HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
SHARING IS CARING
Do This - Not That: Quit Smoking!
From the Fitness & Wellness After Hysterectomy Articles List
You’ve reached menopause
and now you're experiencing a lot of changes. As you work to manage menopause and the symptoms it's been causing, you’ve decide to start following a more healthy lifestyle
. That includes quitting smoking
once and for all.
But it’s tough. You’ve tried quitting before and it didn’t work. You need some tips to help you be more successful this time.
Here are some do’s and don’ts that might help you this time around – especially if you get some support.
- Get help from your doctor.
- Seek counseling.
- Join a support group.
- Check out the HysterSisters Smoke Out! forum.
- Talk to your doctor about cessation programs.
- Ask about Wellbutrin.
- Ask about Chantix.
- Try nicotine replacement therapy (NRT).
- Switch to e-cigarettes.
- Learn your smoking triggers so you can avoid and counteract them.
- Distract yourself to keep from smoking.
- Replace smoking with chewing gum, sucking on candy, snacking on veggies, etc.
- Stay busy so you won’t smoke.
- Create a healthy lifestyle with a healthy diet and routine exercise program.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
- Don’t try to do it alone.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- Don’t forget you can get creative.
- Don’t spend time around smoking.
- Don’t keep smoking paraphernalia around.
- Don’t forget to set realistic goals.
- Don’t forget to take it one day at a time.
- Don’t forget to do things to keep you happy.
- Don’t give up!
01-23-2017 - 10:11 PM
SHARING IS CARING
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Find a Surgeon
|Lori Warren, M.D.
3900 Kresge Way
Louisville KY 40207
|heath miller, M.D.
4245 Roosevelt Way NE
seattle WA 98105
206-598-5500 ext 8
|Shaghayegh DeNoble, M.D.
20 Wilsey Square
Ridgewood NJ 07450
|James Kondrup, M.D.
161 Riverside Drive
Binghamton NY 13905
|Geoffrey Cly, M.D.
Suite 101, 11123 Parkview Plaza Drive
Fort Wayne IN 46845
|Ted Lee, M.D.
Magee Womens Hospital
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh PA 15213
412 641 6412
|Mark Richey, M.D.
1200 Airport Heights
Anchorage AK 99508
|Debra Richardson, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Antonio Gargiulo, M.D.
Brigham and Women's Hospital
75 Francis Street
Boston MA 02115