HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
SHARING IS CARING
Hot Flashes | Home Remedies
From the Menopause and Hormones Articles List
What are your best suggestions for dealing with hot flashes without—or in addition to—medication?
If you are struggling with hot flashes
, you are not alone. Your HysterSisters have been there and they now have some help for you.
Based on their experiences, they have created this short list of suggestions. If you don't find something on the list that works for you, don't give up. There are many more options out there. Just keep looking until you discover what works best for you.
HysterSisters' Hot Flash Home Remedies
- My favorite recollection is the time I put on my hot pink flip-flops and stood outside in six inches of snow to cool off.
- I remember sticking my head in the freezer in the early days. Yes, I opened the door, found an empty spot and stuck my head in there. It felt soooo good.
- One of the things that helped me was dressing in layers. This way I could shed some clothing when I got too hot.
- I bought a small battery operated mini fan to keep in my purse. That little fan was a life saver.
- For the night sweats, I slept in a light cotton t-shirt. I had a fan blowing by the bed and kept some ice water nearby. If I woke up and was soaked, I did not hesitate to get up and change underwear and t-shirts. A fresh set of "dry" clothing does help.
- I sleep on damp towels when I am miserable!
- I've wrapped my head in a damp towel.
- I got the Chillow from the HysterSisters Store. It's been a life saver!
- I've taken my cotton t-shirts, added water and worn them to stay cool. This is always at my own house. My boss wouldn't like it in the office!
- I like those cooling scarves you tie around your neck.
- I am keeping a symptom diary because there may be a connection with certain foods. Helps me know what might be better to avoid.
- Hot spicy foods and alcohol are triggers for me. I have to avoid them.
- I keep bottled water with me at all times. If I'm not thirsty, I've been known to pour some water down my shirt if necessary!
The HysterSisters Store has a number of products to help you in stay cool during this part of your menopause journey. Try our Hot Girls Pearl Necklace
This content was written by a member of HysterSisters.com as a non-medical professional based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
03-20-2011 - 12:50 PM
SHARING IS CARING
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Find a Surgeon
|Debra Richardson, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Aileen Caceres, M.D.
Center for Specialized Gynecology/Florida Hospital
410 Celebration Place, Suite 302
Celebration FL 34747
|Joseph S. Valenti, M.D.
2805 S. Mayhill Road
Denton TX 76208
|Antonio Gargiulo, M.D.
Brigham and Women's Hospital
75 Francis Street
Boston MA 02115
|Lauren Streicher, M.D.
Gynecologic Specialists of Northwestern, S.C
680 N. Lake Shore Dr., Suite 117
Chicago IL 60611
|Lauren Pinkard, M.D.
4225 W 95th Street
Oak Lawn IL 60453
|Geoffrey Cly, M.D.
Suite 101, 11123 Parkview Plaza Drive
Fort Wayne IN 46845
|Susan D. Hunter, M.D.
626 Ed Carey Dr
Harlingen TX 78550
|Lori Warren, M.D.
3900 Kresge Way
Louisville KY 40207