Surgery during period | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery during period Surgery during period

Unread 06-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Surgery during period

This may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if you can have a hysterectomy during your period? I ask because I am so irregular there is no telling when it will happen. My surgery isn't for a few months and I was wondering if they will have to reschedule it if my unwelcome visitor shows up when I'm supposed to have the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Re: Surgery during period

I was worried about the same thing because I was supposed to start right around time for surgery. I asked the nurse at my Doctor's office and according to her that would not matter.
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:05 AM

I also asked pre op nurse and she said it does not matter. If you are on your period at that time let the nurses know. You will be given sexy (ha-ha) mesh undies with a huge pad to wear before surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2012, 10:10 AM

Phew, that is a relief! Thank you ladies for your help!!
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:46 AM

I started mine the morning of my surgery and they had me leave my undies and pad on and once I was knocked out they took them off and put my undies in a bag and gave to my dh after.
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:56 AM

So glad you said that. My surgery is in a week and I never know when I'm going to start. I'm usually at least 3 days early which puts me right on the day of surgery.
Unread 06-07-2012, 02:57 PM

I've been bleeding for 3 months with no sign of stopping... My surgery is scheduled for June 14. I'm sure your period won't matter on the big day. Good luck and best wishes!
Unread 06-07-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmae82 View Post
This may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if you can have a hysterectomy during your period? I ask because I am so irregular there is no telling when it will happen. My surgery isn't for a few months and I was wondering if they will have to reschedule it if my unwelcome visitor shows up when I'm supposed to have the surgery.
Yes, I was bleeding when I had my LAVH with no problems.
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:24 PM

I asked my doctor the same thing. If my period comes on cycle day 42 like last time I will get it 2 days before my surgery... I am hoping it will hold off and not come at all... but my doctor said it doesn't matter since it will be coming out anyways.
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacie1965 View Post
I also asked pre op nurse and she said it does not matter. If you are on your period at that time let the nurses know. You will be given sexy (ha-ha) mesh undies with a huge pad to wear before surgery.
Yup, that is what happened to me. I was right in the middle of my period and they gave me those hot, sexy mesh underwear & a pad. When they told me to change into the hospital clothes that is when I told them I was having my period and they fixed me right up, lol.

It doesn't make any difference and I was glad of that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register