HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hair color before surgery Hair color before surgery

Unread 04-24-2003, 11:34 AM
Hair color before surgery

I was going to pamper myself before the big day and get my hair colored and cut.... this way I don't have to worry about it for a few weeks.

Has anyone heard that they shouldn't get their hair colored before the op?

Thanks!
Unread 04-24-2003, 12:11 PM
Hi,

I colored my hair right before my surgery, and it did fine. However, my hair stylist told me NOT to color it or get a perm or anything for a few months afterwards as the anesthesia can do weird things to your hair. So it might be good to do it beforehand so you don't have to worry about it for awhile later.
Unread 04-24-2003, 02:01 PM

Hi, I had my hair highlighted a week before my surgery and it did great. I was told the same about not doing anything for a couple of months after also. I'm almost 9 months post op now and have recently had it permed and colored, both did very well.
S
Unread 04-24-2003, 02:37 PM

Thanks for your replies. I'm definitely going to do it!! And I'll definitely wait a good amount time before perming and coloring my hair after the op!
Unread 04-24-2003, 02:39 PM
What??????

OMG! I didn't know I was going to have to stop coloring my hair for awhile! Yikes! I haven't stopped coloring my hair since I was in high school and I'm 39 now! I wonder what it will be like?

Well, I'm going to make a note to have it done before surgery then.

Thanks for thinking of this...it never would have occured to me!

Rita
Unread 04-24-2003, 03:10 PM

I went for a foil and color wash 3 weeks post-op and my hair came out normal. My hairdresser didn't do anything different on that visit. Not sure how anesthesia could impact your hair????
Unread 04-24-2003, 05:39 PM

Hi ladies! Here's a link to a thread where hair color was discussed a while back over in the Post Op forum:

Post Op Hair Color Info

Hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-24-2003, 07:12 PM

I had my hair highlighted the day before my surgery. You definitely don't want a perm after surgery for at least 6 - 8 weeks. It is strange but the anesthesia affects the entire body, including your hair. I found out the hard way. Several years ago I just didn't even think to tell my hairdresser and within two weeks my perm had gone straight. When I told her what happened she couldn't understand. Then uh oh... I mentioned the surgery and yep, she said that was it.

Do it before!!!!

TC
Unread 04-24-2003, 07:31 PM

Wow! I had no idea.

I colored my hair just before surgery, but didn't know about not coloring it for a few months after. Does this include coloring it yourself?
Unread 04-24-2003, 07:46 PM

No one ever told me anything about hair color not working well immediately post-op, so I went ahead and colored my hair myself, 2 weeks after surgery, to celebrate the fact that I was feeling a lot better. It's a deep cocoa brown, which is very close to what my natural color was before it started getting gray streaks. Also, I chose that time to switch from a level 2 to a level 3 hair color. To make a long story short: It worked just great, and I think it was actually easier on my hair than two different "gentler" level 2 colors were. I now refer to my new hair color as "Better Than Estrogen". :-)

Juliepede

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.