New Here - Question on LSH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Here - Question on LSH New Here - Question on LSH

Unread 07-15-2004, 02:36 PM
New Here - Question on LSH

Hello All - I'm so thrilled to have found this board. What did we do before the Internet? Certainly weren't as knowledgeable!

I'm having a LSH sometime in September and was just wondering about any scarring. My GYN tells me there will be 3 incisions and that after a month you won't even be able to see them. Is this so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2004, 02:47 PM

Simba,

I had a LSH also and for me it was a wonderful surgery!! I cannot say enough about it. I am glad I was a candidate.

I had (3) incisions also. Some LSH Hyster Sisters have four.

I had two small hip incisions - approx. 1/4" and 1/2" and a belly button incision.

My hip scars have not disappeared after 12 months post op. They are fading slowly. I am using mederma and Vitamin E cream on them. And, they are no big deal. They are really small scars.

In talking with hyst friends and reading replys on the forums, it sounds like the scars disappear with time. I had even heard it can take up to a year. Then they become a silvery line.

Hope some long time LSH Hyster Sisters post. I would be curious too.

Good Luck.
Unread 07-15-2004, 04:16 PM

Hi!

I'm 3 1/2 months post-op. I had 4 incisions. One in the belly button which is invisible, two by my hips that are less than 1/2 inch and slightly pink, and the fourth is low by my bikini area and about 1 inch.

The scars are slowly fading. I imagine in a year or so they will be barely visible.

As far as the LSH, it was one of the best things I have ever done. I didn't realize how much pain I was in all the time until it was gone. My only regret now as that I didn't do it years ago when it was first suggested.

Good luck with your decisions. Make sure and ask lots of questions until you are completely comfortable with the answers and your decisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2004, 05:20 PM

Hi, Simba,

I had an LSH on June 7, 2004, and I had 4 small incisions. It looks to me like they're going to fade to nearly nothing. The only one that may leave a bigger scar is the incision where the dr. had to go above my navel, but, I think, the only reason that will scar much is that I'd already been cut there for a previous surgery.

If your dr. is able to do this surgery, this is the way to go, because the pain is minimal. Also, the recovery time is less.

Oh, I'm 43 years old.

--RamonaD
4/5/04 left SO; 6/7/04 LSH, kept cervix & right ovary
Unread 07-15-2004, 08:40 PM

Hi,
I had 4 incisions - 3 of them about half inch long, and one at belly button which you can't even see now. The two on each side of my hips will be the most visible but at 3 months post-op they are really of no consequence to me and I suspect they will be almost invisible in a year or two. I can't say enough about LSH -- it's incredible surgery. I was very lucky to have been home the same day as surgery and cleared for all my normal activity including intercourse after a week. I don't push things though as I don't want to strain myself internally. Whether you have this surgery or abdominal surgery it still takes us a good year to heal. Good luck.
Unread 07-16-2004, 07:22 AM

Hi Alrunes - Wow, intercourse after only 1 week. I know it is different for everyone, but this is certainly encouraging. My boyfriend has already asked me about this (Men!), and since I haven't talked to my GYN yet I didn't know what to tell him. I have heard that some have to wait 4 weeks. Guess it's not the end of the world, huh?

I do have an event to go to 9 days after my surgery that requires quite a bit of walking. Do you think I'll be able to attend this. I'm afraid I'll get there and be tired halfway thru the day. There are places to sit, but I will be doing alot of walking.
Unread 07-16-2004, 09:44 AM

Simba,

I think walking is a good form of exercise after surgery. I go to the gym regularly and I took to walking instead in post op. Just take your time and stop and rest when you get tired.

On sex post-op, I can suggest dble checking with your Dr. I have noticed that Hyster Sisters for all types of hysts are given different time frames for sex. My Dr. told me to wait 6 weeks after my LSH. I am glad I waited. There is a healing process going on in post op.

Good Luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register