Emergency room or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Endometriosis Support

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Emergency room or not? Emergency room or not?

Unread 05-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Emergency room or not?

A week ago I started my Lupron shots and have been having a lot of pain since. My doctor does not really believe in pain medication but told me that ibuprofen would help--which is pretty much stupid since I'm so allergic to aspirin/ibuprofen that I can't touch the medicine or I'll break out in hives. I told her this and she said well try Tylenol. I had my diagnostic surgery on the 27 of April and so I still had some Tylenol 3's left and have taken those to try to help with the pain and it hasn't even taken the edge off. All I can do is lay in bed and cry because it is so horrible. I have had many previous trips to the ER and I don't really want to go because of how I am treated, but I need relief. I am exhausted and so tired of being treated like I don't actually have something going on. I tried to explain to my mother what is going on and she just keeps telling me that it will get better; no one seems to understand. Has anyone actually gone to the emergency room and had issues with treatment? How do you explain to them what is going on to get better treatment? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Re: Emergency room or not?

Lupron initially causes a surge in hormones which could cause in initial increase in pain.

If you need treatment for pain, it is best to speak to one of your own doctors. You could call your GYN and explain that the Tylenol #3s from surgery are not alleviating your pain and you are considering ER unless she has other options you can consider.

Never lie about pain medications as once that gets flagged on a file, you can have a very difficult time getting treatment. So make sure you are clear that you have taken Tylenol #3's, not over the counter Tylenol.

If you need to go to ER, have someone go with you. State exactly how the pain feels, where it is at, and what you have tried. Explain it may be the endometriosis, but your pain is worse and you have recently started Lupron. List every symptom you are having as precisely as you can.

Try to be calm so staff will listen to you and not term you as hysterical and drug seeking. State the medications your doctor recommended and why they have not worked. If when you call your doctor she states go to ER for meds, share that as well. Or if she can't be reached, state you tried to call your doctor but can't get in touch with her.

I know it can be tough to be in pain and need relief. You might get an IV in ER that will break your pain cycle and then allow you to manage the pain at home with OTC meds. But if not, get in to see your GYN and/or GP as soon as possible.

in there!
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:36 AM

I just wanted to say that I have also been in some sporadic pain, comes and goes... I finally had to go to the ER... All the staff know my history with lung collapses(CRT) caused from endo on my diaphragm.. the regular tests blood work up, x-ray ect.. finally had to do cat-scan... which showed alittle bleeding internally... Most likely caused from endo/scar tissue... So if you are hurting you should be able to go in and get some help to try and find a cause of the pain....I followed up with my gyno who gave me some pain meds to get me through those times when otc meds dont cut it...3 months worth...I thought how I really appreciate this gyno understanding how painful this can be... my only other option is another surgery which we both agree should only happen when all else gives me some relief.... Im sorry you are going through this and hope someone with compassion and understanding of the disease will be able to help you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2012, 12:32 PM

I definitely appreciate all of the comments. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks after my Lupron shot. I got ahold of someone at my OB/GYN's office and they had her call me out some Vicodin which cut the sharpness out of the pain for a while. I did end up going to the emergency room last wednesday though because it was so severe I was crying. The doctor seemed to think that it was not severe though but still treated me with a shot of dilaudid and some zofran. I was sent home immediately. It's difficult for me to go to emergency rooms now because I went so frequently before I had my diagnosis so I know that they think I'm "faking" the pain, especially since my sister is a nurse at one of the hospitals I went to.

I have my next shot in two weeks and I'm hoping that I may be able to quickly chat with my doctor or leave a note for her about the discomfort I'm having. I may even look for a different doctor because of how alone I'm feeling in this battle. My mother had a bout with endo and she doesn't even seem to understand what I'm going through. I appreciate all of you and your understanding through this unusually rough time for me. I'm still continuing through college courses online as well as working part time so I'm hoping to live a normal life like many women before me.
Unread 06-04-2012, 02:20 PM

I'm also allergic to aspirin and ibuprofen (also get hives). When I was in massive pain (fibroids and Aygestin), I was honestly too scared to go to the ER or urgent care in case they thought I was looking for drugs. I figured they'd just send me home with Tylenol and a $900 bill. It's pretty sad that some of us feel that way.

I do find a warm pad helps a little. Not much, but a little.

If your doctor isn't sympathetic, I think it's a good idea to look for a new one.
Unread 06-04-2012, 04:01 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences w/ docs. It seems like some still think it's all in our heads. I'm 10 weeks post-op & started Lupron 3 weeks ago & am having the worst ovary pain I've ever had. Doc thinks I pulled something during intimacy. Anyway you're not alone cuz this pain sucks. Take good care!
~F

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register