Leg Massagers during Surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Leg Massagers during Surgery? Leg Massagers during Surgery?

Unread 09-29-2003, 06:41 PM
Leg Massagers during Surgery?

I was talking with my mom this afternoon, who accompanied me to my pre-op, and she said something about leg massagers the doctor said he was going to put on me during surgery. For some reason, I don't recall this part of the conversation. Do they put something on your legs? What are they and are they just for surgery or for after too?

2 Days and Counting.....then : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2003, 06:59 PM

For Laparoscopy and hyst, I had massagers on my legs. They are like a big long blood pressure cuff, that goes all the way from the ankles up to the knees. They inflate and deflate every 10 seconds or so. Not as tight as the BP cuff, but enough to give your lower legs rather a nice gentle squeeze. Apparently it helps to stop blood clots from forming in your legs. They took them off me in recovery when I was awake enough to move - I was enjoying them, and really wished they could have left them on for another hour or two!!
Unread 09-29-2003, 07:00 PM

Hi Cynthia,

The inflatable leg massagers almost look like inflatable casts. They velcro on and reach to your knees. They inflate and deflate like your legs are getting massaged. This is to help keep you from forming blood clots while you can't get up and walk around. They didn't bother me a bit...felt kinda good, actually.

s
Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2003, 07:05 PM

I thought they were weird at first but quickly got use to them and they became quite enjoyable. I had mine on until the next morning.
Unread 09-29-2003, 07:43 PM

I had them earlier this month after my fibroid surgery. At first I thought it was a blood pressure cuff, I later realized what they were. I was soooo uncomfortable with them on all night, I felt like I couldn't move my legs, I felt really constricted by them. The next morning after they removed the cath they left on the moon boots and I couldn't get out of bed to go to the bathroom. It took me three calls to the nurses and much BEGGING to get them to take them off so I could go to the bathroom. I'm NOT looking forward to having them on my legs again.
Unread 09-29-2003, 07:47 PM

Oooh, I had those too and just LOVED them. I found them to be very relaxing and soothing. I had them on for about 24 hours and was most disappointed when they were removed. (I think the fact that I was zonked out on drugs kept me from being stressed about immobility.) Now, if they only had something like that for my feet......
Unread 09-29-2003, 08:06 PM

Southie your picture
Yes they help with keeping clots from forming, I had then on 3 time since May, the third just last week. The longer you can keep them on the better, being out of bed is a good thing YES- but have the boots on while your sleeping. Taking them off is easy but your going to need help getting them on again.

Best of luck s
Unread 09-29-2003, 08:18 PM

I had mine on the 3 days I ws in the hospital and for the first 2 and half days I didn't feel them because I had an epidural, but, when they disconnected the epidural and my numbness started going away...I COULD NOT wait to get them things off me....I didnot like them, I can't stand massages or rubbings nothing, like that touching my body!!!!!But, while I was knocked out, and on them good hospital drugs, in and out of naps, I guess I didn't mind.....but, yuck......I really didn't like them...at all!!!!!
Unread 09-29-2003, 09:00 PM

Hi there -

I had them for about 36 hrs. They were great until the last 10 or so hours, then I wanted them off. But until then, I loved em!!

Jess
Unread 09-29-2003, 10:21 PM

heres a hint for those that dont like them...

wear knee socks!

i got a couple pairs to wear because when i had them they kept sticking to me.. they didnt put anything on under them... so I have some knee socks waiting..

with toes in them

multiple colored

striped

so if nothing else.. i can look down at my feet and laugh

and who knows... maybe the nurses will take them off sooner to see all the colors LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register