HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Prolapse, recovery and getting on with life Prolapse, recovery and getting on with life

Unread 04-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Prolapse, recovery and getting on with life

My surgery on 2/26 was done due to uterine prolapse. This had caused both a rectocele and cystocele which I had repaired along with a bladder suspension and another repair which I think is calles a perinoplasty? . This was done mainly to correct pretty severe urinary incontinence as I really was not in any pain. My MD quoted his sucess rate with this surgery at 89% which for me was good odds considering how miserable I was. Since having the surgery I am almost 100% dry and very happy with that. My problem is I have read so much in books and on different websites that quote much higher rates of failure for prolapse surgery and for many ongoing problems and multiple surgeries. This is so scary for me that I am almost scared to get on with my life waiting for the ball to drop so to speak. I was also very active before and I know there are bans for life like no heavy lifting but the constant worry of doing something wrong will drive me crazy. Any of you long term prolapse repairs have any words of wisdom for me? Sorry so long but these fears are eating me up. I guess I am a prime example of a little knowledgw being a damgerous thing. Thanks.
Unread 04-14-2003, 06:06 PM

Glad your surgery was successful. I had a rectocele repair with mine. I think there are risks in just about anything we do. Don't you? At least we have the chance to take the risk so we can make the problem better. We should be alright following our Dr. instructions and not lifting obnoxiously heavy things. I know that I'm not to get constipated or strain to keep the rectocele repair from going back like it was. You will do just fine as you live with your new repairs and feel so much better. I did mention to my Dr. all the medical information I was getting off the web sites and he shook his head and told me most of those problems don't happen very often at all. Yes, sometimes too much info could be dangerous. He suggested that I might not visit those sites and just ask him the questions and let him do the worrying. I hope you continue to enjoy the good results of your surgery as I know I will.

s
Unread 04-28-2003, 05:51 AM

You are EVENTUALLY able to lift heavy things...yes? I mean its only until the scar tissue heals isn't it?? 6-8 weeks?

As you can tell I'm pre-op!
CB
Unread 04-28-2003, 06:16 AM
In the same boat

I had all the same things that you had done a week ago. I work in a heavy job (tire building) and am expected to make a full recovery and be able to go back to work full time (using a gradual return program) within a couple of months, but in this time I have to behave myself and take care of me.

Make sure you listen to your body - not all the stuff you have been reading. You are the best judge of yourself. Take things in stride.

Isn't it so nice to sneeze, cough, laugh and walk without leaking! I never thought I would do that again - and the feeling of it 'all hanging out' is so nice to have gone....things were pretty loose before my surg. and the big joke was my response to 'what are you up to?' and I'd say to my girlfriends...'just hangin' out' lol
Unread 04-28-2003, 09:33 AM

I had the cysto/rectocele repair and TAH. I adhered to the 4 weeks of 10# restriction, and I am trying to adhere to the 20-25# restriction until this Thursday. Must admit failure to adhere to that one. I just listen to my body and let it tell me when too much is too much. I think if I lift properly (bending knees and protecting my back/belly) things should hold up. My doc was very optimistic, and I feel that as long as I keep a positive outlook - things will be good!

I'm so happy to find a place to talk about this, and to find others with similar fears/joys. . . I was getting lonely. . .thanks for being here!

Loree

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.