HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Tamoxifen after hysterectomy? Tamoxifen after hysterectomy?

Unread 04-09-2003, 01:46 PM
Tamoxifen after hysterectomy?

Hi,

Due to a number of issues, I'm going to have to have a hysterectomy w/ovary removal. Not sure what type of surgery yet, but will be meeting w/my doctor again on April 30 to discuss it.

I'm a breast cancer survivor of one year - last April (2 days after my 35th b'day) I was dx w/IDC, stage IIA, ER++, PR+. I also had 3/11 positive lymph nodes. I went through chemo & radiation & have been on Tamoxifen for about 9 months now.

I'm curious about whether or not I'll be continuing the Tamoxifen. With no ovaries I know there will only be a small amount of estrogen being produced.

For those BC women who've had your ovaries removed, are you still taking Tamoxifen? What did your oncologist recommend?

Thanks,
Lisa
Unread 04-09-2003, 05:17 PM

I've been taking Tamoxifen for 2+ years, and my TAH/BSO was over a year ago. I had breast cancer IIA, ER/PR+, 2/10 nodes positive. I think that studies are showing that Tamoxifen works best in women who are postmenopausal or who are getting chemical ovarian ablation, so I imagine your oncologist will want you to either stay on Tamoxifen or switch to one of the newer endocrine therapies.
Unread 04-10-2003, 01:54 PM

I'm a breast cancer survivor of 3 1/2 years, had been on tamoxifen until it caused uterine problems then I was recently switched to arimidex which so far trials show doesn't have the same bad effect on the endometrium as tamoxifen. After my hysterectomy I'll be able to go back on tamoxifen. Even without ovaries, hormones are still produced by the adrenal glands and (fat?) tissues that are converted to estrogen so you still need something to kill it off. Good luck!
Unread 04-11-2003, 09:39 AM

Hi Lisa--don't know if you saw my other post to you under my posted question but I have been told I will need Tamoxifen after hyster because adrenals and other tissues produce estrogen. At least we won't have to worry about the side effects of uterine cancer afterwards.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.