HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
SHARING IS CARING
HIPAA and Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
What is HIPAA? How does it affect me?
HIPAA is the acronym for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. This act protects several of your rights as a patient.
Your rights are listed on the "Notice of Privacy Practices" that is usually in the pile of paperwork you get when you check in at a medical facility. It is important to be aware of these rights. The more you know, the more power you have over your own privacy. Do not be afraid to file a complaint with your provider, health insurer, or the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services if you feel any of your rights have been violated.
Here are some of the rights protected by HIPAA:
- The right to a copy of your medical records (in most cases within 30 days)
- The right to request a correction of any wrong, missing, or incomplete information in your record (in most cases within 60 days)
- The right to submit a written statement of disagreement (that will stay with your record) if you disagree with anything in your medical record
- The right to know how your health information is used and shared
- The right to get a report of who has seen your record
- The right to limit who your information is shared with
- The right to choose how you want to be contacted
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
07-23-2013 - 01:56 PM
SHARING IS CARING
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Find a Surgeon
|Arnold Advincula, M.D.
Columbia Ob/Gyn Midtown
51 West 51st St, 3rd FL
New York NY 10019
|Geoffrey Cly, M.D.
Suite 101, 11123 Parkview Plaza Drive
Fort Wayne IN 46845
|Lauren Streicher, M.D.
Gynecologic Specialists of Northwestern, S.C
680 N. Lake Shore Dr., Suite 117
Chicago IL 60611
|Aileen Caceres, M.D.
Center for Specialized Gynecology/Florida Hospital
410 Celebration Place, Suite 302
Celebration FL 34747
|Debra Richardson, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Ted Lee, M.D.
Magee Womens Hospital
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh PA 15213
412 641 6412
|Stephen Zweibach, M.D.
515 S Kings Ave
Brandon FL 33511
|Mayra J. Thompson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd Dept OBGYN
Dallas TX 75290
|Jack Ayoub, M.D.
44035 Riverside Parkway
Leesburg VA 20176