HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

0.05mg climara patch 0.05mg climara patch

Unread 04-22-2003, 07:02 PM
0.05mg climara patch

Hi Sisters,
I was just wondering if anyone else is on the Climara patch and if the strength I'm on is a normal one to start. My Doctor put me on the patch 3 days post op and will have me try it for three months. I personally haven't had any menopausel symptoms of yet( I am 5 weeks post op) TAH/BSO. I prefer to wait and see if I develop any concerns and if I do I prefer to have my naturalpathic physician prescribe natural remedies. My mom had the same surgery when she was 30 and never had any menopausel symptoms, she died last year at 60 and my grandmother went through natural menopause at 50 and never had any symptoms and she died last year at age 86, I think I may have the same hereditary traste, so do you think I need the estrogen patch? I know it is my choice but my doctor thought because I was so young(41) and never had children that I would need the estrogen replacement early on. Any comments or suggestions would be great. As always thank you Hystersisters, you have all been so supportive.
Debbie A
Unread 04-22-2003, 08:15 PM
Climara

I'm 10 weeks post op and my doc put me on climara immediately. She started me on .1 but changed me to .075. If you check out the website about climara you'll see they say it helps prevent osteoporosis. I truly believe it's worth taking it if it helps prevent bone loss. I've noticed a lot of people prefer no hrt or natural, but I haven't noticed any side effects so far, so I'm sticking to my patch!!!
shirley
Unread 04-22-2003, 08:24 PM
same patch and dosage

Debbie,
I am on the same patch and dosage. Have been on it for nearly a year now, also since 3 days post-op. Never had hot flashes, but once mildly same day I started patch. Am suffering from low libido and had a problem with sleep. Added natural over the counter progesterone cream twice a day and it helped with sleep problems and I think with weight problems, but who knows.
Don't really have much information for you about what is normal. I kept thinking from other posts that my dosage seemed lighter, but I am older than you - 51,however, was having periods regularly before surgery. I also wonder whether to continue on or not, but will see my doctor for my one year checkup next month and talk it over with her. It seems to have worked well with me so far, except for the disappointing sexual problems.
My mother had a hysterectomy in her thirties, so I don't know when her normal menopause would have been, but I have a older sister who stopped a year younger than I am now, and a sister two years younger who has already stopped having periods, so I suppose I was probably already near menopause already.
It's always nice to know if what we are doing seems in line with most everyone else and how it is working. Hope all goes well for you. You do seem young to me to not have any hormonal supplement.

Carol

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.