HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Question about pathology report VS. surgical report... Question about pathology report VS. surgical report...

Unread 04-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Question about pathology report VS. surgical report...

Hi Ladies..........I have copies of all my records from my old gynecologist who did my hysterectomy. I saw him for 7 years prior to my hyst and totally trusted him when he told me that I needed to have the hyst. Prior to my surgery he told me that when he did my tubligation in 99' that he had seen an area of endometriosis and had noted it on my surgical report at the time (he never mentioned this to me after my surgery in 99', he told me this in 02') and that is why he was so adament that I needed to have the hyst done. My new dh and I at the time were discussing a tubal reversal. I agreed to an Exploratory laparotomy to find the source of my pain, with the agreement that IF he found it necessary to do a hyst that he had my permission. In my surgical report from my hyst, he says there was endometriosis present and a large fibroid within the uterus.

I was reading over all of my old records from his office last night and my surgical report from my tubal mentions NOTHING about me having endo or anything about him seeing or suspecting endo, but when I was in his office that day when he said I needed to have the hyst, he was supposedly reading this to me directly off of my surgical report from 99'. Also, when I looked at the pathology report from my hyst it says "all tissues NEGATIVE for endometriosis" and it also says "all specimens unremarkable".

My question is: I know if there had been endo present that it would have shown up on the pathology report right? but what about this fibroid that my Dr. mentions in his surgical report that was inside of my uterus. If there was a fibroid wouldn't that be on the pathology report too?

I saw another gyn after my hyst for continuing pain and brought with me a copy of my pathology report, after reading it, he was very curt and somewhat rude to me and wanted to know why I had a hyst to begin with and said that my pathology report showed that nothing was wrong with anything that was removed.(Needless to say I didn't go back to him) I found out after my hyst that my gyn who did the surgery has been sued quite a few times for medical malpractice. Not that I plan to do that but I am wondering now if he made up all of this stuff just to talk me into the hyst (when actually my problem turned out to be a hernia) and shouldn't the things on his surgical report jive with the pathology report?

Thanks in advance to anyone who is knowledgable about this stuff.
Dawn
Unread 04-30-2003, 08:15 PM

My pathology report doesn't mention endo either, but the surgery report does as does the surgery report from the lap that I had 3 months prior to the hyst. I also have pictures from the lap that show the endo. I also have pictures of two big ol fibroids that were removed via hysteroscopy with myomectomy.

I can't explain why one mentions it and other one doesn't, but thought I would share with you that my path report doesn't mention it either, even though I have pictures to prove that I had it.
Unread 05-01-2003, 08:43 AM

Dawn,
While I'm not knowledgeable about this stuff I did have a similiar reaction from one of the gyns I went to after my hyst. She looked thru all the records and than asked why I had a hyst. I guess 2 docs can have different opinions. I do know that I was in constant pain and was bleeding more days than not. I couldn't plan any activities without being near a bathroom. In my I do know that the hyst was necessary.

As I said before I don't know much about medical terminology but I do know that my reports indicated lots of adhesions and other stuff that make it sound to me like I was a mess inside.

I also try to remember that I cannot go back and change things, so I look to the future.

Unread 05-01-2003, 09:02 AM

I had a similar problem. My surgical report does show that my doctor as well as another doctor that helped her (they're in the same practice) both state that there was active endometriosis.
I had a lap and it showed the same thing (before the hyst) and my doctor had showed it to every doctor in her practice who agreed with her.

But both path reports showed just fibrosis and inflammation of cell infiltrates.

Go figure! I know that I was in pain and that's all that matters to me and that the doctor's saw it.

Phoebe

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.