HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
SHARING IS CARING
Do This - Not That: Weight Loss Tips
From the Fitness & Wellness After Hysterectomy Articles List
What are some do’s and don’ts I should follow when trying to lose weight after my hysterectomy and during menopause?
Losing weight after a hysterectomy
and during menopause
can require a commitment on your part. Though it can take some time and effort, it’s possible to lose weight and make positive changes for your health.
Knowing some basic tips for weight loss can make the process easier. But before making any changes, you should talk to your doctor about an exercise and diet plan that is best for you. When you are ready, here are some simple do’s and don’ts that you can follow to help you lose weight less stressfully.
- Drink plenty of water, every day.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Set realistic goals.
- Add steps to your day.
- Plan your meals in advance.
- Choose items off the lighter fare menu at restaurants.
- Savoring every bite can help you eat less but be satisfied.
- Write down everything you eat.
- Use a smaller plate to help you with portion control.
- Count calories, fat grams, and carbs so you can make better choices.
- Make fruits and veggies the bigger portion of your meals.
- If you are hungry, choose fruits and veggies for a snack.
- Skip sauces, toppings, and dressings to reduce your calories.
- Work exercise into your day, even if it’s not a traditional workout.
- Be aware that calories in drinks can add up very quickly–choose wisely.
- Trim calories in your favorite foods by choosing low-fat and reduced calorie ingredients.
- Use oil sparingly.
- Build muscle so can burn more calories.
- Get a partner to exercise with.
- Don’t follow fad diets.
- Don’t graze–you’ll end up eating far more calories than you realize.
- Don’t skip meals–you’ll be more apt to overeat.
- Don’t cut your calories too drastically as it can backfire.
- Don’t shop while hungry–you’re more apt to buy unhealthy, high-fat foods.
- Don’t eat full entrees at restaurants–take ˝ to go or order a child’s plate.
- Don’t put dressing on your salad–put it on the side and dip your lettuce sparingly.
- Don’t make too many changes all at once–it will be too hard to stick to them.
- Don’t eat too quickly or you may eat more than you need to be full.
- Don’t eat from the box, bag, or container–always serve a portion onto a plate.
- Don’t focus on what you can’t eat–focus on what you can eat.
- Don’t focus on eliminating foods–add better food choices so you fill up on healthy stuff.
- Don’t fry foods–bake them.
- Don’t keep tempting foods at home or the office–save them for special occasions only.
- Don’t give up if you slip up–start again and move forward.
- Don’t forget to reward yourself as you reach your goals.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other hysterectomy patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
12-14-2015 - 01:28 PM
SHARING IS CARING
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Find a Surgeon
|Ken Sinervo, M.D.
1140 Hammond Dr., Ste. F6220
Atlanta GA 30328
|Ted Lee, M.D.
Magee Womens Hospital
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh PA 15213
412 641 6412
|Lauren Streicher, M.D.
Gynecologic Specialists of Northwestern, S.C
680 N. Lake Shore Dr., Suite 117
Chicago IL 60611
|Mark Richey, M.D.
1200 Airport Heights
Anchorage AK 99508
|Siobhan Kehoe, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Lori Warren, M.D.
3900 Kresge Way
Louisville KY 40207
|Aileen Caceres, M.D.
Center for Specialized Gynecology/Florida Hospital
410 Celebration Place, Suite 302
Celebration FL 34747
|heath miller, M.D.
4245 Roosevelt Way NE
seattle WA 98105
206-598-5500 ext 8
|Geoffrey Cly, M.D.
Suite 101, 11123 Parkview Plaza Drive
Fort Wayne IN 46845