new, exploring and looking for input | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new, exploring and looking for input new, exploring and looking for input

Unread 06-22-2003, 07:51 PM
new, exploring and looking for input

Howdy Everyone,

I really could use some input...Both my Gyn and my Primary Care Doc recommend that i have a complete hysterectomy (including ovaries).. I am 34 and have dealt with irregular cycles followed by heavy, heavy bleeding, PCOS, fibroids, scarring, increasing uterine wall thickness, etc.... it's all annoying and i'm aware it can lead to other problems in the future... however, i'm very, very nervous about this procedure.. i don't want to have something done that will, perhaps, create as many new problems/challenges as it is supposed to solve.... any advice?

thanks
Mrs. Magoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2003, 08:01 PM

It certainly can be confusing at times!

The question you need to ask yourself is how much pain/symptoms are you having? Is it something you can live with, or is it interfering with your life? Do you have any family predisposition to any cancers? Also, are you done having children?

I am almost 6 weeks post op and am glad I went through with it. You will find that the vast majority of people are glad that they had the surgery.

You might look into such things as a myomectomy for the fibroids, to see if that might help.

Good luck!
Unread 06-23-2003, 12:37 AM

the pain, symptoms are annoying and sure, it would be nice to be rid of them.. yes, i am past childbearing - i actually was never able to have children so we adopted... i had exploratory surgery done a few years ago that confirmed what the doctors thought and they've just been watching it every since... they've told me that there's really nothing that will totally help the myriad of problems except whipping it all out.... i do have high cancer risks in my family and that's one of the big concerns of the doctors... i just know it's such a huge thing - especially with taking out both ovaries... i just wish i could find some people who've had both ovaries out as well and have felt markedly better after the recovery and adjustment period passed..... mrs. magoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2003, 07:19 PM
new, exploring, ...

I did had my ovaries out. I'm 47.

I think my recovery has been going great! I had my 6 week checkup today and the dr said everything looked like it should.

As far as HRT, I am on the Climara patch, lowest dosage, .5mg, and so far it is working great.

I no longer have the pelvic pressure, I can finally empty my bladder. It is safe to say that the surgery was a success!
Unread 06-24-2003, 01:22 AM
you can empty your bladder now?

Wow!! i struggle continuosly with my bladder.. feels like there's always something in it.. sometimes i feel like i'm going through gymnastics just to get it emptied... perhaps that's more information than you needed to know..lol... did the surgeon do anything for your bladder specifically during the surgery? thanks again for your reply.. just so nice to be able to ask questions

Mrs. Magoo
Unread 06-24-2003, 10:43 AM

Hi Mrs. Magoo,

I'm glad you found us here at Hystersisters! Many of us here can relate to your concerns about creating new problems with a hyst and ovary removal. You are smart to be asking questions and seeking information.

Here is a link to the top of this forum where we have links to websites with information specific to things like fibroids, PCOS and other reproductive problems. I encourage you to check out some of these other sites for more information on treatment options for these conditions.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann...p?s=&forumid=4

I'm glad to hear that you have consulted both your gyn and GP and that they concur on their recommendations. You might consider getting another opinion from a second gyn, just to get one more perspective.

In the end, only you can make this decision. 85% of hysterectomies are done for quality of life reasons rather than things like cancer. But only you can determine when your quality of life is compromised to the point that you need this surgery. It's not an easy decision, I know. Some ladies do have complications and some struggle with HRT issues post op. But many ladies find they get their lives back and they feel healthier than they have in years.

Keep reading and posting and we'll do our best to provide support, whatever you decide. Sending hugs your way.

Beth
Unread 06-24-2003, 01:34 PM
new, exploring, etc

Yes, the surgery took care of the bladder issues, and they didn't have to do anything special with the bladder.

They found that the fibroids were pressing on the bladder, so much that I never could empty it and would get stopped up all the time, it even backed up into the kidneys.

Since the surgery I can now empty my bladder completely and it feels wonderful! So, that might be what is happening to you.

Caryn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register