HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

no more periods?...yeah right! no more periods?...yeah right!

Unread 11-01-2002, 07:48 AM
no more periods?...yeah right!

Woke up in the middle of the night to a prominent tickle down there, put my hand down to investigate and felt a lot of wetness. Got up and went to the bathroom and my fingers were covered in blood! Wiped about 6 times before the toilet paper came clean. Here I thought life was grand, you think I have anymore pads in the house?! I celebrated "pad give-away-day" a couple of months ago. I called the surgeons office at 9am and the receptionist asked me if I was stressed for any reason, I said No, but I am going back to work for the 1st time in 3 and a half months so maybe deep down that's worrying me. She said to just chart it and see if it happens again next month. I said, "So it can have something to do with my cycle?" and she said Yes. I calculated when my period 'would've' been and that was last week. Anyone else 'bleed' after their hyst? How can it bleed when it's a 'dead end' up there? I'm 3 and a half months post and not impressed.
Thanks in advance.
Unread 11-01-2002, 07:57 AM

Wow...this is not what I wanted to read. I am so sorry this is happening tio you, and I am also so afraid of that happening to me. One wonders if it is hormoonal, physical, or what? Since it is near your reg cycle, it seems hormonal, but what gives?? Why don't thay tell us this before? If it is stress, well then we ALL will be bleeding a lot! Plus I hate to think we will never know when to expect "surprise" bleeding, and not be prepared for it. Isn't that one of the things we were trying to get rid of?

I will be waiting anxiously to read the responses you get on this.

nervous gret
Unread 11-01-2002, 09:34 AM

Melly,

Did you have EVERYTHING removed?

Mongie
Unread 11-01-2002, 09:46 AM

No, just my uterus. Kept ovaries and cervix.
Unread 11-01-2002, 10:04 AM
no periods??

Oh Melly..... that's not what I want to hear. I did start bleeding exactly 7 days post op... I am 12 days post op and still spotting.... did you have any endometriosis?? that would still shed... I too still have both ovaries. maybe an endo problem...Keep us posted...
Unread 11-01-2002, 10:12 AM
Periods

It's my understanding that if you have ovaries and your cervix, then you can still experience "mini periods". You can do a search on here and find other posts. Definitely something to continue discussing with your doctor.

Sorry it's back for you!

Unread 11-01-2002, 10:41 AM

Yes, Melly. OmahaKitty is right. That has been my understanding as well. Would check with your dr, though. I've done a search on the web & can only find info that says "if the uterus is gone, periods are gone". So, that is a bit confusing.

I'm sorry this is happening for you! I would definitely keep up discussions with your dr, though, in case it is something more.

Best wishes to you.

Mongie
Unread 11-01-2002, 10:56 AM

The confusion stems from the fact that the cervix is in fact *part* of the uterus. It does sound like mini-periods to me, too. Talk with your DR.
Unread 11-01-2002, 11:41 AM
possible

I know my doctor said there was a possibility I may get a little bleeding from the cervix (which he left behind) but he didn't
think it would be much if I did get any. Maybe there is more chance if the ovaries are left behind as they are "cycling" ?
Do you know if the receptionist is medically trained in any way ? I always ask to talk to the nurse or the doctor on any matter I need a medical opinion on (and this would be one of those).... I only trust the receptionist with appointments and prescription refills (am I mean or what ??)
Take care and keep us informed ..........
Unread 11-01-2002, 12:28 PM

Hello fellow canuck!
I agree with the other ladies, try to see or speak with your doctor. I asked my surgeon prior to surgery if I would still get periods after because I was keeping an ovary and my cervix and he told me no. He removed all the endo and there wasn't any on my cervix so I should be fine (knock on wood).

Perhaps you've been too active. It takes a long time to fully heal internally. If your surgeon can't see you then see your family doctor.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.