I'm a newbie... Very Nervous & Anxious | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm a newbie... Very Nervous & Anxious I'm a newbie... Very Nervous & Anxious

Unread 04-04-2003, 09:00 PM
I'm a newbie... Very Nervous & Anxious

Hi,

I found this site yesterday right after I found out my surgery date (after a week of nail biting waiting for the surgery scheduler to call me!)

To give you a history: 2 years ago I had an abnormal pap (severe dysplaysia) and a lump was found on my baseline mammogram. Both resulted in surgery: LEEP for the dysplaysia and a breast biopsy for the lump at the same time I had a tubal ligation. Fortunately there was no cancer. Everything was fine for about 6 months, then I started spotting or bleeding in between periods. I could count on one hand the number of days that I didn't spot or bleed.

I returned to the doctor who then put me on birth control. Over a period of a year, I went on three different types increasing in strength, which didn't control the bleeding. So, the next thing the doctor tried was a cryo-oblation but was only able to get into secondary tissue (i.e. couldn't get into the uterous). Because the doctor found that the LEEP caused stenosis of the cervix (major scarring and the entrance the uterus is now much smaller and pointing down). She sent me to an oncologist to determine if there was cancer. The oncologist was able to get in to the uterous to do a biopsy but again there was no cancer. Went back the first doctor who then did an ultrasound which showed I have 3 small fibroids. She put me on another round of birth control this time 150mg! Which made me sick as a dog and still didn't control the bleeding! She said that if this last round didn't work that a hysterectomy would be next.

Now, I've changed insurance plans because my company dropped my old plan. I have a new doctor who wants to do the same things the old doctor did! He said that if I wanted to I could go back through everything I've all ready done with the other doctor or do the hysterectomy. I am tired and worn out and ready to be through with this. So, I've decided to go the hysterectomy route since I don't care to have any more children (remember the tubal from earlier?)

But, now I've made the decision - I am nervous and anxious. I want the bleeding to be over, but, this is the first time I've had major surgery. My parents (mainly my mom), who live in another state, are planning to come help me for about 4 weeks. I'm not sure what to expect, what to ask and how to prepare myself and my loved ones for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2003, 12:33 AM

Lisa:

Welcome!...and here's a ...you look like a woman in need of one.

Your symptoms, when combined with your history, kind of point to adenomyosis, a condition where endometrial tissue (abnormal endometrial tissue) infiltrates the muscular uterine wall. The constant bleeding, combined with the cervical stenosis and tubal ligation, are strongly suggestive of it.

And, the only cure for that is a hyst...which is also needed for diagnosis. Biopsy often misses it; ablation would be utterly ineffective. It does take your mind a while to wrap itself around the idea of a hysterectomy, doesn't it? But if you've already had a LEEP for dysplasia, this is a road you might have been walking down anyway at some point.

Now, about the surgery. It was daunting...I've had laparoscopies before (one in an emergency situation), and I've spent 3 1/2 weeks as an inpatient before, but never surgery this major. Yes, in the end, I was scared! But I knew my body, I knew which pain control was effective for me, and it was OK. The first night, with a total abdominal hyst, I walked halfway down the hall with my DH and DD -- about 9 hours after. I've always been pretty active -- your mileage may vary -- and it did hurt. But I was able to move.

How capable are your parents? I'm asking this question in all innocence: parents can vary from "more trouble than they're worth" to total pampering. You won't feel like doing much those first few weeks. I could put together miso soup with udon and tofu, but that was about it. And driving is restricted for those first two to three weeks, at least!

Do visit our Chat room. You'll find all kinds of s and information, and a place to hang out for when you get the willies!

Good luck, and thank goodness for parents who can come and help!

Audrey
Unread 04-05-2003, 10:25 AM

Nice to see another sister from Georgia- I dont live far from Atlanta and had my surgery done at Northside Hospital.

It good that you will have help after surgery. It is good for you to prepare for some of this b4 time. You can ask your doc if he/she will go ahead and give you the prescription for pain that you will have at home after surgery. That way its already there. I would also suggest buying some of the following things to have on hand IN CASE you need them.
Stool softeners- to keep from getting constipated
Cough Drops or mints- Its uncomfotable to cough
Juices/Water/- drink pleanty of it.
Try to eat healthy- Fruits, Vegt, ect to keep everything functioning well.
GAS X- havent met a sister yet who didnt need this.

Also if you go to the following links you can get valuable information.

1. Reading as much information as possible on your condition- Go to the HELPFUL LINKS Post in the pre op Mess. Board
2. Reading about the Princess Stories. Many women I wrote about their experiences int he hospital- This helped me to know what to expect. This can be found on the Home page, Left side under Hints and Articles.
3. Chat Room- There are many Pre and Post Op Ladies who can give great support and answer questios also.
4. The links below are examples of more info under Hints and Articles.
Good Luck and Keep us posted-
Runabout (Lynne)

Good Luck - I hope this helps you- Keep us informed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2003, 03:14 PM

Hi. I'm 36 and had my TAH in Jan. I too had tried the BC pills to control the flow. I had bad experiences with many I tried from depression to severe mood swings. The last one I was on slowed the flow down, but not how often it came. It also gave me frequent migraines because I haven't had one since my surgery.
Thankfully, my DR spared me the rounds and rounds of other treatments. She suggested a hysterectomy, keeping ovaries rather than be a guinea pig and try a bunch of stuff that probably wouldn't work anyway for me.
I'm 3 months post and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. The recovery is long. I'm still cautious about carrying heavy things and have swelly belly, but I feel sooooo....fantastic. It's like I've been given a new life and a special gift.
My MIL helped me out at home for 2 weeks. I have 3 children. I rested for those 2 weeks. Best vacation a mom could have. I got to sit on the couch, worry about me, watch movies and read books all day long. I think I'm going to have a day all to myself like that once a year on my hysterversary. Yeah!
After 2 weeks, my DR let me gradually start doing laundry, dishes, and cooking and I started taking care of my family again then. At 3 weeks, I was able to drive and started running errands as usual. I did no big shopping trips for 6 weeks. I cleaned one room one day and another the next. Resting is important. Gradually working back up to speed worked great for me. I never had any problems with overdoing it. So much during healing is plain old common sense if you ask me.
The gas pain can be bad. Thankfully, the worst of mine was 3 days. Otherwise, it wasn't difficult to function like normal and my pain was next to none.
I wish you well and good luck. Keep a positive attitude about everything and all will go well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register