HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories Articles

HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy


TAH/BSO - Home after surgery last week

From the Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories Articles List

Dear Sisters,
I found it very comforting to read your posts pre-hysterectomy and felt that I owed everyone a good long report on my surgery, so here goes:

I had known for about 6 weeks that I would have the surgery on the 29th of March, so I was able to do a fair amount of preparation. I took extra vitamin C (500 mg plus bioflavonoids with meals when I remembered, bought extra pillows and a nightgown and robe for the hospital (and pink slippers to match, of course). I read five books and perused this website for days on end, spend lots of time reading posts in the days right before the surgery.

On the Monday morning before my Wednesday surgery I woke up with a cough and started to panic. I was totally ready to get this over with and was very afraid it would be postponed. I took lots of vitamin C, zinc, echinachea, losenges, herbal cough drops, and everything else I could find in the health food store.

I was supposed to be at the hospital at 8 a.m. on Wednesday. I called the doctor at 6 to say I had a cough -- hoping she would say "no problem."( In fact, she said that wouldn't be a problem unless I had fever. Did I have a fever? I told her I didn't think so... didn't feel hot.) She also told me my surgery had been postponed until the afternoon so not to show up until 10:30. I didn't have a fever, went to the hospital at 10:30, registered and then waited, and waited, and waited. Finally, they told me I could go in, get undressed and give my dh a hug. We (there were several others going up to surgery) went up to the surgical floor and sat down in a holding area until the operating rooms were ready. While I was there my doctor showed up and introduced me to two of her residents. Then the anesthesiologist and his resident appeared and were duly introduced along with a colleague from her office, who also joined us. By the time we went to the operating room we were a rather large party. I said I hoped the operating room would be big enough to hold all of us! After we got in the room I was helped onto the table and the anesthesiologists went to work (good that there were two; one for each arm!). They said they were going to give me a sedative, which I think was Versed, and that was the last thing I remember until I was talking to the nurse, back in my room. I don't even remember the recovery area. In previous surgeries I remember once feeling nauseated (not this time), once feeling very cold (not this time), and once being told to wake up and open my eyes (that happened this time, but I don't remember it. My doctor reported to my husband that I was fine and had responded to all of the anestheiologists commands. My dh told her that was funny, because ordinarily I never respond to commands!)

Back in the room, I noticed I still had the pulsating cuffs on my legs. They periodically inflated and deflated and stayed on during the night. I also had an oxygen mask, later replaced by oxygen prongs in my nose, and an IV. The IV had a nutrient. There was also an antibiotic drip and a morphine drip. In addition to the morphine in the IV, there was a button-controlled analgesic and I was encouraged to press the button if I needed additional pain relief. I slept on and off all night. Later that evening I got a roommate (I was vaguely aware of the noise when she came in and got processed. The next day she told me it was close to midnight when she arrived).

When I woke up the next morning they took out the catheter. There was a breakfast tray with only clear liquids -- lovely breakfast: tea, cranberry juice, jello and fruit ice! I was encouraged to get out of bed, urinate if I could (I couldn't) and walk over to the sink to wash my face and brush my teeth, which I did. I noted that it isn't often I get a room with a view of Central Park, so I sat by the window for a while. For lunch there was a tray identical to breakfast. Fortunately I wasn't hungry. I kept drinking the liquids and waiting for the pee to arrive. By late afternoon, this had turned into the drama of the day. If I didn't go, I would need to have the catheter back again... nothing like a little pressure! So, okay, I went, and that was one hurdle.

I had discouraged visitors and my husband was the only person who stopped by the first day... considering how I looked and felt, that was fine. By day two, I was healing and getting good reports from the doctor and her residents. I was told to spend all of day two resting with some short walking expeditions up and down the hall. That was fine with me. I had also been told by my doctor that I would get more food variety and had high hopes for the lunch tray, but once again, it was clear liquids (my fifth clear liquid tray if I'm counting right). After some complaining, (I like to think I was polite, but a little indignation doesn't hurt) they managed to produce some real food for dinner. I still wasn't really hungry, but I picked at a biscuit and ate a few bites of some chicken dish, which I think was supposed to be chicken potpie. Best of all, there were two chocolate chip cookies, so I was happy.

By now there was no fever, I was healing, and gas formation had started. I was definitely on the road to recovery.

Saturday morning I was ready to go home. There had been some guy screaming in the hallway in the middle of the night (looking for his brother, but we were on a floor with only female gynecology patients, so he was clearly in the wrong place!) My doctor showed up about 10 a.m. and pronounced me ready to go home (albeit with my staples). Now that I had her attention I asked all my questions about the surgery. She pointed out that she always waits a few days because if she tells a patient right after the surgery they are usually too fuzzy to remember everything. She had taken everything out cleanly. There were no problems. What had troubled the radiologist on the sonograms appeared to be the fibroids we expected, some of which were doubled in on themselves... lots of fibroids. My ligaments are very strong and she doesn't expect any problems with prolapse. Everything in the abdomen should stay there without any problems.

I came home on Saturday morning and have been happily recuperating at home ever since. I need to go back later this week to get the staples out and at that time we'll discuss whether I should start estrogen therapy or wait. Right now I have no menopausal symptoms at all. She said I might not have any at my age (okay, I'll admit I'm one of the oldest people on here -- 58, but I was peri-menopausal at the time of surgery; in fact I got my period the morning of the surgery, and I thought I would get some immediate symptoms, but she said maybe I won't get symptoms at all. We'll see.

I had some gas symptoms for several days, but didn't take anything since I wasn't really in any pain. I also cut back on the pain medication fairly quickly. In the hospital I went off Morphine and on Percoset on day 2. That made me queasy, so I was switched to 600 mg. of Motrin as needed. I took it a couple of times a day and made sure I had a dose before going to bed. When I got home I filled the prescriptions I was given for Tylenol with Codeine and for Colase, but I didn't take either one. I used Advil (my usual pain reliever) and went from 600 mg to 400 mg twice a day to handle the pain. I avoided the Codeine primarily because it's constipating. I decided to relax and not worry about constipation for a few days and let my system get back to itself. Some bodies just take a little time to get rid of the anesthesia and get moving again. This morning, when I still hadn't gone, I took a small glass of prune juice, and that worked within 15 minutes (like a charm!).

I had decided before surgery to treat myself to a food delivery system, and that started today. I figured it would make life easier for my husband, I would have a treat, and it would help me lose weight (or at least not gain weight) since it's a healthy gourmet diet. So far good. I have had two delicious meals and one snack and have dinner and snack still to look forward to. I have no idea what food is going to be delivered each day, so the mystery adds to the allure. Who knows what treats await me tomorrow...

As for pain, today it was mostly my back that was sore. I find I can sleep on my side (which helps a lot). My belly is swelly and sore. I have to remember to use other muscles for everything, but so far so good. My incision still has metal staples. It doesn't look that bad... in fact I must say Dr. N. does a neat job. It does, however, ooze from time to time. There's a little discharge from the incision and random (though not much at all) discharge from the stitches in the vagina... that's all normal and to be expected.

I'll give another report after I see the doctor. I just wanted to let people know that reading these posts can be a bit alarming. It would seem more people with problems write in than people without problems. There can be all kinds of complications, and I have a long way to go, but so far, this has definitely been easier than I expected it to be. If you prepare for complications, you'll be ready for anything, but if you're lucky, it won't be as bad as you imagined.

Best of luck to all of you out there and thanks to everyone who has helped me. I've been most fortunate.

Oh yeah, and the baseball season has begun, so I've watched two games so far and have more to watch tonight. If you watched Tony Soprano clicking his morphine pump (which was apparently empty) and taking his strolls with his IV last night and you had just returned from surgery, you were probably laughing along with me!

Best regards from
Yankee Fan

P.S. I forgot to mention that my doctor tipped my teacup over and got tea all over my new gown and robe on Saturday... another sign that I should go home! She also pointed out it was April Fools Day, but said she wasn't fooling; I really could go home.

04-03-2006 - 05:23 PM


Do you have a question?

If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet

What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with pages of information, helpful tips and hints to prepare and recover from hysterectomy. Free download for members.

HysterSisters Articles

Options to Hysterectomy
Treatment Alternatives
Pre-Op Hysterectomy
Post-Op Hysterectomy
Separate Surgeries
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Pelvic Floor
Separate Surgeries
Fitness after Hysterectomy
GYN Cancer
Breast Health
Grief and Loss
Uterine Fibroids
GYN Genetics
Hysterectomy Stories
Ask A Doctor

Find a Surgeon

HysterSisters Doctor Directory
Jack Ayoub, M.D.
44035 Riverside Parkway
Suite 435
Leesburg VA 20176
Jenifer Burkhalter, M.D.
8170 Laguna Blvd #304
Elk Grove CA 95758
Susan D. Hunter, M.D.
626 Ed Carey Dr
Harlingen TX 78550
Lauren Streicher, M.D.
Gynecologic Specialists of Northwestern, S.C
680 N. Lake Shore Dr., Suite 117
Chicago IL 60611
James Kondrup, M.D.
161 Riverside Drive
Suite 109
Binghamton NY 13905
Ken Sinervo, M.D.
1140 Hammond Dr., Ste. F6220
Atlanta GA 30328
Mayra J. Thompson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd Dept OBGYN
Dallas TX 75290
Mark Richey, M.D.
1200 Airport Heights
Ste 205
Anchorage AK 99508
Kym Boyman, M.D.
1775 Williston Rd., Ste. 110
South Burlington VT 05403


Hysterectomy News

November 29,2021


HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive


Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays

Request Information

I am a HysterSister


Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours


Your Hysterectomy Date

CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing