HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

If you are keeping your cervix and ovaries, you can still have mini-periods! If you are keeping your cervix and ovaries, you can still have mini-periods!

Unread 11-01-2002, 03:10 PM
If you are keeping your cervix and ovaries, you can still have mini-periods!

Just FYI to the ladies in waiting who are planning to keep both your cervix and your ovaries. What your doctor may not tell you is that the cervix, being part of the uterus, may still bleed each month, hence the term "mini-periods". The main way to prevent mini-periods is to have the cervix removed too, though there may be other options you could check out with your physician.

For more information, check out this post over on the Post-Op board. http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=79186
Unread 11-01-2002, 08:11 PM
Talk to your surgeon

Several women have posted this year they have mini-periods. My understanding is that this can be eliminated, or very nearly so, by removing the endometrial tissue lining the cervix. Sort of a mini-endometrial ablation. Some surgeons make this a standard part of the procedure, but apparently not all.

I lucked out, but apparently LIW's should talk to their surgeon to make sure.
Unread 11-02-2002, 05:32 AM

This is true Evelyn, a lot of it depends on the skill of your Surgeon and just how much Endometrial Tissue they leave, thanks for sharing this
Researchers are finding out more and more just how of an important role the cervix plays during intercourse. They now believe it DOES have nerve endings which contribute to our sexual response it also provides support for other organs. JMO, but if organs are healthy they should be retained, most certainly not removed because your Dr is not used to leaving the Cervix, fear of mini-periods, or yearly Paps. Women who've had their Cervix removed still need to have yearly Pap smears due to the small risk of a rare vaginal Cancer.
Here is a wonderful site that explains just what roles these organs play in our sexuality:

www.newshe.com

Here's a couple of links discussing Laproscopic Hysterectomy and reducing complications:

http://www.reproductivecenter.com/simplified.html
http://www.reproductivecenter.com/reducing.html

It all comes down to researching and being able to make a well-informed, educated decision concerning what is best for you and your health.

PS-Thanks Shashi for sharing this....
Unread 11-02-2002, 05:52 AM
as it was explained to me

I asked my dr. just this very questions on Thursday at the castle as I was keeping my ovaries and cervix. He is a very skilled surgeron and when I told him just before the operation that I wanted No more Periods, he kind of chuckled and said what usually happens is there is a "spotting" not a period anymore and that he would scrape off some of the cervix to help eliminate this spotting. This is my second day post op and I am not bleeding at all. I hope that this continues.
Unread 11-02-2002, 07:09 AM
Mini-periods?

I think there is too much emphasis on this mini-period thing. As special angel's Doc. said, most women just spot. I spotted perhaps twice. I think the benefits outweigh worrying about mini-periods. The cervix emits postglandins, which are very beneficial.
Unread 11-02-2002, 08:35 AM

Sheri, my Dr. also explained to me that the cervix is important for sexual response and that keeping the cerix holds everthing intact and have about a 5% chance of having other organs drop, rather than an 40-50% chance when removing the cervix. I'm very happy with my decision to keep my cervix and ovaries.
Unread 01-10-2003, 07:00 PM

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.