Hysterectomy HysterSisters - View Single Post - Hysterectomy w/cervic removal and uringary frequency or incontinence
View Single Post
Unread 03-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Hysterectomy w/cervic removal and uringary frequency or incontinence

dear crohnietoo,

I had suffered from stress incontinence for many years and in the years before my surgery, my urinary symptoms got worse, to the point where I think I also had urge incontinence. I had to wear a pad every day and would leak even when walking. Sometimes when exercising, I had terrible pressure feelings and had to stop.

I had numerous fibroids and my problems improved significantly after my TAH/BSO. I still need to wear a tampon and small pad when doing vigorous exercise (soccer; running). Kegels have also helped me and I do them fanatically, even while exercising. The next step for me would likely be biofeedback sessions. I think I'm likely facing more drastic measures at some point down the road, but I can definitively say that the surgery improved my quality of life in that area quite a bit.

You seem very well informed about your options, and I have a question for you: have your docs offered any explanation or suggestions regarding your urinary symptoms? Was there any discussions of bladder support surgery too? Have you seen a urologist? If not, it sounds as if you should consider seeing one or a uro-gyn and having this specific problem evaluated.

I feel for what you're going through, since this is an embarrassing and life-inhibiting problem....

I guess, basically, since you seem to have some reservations about the TAH/BSO and your docs are comfortable with watching and waiting, that might be the way to go, unless/until your symptoms become unbearable.

best wishes...