread 04-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Bowels and ovaries

Hi there Troylynne

Except for the fact that I'm 46, I could have written your post

I had my hyst 2 years ago, kept my ovaries and having been having some bowel problems ever since. Now, I do realize that I've basically always suffered from IBS, but the symptoms have been worse and they now include very painful bowel spasms in addition to the constipation, diarrhea cycles (mostly constipation). I've also developped this really nasty problem with burping.. not small dainty burps, but the really loud "manly" burps.

My wonderful gyn explained that the reason so many of us have bowel new or increased bowel problems after hyst is not only due to the fact that the bladder, bowels and uterus are all located in the same area, but to the fact that the bowels settle in the space vacated by the uterus, after the surgery. That process can take a while. I figure that, for those of us already having problems, the disruption might take even longer to settle (forever )

Regarding the ovaries, I've also been having problems in that area. What I've heard is, that after a hyst, the odds are 50/50 that the ovaries will shut down temporarily (mine woke up after 3 months) and high that you will go in natural menopause about 5 years earlier than you normally would.

I really do urge you to consult your doctor and have all of these problems addressed. Including having your thyroid and hormone levels tested. It might just be a case of supplementing your ovaries. I'm having mine tested on the 16th.

I wish you the best of luck. Sending lots of s your way. Please keep us posted.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.