Pre-Op Testing Today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Testing Today Pre-Op Testing Today

Unread 03-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Pre-Op Testing Today

I went for my pre-op testing today. It was really easy and fast. They took 3 vials of blood, a urine sample, and a bleed test (where they cut you w/a razor blade and see how long it takes you to clot). All went well. I go for a physical Monday with my primary dr.
Woohoo!!! The count down is on! 10 days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Pre-Op Testing Today

Ouch for the razor blade! Is the physical from your PCP required? I had some clotting studies done earlier this year because I had noticed that I bruised easily and didn't stop bleeding quickly. It must have come back ok, I never heard from them! Good luck with the countdown and with everything!
Unread 03-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Pre-Op Testing Today

That is so strange how so many different Docs do things differently. I had a blood test, and EKG and a chest x-ray. I thought for sure they would do a urine test to make sure I didn't have a bladder infection. Another surgery I had revealed I had a UTI from the pre op test. I knew I didn't feel good but didn't know why! I wonder why they didn't cut me to see my clot thing? It's all so strange how every Dr. is different. Yet everyone seems to do okay!

Good luck, 7 days for me, we can do this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Pre-Op Testing Today

I have had none of these things done!! I am scheduled on Thursday April 5. I go in for my annual on Monday April 2 and then to the hospital to sign paperwork. She has said nothing about going to my primary physician for anything!! Is this one more thing to worry about?????
Unread 03-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Pre-Op Testing Today

I don't think it is anything to worry about. I think my gyn is just extra cautious by sending me to my primary dr. for a physical- you know just another unbiased opinion on if I'm healthy enough for surgery.

I am not looking forward to the bowel prep though. I have done one before but it was different. Every doctor is different. I just can't wait to get this done and get on the road to good health! (That is what I keep telling myself when I start to feel anxious and scared.)

I am praying for successful operations for my sisters- we CAN do this.
Unread 03-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Pre-Op Testing Today

I don't understand it. I went for my pre op even though the dr. still doesn't know if the surgery will be April 17th or the 19th. All she did was listen to my heart and take my pulse. That's all. She did send me to the lab and they took 4 vials of blood. I had to have a bleed test to see if I was a bleeder before they could do the surgery. But no real physical, no urine sample. I don't get it? What's going on? I hope they know what they are doing. Even my primary dr. never suggested a physical or anything like that. I didn't even have an EKG. Oh, no bowel prep either and I asked her twice.
Unread 03-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Pre-Op Testing Today

Cincy6,
I was supposed to have my hyst on April 6th also. Then the dr. called me and said that she couldn't do it that day. So it got pushed to April 20th. Then it got pushed back to April 19th. Now it's either April 17th or the 19th. By the time they set a date I'll go through menopause naturally. I'm 44 and have large fibroids and I bleed quite a lot. But it's like musical chairs for them to pin down an actual date.

By the way, when I had my pre op, my dr. didn't do much. She listened to my heart and took my pulse. That was it. Oh, and they took 4 vials of blood and also a bleed test. No urine sample. No EKG. I don't get it? When my aunt had her hyst years ago, she had a thorough physical before the surgery. Now they just check to see if you are breathing or have a pulse.
Unread 03-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Pre-Op Testing Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Quilt
But no real physical, no urine sample. I don't get it?
They'll take your urine when you check in and go back to get your gown on and all. I had no bowel prep orders with my scheduled date (canceled) and many do not.
Unread 03-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Pre-Op Testing Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Quilt
By the time they set a date I'll go through menopause naturally.
I love your sense of humor. Hang in there.

Just FYI, I scheduled a physical with my family doc just to get an all-clear from her, too. It made me feel better. Why not try to fit that in?
Unread 03-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Pre-Op Testing Today

IMHO I think it has to do with your physical age and any other health issues you might have. I will be 50 in Oct. and had to have an EKG, blood work and a chest x-ray for general anesthesia for my colonoscopy yesterday.

BTW they almost cancelled the procedure since I was running a temp. (I've got a cold.) The thought of having all that bowel prep for nothing !!! I had a sympathetic pre-op nurse who started me on an IV and got the temp down to a low-grade and we proceeded.

I would stay away from anyone who has been ill and avoid crowded places for a week prior and be sure to wash your hands and use sanitizing wipes when you do go out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register