HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Study confirms testosterone is important in maintaining vaginal health Study confirms testosterone is important in maintaining vaginal health

Unread 04-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Study confirms testosterone is important in maintaining vaginal health

Hi ladies! There's a new study out that confirms the notion that androgens, including testosterone, play a role in regulating vaginal smooth muscle and vaginal blood flow. It's published in the journal Fertility and Sterility (79:925-31, 2003).

Vaginal tissue specimens from pre and postmenopausal women were studied... the samples were taken during surgery for prolapse or incontinence. The density of receptors for testosterone was measured. Androgen receptor density was significantly less in postmenopausal women.

If you want to see the whole study report, you can go to this link:
http://www.orgyn.com/news/2003/Week_...drogen_rec.asp and follow the link to the journal. You will have to register to visit this link but registration is free.

The sample size in this study was small, and the results did not mention whether any of the postmenopausal women were surgically menopausal (presumably not if they were having surgery at the time) or on any HRT (again, presumably not, but we don't know).

However, it does lend support to the idea that testosterone is helpful in maintaining proper moisture and elasticity in vaginal tissues, which is something that some of us here have already found out!

Just thought some of you might be interested.

-Linda
Unread 04-30-2003, 02:15 PM

I just want to add something positive here. Before I started on the testosterone, I noticed that I was having some urine leakage, when I had to go I HAD to go. And it did seem to me that no matter how many kegels I was doing my vagina just didn't seem as tight as it was. I have been on testosterone for three months now. BTW, I did get my base changed to the "whipped" cream instead of the glycerin base gel. And I really like the cream base, looks kind of like frosting. It seems to absorb so much better. Anyways, I have noticed with in a month of using the testosterone the urine leaking had diminished and now three months later it is al but stopped and DH even made a comment on "have you been doing more kegels?" So I truely believe that it has helped. AND I was starting to have thinning pubic hair and it's growing back and I am not having a dryness problem either. The only effect that is less than postive regarding using the cream is my chin and nose seem to be a bit oilier than they were but that's easily solved. I've had so much postive out of this that it's changed my entire life from what I was feelig six months ago. Thanks for sharing this study with us Linda.
Unread 04-30-2003, 03:05 PM

Thanks Linda, that's very interesting. We know so much about estrogen, but not enough about testosterone. Thanks for the info.

Marta
Unread 04-30-2003, 05:38 PM

Testosterone gets my vote, too! I can't say enough how pleased I've been with it, as is DH. I no longer have the after sex pain with urination for days and days like I used to - that is to say I no longer feel raw and I don't feel like I have a UTI for days on end after intercourse. It's taken over two months, but my vaginal dryness is nearly a thing of the past. Up until recently sex without a lot of Astroglide was impossible. I can't wait for my GYN checkup in June to tell my Dr. how very, very happy I am!

Cwbysldi, I use the cream testosterone, too. I find that it absorbs very quickly and works fast, too!

Linda, I appreciate your sharing this report with the ladies here. It's always nice to have something in writing that validates what we already know.
Unread 04-30-2003, 06:20 PM
What do I do??

I just received 2 vaginal creams, Premarin and Testost. I was asking my Dr. questions about sex “now”(post hyst), and she told me that these would help the vaginal wall. She said that due to the loss of estrogen my vaginal wall will become thinner, and with using these creams will help. O.K. with that said…now I have the creams and I’m not sure how to use them. I called my Dr. yesterday and she hasn’t called me back yet. I’m wondering about O.D.ing on estrogen. I also use a 0.05 Vivelle dot. The tube of Premarin says each gram contains 0.625 mg conjugated estrogens. WHAT???? The Testost cr. is 2%. Another question I have is how do I use these, and how often? Do you only use it as a lubricant, or as a weekly med.?

When I went to get these scrips from my pharmacy, the pharmacist didn’t have them in stock (Northwest Kansas enough said ) so he sent them to me in the mail. I didn’t have a chance to talk to him on how to use them. What was REAL funny was when they came in the mail the Vivelle dot box said to apply patch on upper chest or arm. HA, HA, HA,!! Don’t worry I didn’t put it there. My pharmacist doesn’t usually miss things like that!

If anyone can help me with info. on the creams, I’d appreciate it.
Unread 04-30-2003, 06:38 PM

Hi Erica! The best thing to do is to ask your DR about how much and how to use the creams. There are a few threads around here about this, too... if you do a search in the Hormone Jungle forum on titles of threads and use 'premarin cream' for one and 'testosterone' as the other, you should be able to find them.

This is what my DR told me. For the Premarin cream, if you're using it to repair major damage or heal from a surgery (which I was), use 1 full applicator 3x a day for a couple of weeks. It's inserted in the vagina just like the yeast infection creams. If it's for maintenance (which I'm guessing is what you want), use maybe 1/2 inch to 1 inch in the applicator tube nightly at first, and you might be able to decrease to half as much every night or that amount two or three times a week once things feel better in there.

If you're using small amounts (the maintenance dose above) of the Premarin cream vaginally, it shouldn't appreciably pass through to the rest of your body and shouldn't affect your patch dosage.

For the testosterone cream... mine is 1% so you'd probably use less than this. I started with a pea sized blob nightly, applied to the vulva (outside), for two weeks. My maintenance dose is the same size blob, every other night.

Once things are feeling pretty healthy there, you can always try backing off and using a little less of either or both. I no longer have to use vaginal estrogen, just the patch and the testosterone cream, although I do keep a tube of vaginal Premarin around just in case!

And BTW, I'm glad that you didn't put the patch on your breasts! What were they thinking?

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.