HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
SHARING IS CARING
Choosing a Hysterectomy Surgeon
From the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles List
I need a hysterectomy. How do I now choose a surgeon?
If a hysterectomy is in your future, choosing a surgeon is one of the most important decisions you can make. Not all surgeons have the same skills and experience, so you want to find one who has what you need for your situation. Your choice of surgeon can also have an impact on the type of hysterectomy recommended and thus the length of your recovery.
Finding the right surgeon can be a daunting task, but you've started in the right place. Here at HysterSisters.com, we have several suggestions to help you find a surgeon for your upcoming hysterectomy.
- Visit our Doctor Directory to find doctors in your area. The doctors listed are all specialists in women's health.
- Visit SuggestADoctor.com. This site is a private project of HysterSisters, Inc. that allows patients to post recommendations for their doctors. Check to see if any doctors are listed in your area.
- Ask your female family members, friends, neighbors, and co-workers who have had a hysterectomy. Ask them about their experiences with their surgeon: Did the surgery go well? Was the surgeon available for questions both pre- and post-surgery? Did the surgeon provide adequate preparation and follow up information? If you like what you hear, don't forget to ask for contact information.
- Ask your current doctors for recommendations. Ask not only who they would refer you to on a professional level, but also who they would refer female family members to see. If you have female doctors, ask who their doctors are.
- Contact the closest teaching hospital and ask for a referral. These facilities may employee highly-skilled and knowledgeable surgeons.
- Ask your insurance company. They can provide you with a list of names covered by your plan. They may also be able to provide a list of physicians who are out-of-network if you wish.
Once you have a list of names, do a web search to see what type of information you can find. Are reviews positive? Have they published articles? Have they been mentioned in any articles you can read? What do their websites have to say? Are they affiliated with reputable medical facilities?
Ideally, you will want to find a surgeon with solid credentials and an excellent bedside manner who has affiliations with top local medical centers. HysterSisters.com also recommends you look for a gynecological surgeon who specializes in minimally invasive surgery. These surgeons specialize in gynecological surgery so they can be expert surgeons.
The next step is to visit the offices of the prospective choices. While you're there, pay attention to everything around you. Are the waiting room and exam rooms clean and up-to-date? Is the staff friendly? Do you feel safe and cared for?
During your appointment, you will want to assess each surgeon. Are you comfortable with the doctor? Are you satisfied with the answers and assessment s/he made? What was his/her complication rate? How often does s/he need to convert surgery types during surgery? Does the doctor listen to your concerns and address your questions satisfactorily?
When it comes to major surgery, you want a surgeon with whom you are comfortable. You want your surgeon to be knowledgeable, skilled, and caring so that you will receive the best care both in and out of the operating room. The person holding the tools for your surgery will have a huge impact on how successful the outcome is, so choose well!
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
08-07-2013 - 10:26 PM
SHARING IS CARING
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Find a Surgeon
|Ken Sinervo, M.D.
1140 Hammond Dr., Ste. F6220
Atlanta GA 30328
|Tiffany Jackson, M.D.
7217 Telecom Parkway #290
Garland TX 75044
|Arnold Advincula, M.D.
Columbia Ob/Gyn Midtown
51 West 51st St, 3rd FL
New York NY 10019
|Mayra J. Thompson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd Dept OBGYN
Dallas TX 75290
|Jack Ayoub, M.D.
44035 Riverside Parkway
Leesburg VA 20176
|Ellen Wilson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd - Dept of OBGYN
Dallas TX 75390
|Charles Miller, M.D.
120 Osler Drive
Naperville IL 60540
|Debra Richardson, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424