HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Why do american couples require a blood test before marriage... Why do american couples require a blood test before marriage...

Unread 04-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Why do american couples require a blood test before marriage

Hi everyone

I know this is off topic but ive always been curious as to why american couples require a blood test before marriage, can anyone enlighten me.....

thanks

chelle
Unread 04-13-2003, 08:48 PM
Blood test

Hi Chelle,

It's not a federal law -- it's state-by-state regulation. Found this on a web site:

"Some states still require couples to have blood tests before they can receive a marriage license. Such tests may check for many types of venereal or other communicable diseases. Most states do not require testing for AIDS."

Good luck with your MRI. Close your eyes and imagine yourself in your favorite place.

Mary D.
Unread 04-13-2003, 09:16 PM
rh factor

When DR's first found out about the rh factors[the woman being a - type and the man being a +] causing miscarrige, they started typing couples blood before marrige to make sure she would not have trouble having children or need the "brand new" shot DR's had just come out they did also screen for std's my state doesn't require the blood test anymore.
Unread 04-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Why do american couples require a blood test before marriage...

California has two types of marriage license... the traditional one, which is a matter of public record, requires a blood test. The other one, called a "Certificate of Confidential Marriage", does not require a blood test and is kept out of the public records (for example, newspapers don't get access to the files). Leave it to us to be quirky
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-14-2003, 10:20 AM

In Canada they used to have the blood tests and, I've always been told, it was to check for the RH factor. I don't think this blood test is required any more or it could be a Province by Province legislation
Unread 04-15-2003, 01:15 AM

I've only heard about the syphlis reason, not about the Rh factor reason.

I also read that when the tests were first proposed as a requirement for a marriage license, men opposed them -- they considered it an invasion of their privacy (I think they weren't being proposed for women, it was assumed that all women were virgins at marriage)!!!! And this before there was penicillin to treat it, so a woman could DIE because the man who theoretically loved her wanted to guard his privacy!!!

Charlotte Perkins Gilman (1860-1935), who wrote Herland (and many other books, and had her own magazine, The Forerunner) was one of those most active in advocating compulsory blood tests in order to obtain a marriage license.
Unread 04-17-2003, 10:36 PM

My DD recently got married ...no blood test required here.

s
Unread 04-18-2003, 08:31 AM

No blood tests required here, actually.

And between you, me, and the doorpost, I think that's a big mistake.
Unread 04-24-2003, 06:02 AM
RH Factor

We had the standard blood tests and my husband is RH Pos and I am RH negative. No one told us this and we did not find out till years later when I had a misscarriage. So much for prevention measures.
Unread 04-25-2003, 08:21 PM

Hi (((Chelle)))

In Indiana, when I was married, (36 years ago) the tests were still required - I remember that I fainted and woke up on a cot in the doctor's back room.

In Florida, where I live now, there are no blood tests required, but in Georgia, the state just north of us, they are still required, I believe.

(((Dixiepeep))) I'm so very sorry that you had a miscarriage.

(((Marian))) I agree - I think the tests should be mandatory everywhere.

's

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.