Jane's Story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN > Cancer: Stories of Courage

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread
Unread 11-02-2002, 10:08 AM
Smile - Jane's Story Jane's Story

I don't really know where to begin. But, here it goes.

I had very painful periods for the past year and a half. I hated to go to doc for the fear of finding something bad. Well, finally I had enough, went to see GYN on 7/30/02. He had done physical, pap & scheduled ultrasound for following month. The pap had came back normal. But, had ultrasound on 8/22/02, and it showed enlarged ovaries, pelvic mass of unknown orgin, amoung other thing. GYN decided to do CA-125, he told me what that was for and I was scared until it came back. I was even more scared when it did come back elevated (235 with normal being 0-35). He set me up an appointment with a GYN/ONC.

Went to appointment with GYN/ONC on 9/9/02. Was doing okay until a patient came in with very thin hair. Then I got real nervous. All sort of things went through my head; will I lose my hair, will I live to see my son grow up, how sick will I get, and so on. She did a physical, pap and everything. We then went into her office to talk and discuss options. She said that she could do the surgery on 9/12/02 or the following tuesday. Thinking that I had Ovarian Cancer I agreed to have it that thursday 9/12/02. Kinda glad I didn't have time to think it over.

My surgery went smooth, except for the move from the streacher to the bed. (OOOOOUCH ). Castle stay was good, though some of the nurses weren't as nice as others. But all in all castle stay was okay. While in hospital found out that I didn't have Ovarian cancer. Thank God. First night home was a bear. Tried to eat but, everything came back up. Called doc in middle of night, for some relief and got it. suppositories. (YUCK). The next morning after I got home my GYN/ONC called and told me that while I didn't have Ovarian cancer I did have Cervical cancer. I was floored. I thought I had eeked out on the cancer deal.

I was luckly to have my mom to come down for the first couple of weeks after my surgery. I was glad that she was with me when I had gotten the news. I was kinda depressed about it and had those same thoughts go through my head. Am I going to survive, will I see my son grow up and so on. Well, my doc said that since we discovered the cancer after the surgery that I will have to under go chemo and radiation, and that should be it. I had a CT scan done a few weeks after surgery and it showed that the nodes were clear. Again a big Thank you GOD .

I am also an advocate for women to have their yearly exams, expecially paps. Although my pap of 7/30/02 came back normal the one that my GYN/ONC did on 9/9/02 came back abnormal. But the results didnt come back until after my surgery.

I got my portacath put in 10/30/02 for the chemo and started Chemo 11/11/02, and radiation shortly after. I now am ready to go thru this.

In June 2003 I had a recurrence of my cancer. Had surgery to remove it August 2003, during surgery they nicked my bladder. I don't know if the nicked bladder or the surgery caused it but either way I formed a fistula (V V F). At that point my bladder started falling apart (due to the radiation). Doctor informed me that I would need a new bladder formed from my large and small intestines. I was scared but it was better than having to deal with a bladder that continued to rot away. So on October 31, 2003 I got a new bladder. I will have to cath myself every few hours for the rest of my life but, in the end I believe it was for the best.

I have my Lord and savior by my side. Along with all my friends here at Hystersisters.

I am so glad that I had found this site, otherwise I would be curled up in a ball crying. Thinking that the world is ending. A big thank you goes out to the founder of Hystersister and all of my friends that I have made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register