Dying for a soak in the tub... - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dying for a soak in the tub... Dying for a soak in the tub...

Unread 02-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Dying for a soak in the tub...

Hi,
I had to sign a paper saying I would not take a bath, go swimming or go in a hot tub for 6 weeks. I am 3 weeks post op and I want to take a bath too. I am a bath taker usually. I don't know why some women are told 2 weeks and I was told 6 but I was cut up my stomach and have about an 8" incision running up my stomach to the left of my belly button. This might help too, when I had my cold cone surgery i was told no bath, swim, hot tub for 2 weeks and that was just for the cold cone. I too am doing recovery by the book for the most part I have read some horror stories from women who did things they were not suppose to do and had some major infections and or complications. All doctors are different so call him. We all heal different and have had different types of surgery. I too still feel not that great, some days are better then others but I sure don't want to feel worse so no bath for me for about 3 more weeks only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2008, 06:22 PM

My bath is my way to relax and unwind! And I've thought several times how good a hot bath would be but I will just have to be happy with a hot shower until my Dr. says it's okay. Forgive me for sounding stupid but does the No bath rule apply to all hysterectomies?? TAH? TVH? due to risk of infection or risk of hurting yourself by falling or something like that?? My Dr. never said and I never asked and now I'm wondering
Unread 02-01-2008, 06:40 PM

HI, I am not sure I had a TAH/BSO and was told no for at least 6 weeks and believe me I really want to take a nice hot bath I have read that some women have trouble getting out of the tub because of the lose of muscle control but I have not tried. I had to sign a paper and initial all these warnings that might be because I had the TAH/ Hope I helped a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2008, 11:56 PM

I have to admit, I took a bath like the end of the first week (Yikes) I know, I know but I think I told you all before, I am such a bath *****. I NEED to unwind at night (My anxiety level is just crazy) and since my surgery..I was told they left the ovaries but I swear one MUST have fallen out because I am plain evil. Very moody, my skin is horribly dry, I have even sprouted a patch of gray hair. I am only 34!!!! Luckily I have not had any infection other than a yeast due to UTI's (Hmmm, can a bath cause a UTI?) But I started that before I even got into the tub. It's kinda of not ending (I just re-read my post and thought DUHHH!!!! Maybe that is why?)
I need my hot bath though. For my sanity and my DH's! I told him that I have been so stressed out and I need to simplify my life so the first thing that is going is being nice to him because it is taking too much time and effort!! LOL. I feel bad, I have been so moody with him. See? I need my bath!
Unread 02-02-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downyocean
Brinks, you are the lucky dusky. My son's girlfriend bought me a beautiful gift basket of bath products and they keep calling my name. It is at least 3 more weeks and maybe more before I will know when I can use them.

Kay

That was Lucky DUCKY when the thought left my head. It obviously did not make it to my fat fingers. I hate typos and I don't know how to use "spell check" on these forums.

I think the healing of the vaginal cuff might be what is keeping us out of the tub. Of course, that is just my opinion and I was a geometry teacher and not a gyn.

Kay
Unread 02-02-2008, 11:11 AM

I guess things here in the Uk are different, us ladies what had TAH over here were allowed to have a bath 4 days later, we just had to cover over our incision area with a padding, since being home i have had mainly showers because i felt more safer, but i did have a bath yesterday with the help of my hubby and felt more relaxed, but as some one said on an earlier post it is always better to check with your doctor.
Unread 02-02-2008, 09:16 PM

I want to call this post...PANIC IN THE BATHTUB!

I was cleared at 2 weeks for a bath. I took a VERY shallow bath (enough to shave) the first day but no baths since. Here I am now 3 weeks post-op and felt I deserved long, hot bath.

I cleaned out the tub, ran the water, grabbed a magazine, razor and shaving cream. When I first got in, it felt wonderful. I shaved my legs and laid back to relax...Then it hit me, sheer PANIC!

I had to get out and quick. My thoughts consumed me...How clean is this tub really? All it would take is one pesky germ and I will be sorry I did this? Did I just feel some water go in? What if I get an infection? I feel so good right now, I do not want to go backwards...What if I ruined my husband and my reunion/anniversary/valentines weekend?

I shot out of that tub quicker than I have moved to do ANYTHING post-op. I am frightened now. I guess I am just not ready for the tub yet. Sure hope I do not do this on the 16th during the 'reunion'.
Unread 02-07-2008, 11:23 AM

My doctor told me on Tuesday 2/5 NO BATH YET!! UGHHH.. However, she said I could have a Sits bath ( warm water with Epsom salts-sometimes they give you this after child birth) If I felt sore or itchy to relieve them.. I can't wait 4 weeks cannot get here soon enough.
Unread 02-07-2008, 11:33 AM

I was told no deep baths I don't understand so I just have avoided the tub! But after reading this post I now want a bath so bad! Just to soak and releive the back I think it is taking on the work of the tummy so it is sore and I sit to much I think.
Unread 02-07-2008, 11:41 AM

HI ladies I had to call the doctor to see about a prescription for bone loss that he had talked about prior to surgery and I do not see him again until April and while on the phone I asked about baths and he said not until I am 6 weeks and only if there is no spotting or discharge of any type. The doctor said that healing on the inside takes a lot longer and if it is healing slower and I allow constant water in there then I have an 80% chance of getting an infection :wowee: so anyway I just wanted to share my news with all of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register