Hysterectomy dates Jul 23-Jul 30,2007 - Page 10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 23-Jul 30,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 23-Jul 30,2007

Unread 08-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 23-Jul 30,2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floralina57
I'm still searching for constipation remedies and eating as much fiber as I can hold, but, that's the main thing to beat now.
I feel for ya. Had my TAH on Jul 24th as well, and been having the same problem. I've stuffed myself with fiber, fruit, water, prune juice, and stool softeners. Nothing really seemed to help until I went off the heavy pain meds 2 days ago. Went to Motrin and Tylenol only, and can I tell ya, the flood gates opened! I did have to take a Percoset yesterday (over did it a little) and constipated again today.

So I guess it's the lesser of two evils ... pain relief and contipation, or more incision discomfort but constipation relief. Jury's still out. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2007, 04:02 PM
oophorectomy on July 27th

I underwent my 2 oophorectomy on July 27th when they removed the left ovarie, the right one was removed 2 years ago and my uterus was removed 4 years ago. I am now on RHT at the age of 28. I am doing well, some days are better than others but i am getting throught it. I just have one question, How long do i have to wait till i can have sex again and also how long am i off work ( Housekeeping) . When i went for my operation it was only a possible oophorectomy so the doctor did not inform me of how long i was going to be off.

Hope everyone is feeling better
Unread 08-05-2007, 04:22 PM
To Floralina57

Hi to you,

Make sure your family realise that you have had major, major surgery and you need pampering big time for at least 4-6 weeks. Remind them that you will most likely have internal stitches as well and they take a lot longer to heal than external ones. Also remind them that there are so many movements that use stomach muscles and you need to just go easy or else you'll need more time to recover!!

I had my op on 23rd July and I'm officially two weeks post-op today, but I'm still taking it really easy and I know my body is thankful. There've been a couple of days when I've probably done a bit more than I should and my body has certainly let me know.

I agree with the people who've blamed strong pain meds on constipation. All the nurses I've spoken to agree that most of the strong ones are a double edged sword - great for your pain, but bind you up something awful inside.

I'm really regular now through eating lots of fibre, prunes, other fruits and wholemeal bread and grains, plus I take a daily stool softening supplement. I still get quite bad pain just before and during a BM but then it goes away and the relief is enormous. I'm hoping the pain is just my body still settling down after the surgery.

Good luck,

Cheers, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2007, 04:58 PM

Thanks, I just had a breakthrough this morning, as my scar just felt like it was finally seizing up and being a normal scar.
I did have to put a bandage on one bit of it that was water proof where the doctor had put a butterfly bandage on it.
That enabled me to take a real shower.

Ok, I think I must have eaten about ten of the fruit and vegetable groups and that cereal called Good Friends that even my sister the High fiber person is in awe of. Going much better...

I was on some pretty strong stuff in the hospital, but quickly tapered down to Tylenol.

Walked about a mile a day thus far.

Oh I hope you'll be happy for me as I would for you, I got into jeans that I'd given up on two years back!
I think my hormones must have been raging during this thing...because I lost a lot on the abdomen and even on my face.
Honestly walking in jeans was a big thrill...and I just wore those 2xl tummy tucker panties from Target to protect myself.

Tomorrow is my apt after two weeks and I'm looking forward to it and also deciding about the HRT. I'm forty nine, and probably will take it.
Unread 08-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Hospital visit last night

I ended up going to the emergency room last night. Not surgery related, I'm healing wonderfully and if it wasn't for the swollen tummy, I wouldn't know I had surgery recently.

This was chest pain, heart racing rapidly and very lethargic. Doc took blood-ran 5 tests and one level came back elevated for a possible blood clot. They did a chest x-ray, no heart attack detected, CAT scan and didn't see any blood clotting. They marked it up to severe heartburn and then I had an anxiety attack. Still not sure on the rapid racing of the heart, my beats were 130 when I went into the hospital, 110 15 mins later and then in the high 80's for the next couple hours. It bounced up over 90 a few times but settled into the 80's pretty quickly. Finally in the 70's by the last couple hours there.

Talk about scary! I thought for sure I was having a heart attack. Very glad to know the ticker is OK. Just wish my energy would come back I had a couple days back.

Does anyone know how long the swelling lasts from a TVH (ovaries left)? My pants/shorts are still very uncomfortable.
Unread 08-05-2007, 06:57 PM

That is scary! I guess my heartburn was another thing that went away immediately after surgery because the mass they took out was compressing everything.

You know, perhaps the whole experience affected you more than you thought...sometimes there's an aftershock. Plus, I guess we do get hot flashes, as I've had one...gee!

I am not sure I"m typical of this surgery because of the fact that I'd swollen up quite a bit with the problem over the past few months, so my clothes fit and hang loose at the moment!

Good thing you're feeling ok though.
Unread 08-05-2007, 07:35 PM
laughing...hard

hey ya'll.....just had to share this with everyone. ever since i had my first child, who i think is 27....no, 28 (why can't i remember how old that boy is??), i have had to sit down or twist my legs together if i laughed or coughed to keep from peeing my pants. last nite i had a HUGE laugh at my hubbys expense. i was standing up and DID NOT pee my pants....man, i love my newly slung bladder!! have great nite ladies!! debbie

LAVH, bladder sling, 7/25/07
Unread 08-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Almost two weeks and still headaches!!

First time posting-----Post op-July 25. I had TVH-BSO. I had hardly any pain except bad headaches, dizziness and nausa. I had migraines which is why they removed the ovaries. So this last Friday I felt the best so far--no headache!! We took a 2 1/2 hour car trip to visit a cousin and pick up my brother-in-law at the airport. Felt fine all day--started bleeding again the next day. I really had almost no bleeding prior to this. So now I am bleeding slightly with more headaches and tired again. Do I need to call my OB Dr? Or is this just normal? I have started taking Estradiol 7 days after. I guess it helps a little with hot flashes, other than that I don't notice any other benefits.

Loving this website! Found it a couple days before I went for surgery.

Look forward to all of your words of wisdom, fellow Princesses!!
Tate6
Unread 08-05-2007, 09:35 PM

Any of you had post-op appts yet? Tomorrow I have my 2-week appt and am wondering if I should expect an internal exam? I know it varies by Dr. Any of you been there yet?
Unread 08-05-2007, 09:47 PM

I agree that the pain meds are the culprit for constipation. I, too, have pain before and during BM. I also am almost 2 wks Post op. And it is hard when you feel good and then overdo it. If I could just get rid of these headaches!! That was one of the hopeful benefits I was looking forward to! They are worse now! I have only had one day without one!! May have to ask Dr. if I should start my Topamax again for migraines...That would be awful!!
Tate6

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register