HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What is "normal" thickness of uterine lining? What is "normal" thickness of uterine lining?

Unread 03-11-2004, 01:32 PM
What is "normal" thickness of uterine lining?

As you can probably tell, I'm still nervously awaiting my uterine biopsy results. I can't seem to find anywhere what a normal lining of the uterine wall is supposed to be for a premenopausal woman of 43. What does it mean, besides cancer, to be told your uterus is "the same size as a pregnant persons?" And, in addition to that, endometrial cells were found in the Pap.

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Bell
Unread 03-11-2004, 02:32 PM

Hi Bell,

I had my uterine biopsy a little more than a month ago. They did mine because I have a "thick" lining I'm guessing that it was okay because I haven't heard from the doctor (she said that if it was cancer they'd do a more aggressive treatment). I can't speak for your doctor but mine compared the size of my uterus in pregnancy terms because that was how I could relate. Mine is 14 1/2 weeks and I do look that pregnant. So, I don't think because they used those terms that they think you have cancer. I think they use that particular measurement very often. If you really are anxious about the results of your biopsy, call your doctor.
s
Debbie D
Unread 03-11-2004, 02:34 PM

Oh, believe me I did. They haven't gotten the results back yet. I'm concerned about cancer because of the thickening and also the bad pap. I'm sure I'll know soon enough.
Unread 03-11-2004, 02:38 PM

I am told that i have thick lining, with an enlarged boggy uterus. My dr. told me that some woman just are that way. I have a hysterectomy planned.
Unread 03-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Here's a thought...

If you haven't had one yet, ask to have ultrasounds done, as that can detect the lining thickness. At least mine did.

I had vag & transvag ultrasounds last May, August and then October. That's external and internal also, I say I was "WANDED" as that's how the internal is done. With a WAND. Yikes.

The May report stated that the lining was 2cm. No wonder I have a big belly.

Then I had D&C/hysteroscopy/biopsy in early July. The August
ultrasound films said my lining was 5 to 6mm. Hmm. Was that from the D&C I wondered. Or was my May test right before my period when the lining supposedly is built up more.

Oct. report said I was at 9mm. No big alarm from ob/gyn.

Oh, I do have an enlarged uterus, like 13cm x 9cm x 6cm but that was never related to me in "pregnancy/uterus sizes." So I will probably do a post query on that at some point!

Good luck, ask for ultrasounds if you haven't had them already.
Nancym
Unread 03-12-2004, 11:25 AM
uterine biopsy

I just had a uterine biopsy to check the lining prior to surgery. The doctor said sometimes if it's real thick it can indicate cancer but it also differs depending on your cycle and if you're on the bc pill (which she said keeps it real thin). I don't remember the size or cm. I've had two ultrasounds but she preferred the biopsy to tell her more. I actually didn't think it was that painful, just alittle crampy.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway