Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 17, 2021 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 17, 2021 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 17, 2021

Unread 01-17-2021, 11:55 AM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 17, 2021

Hi everyone! My name is Jaimie and Iím from Canada. Iím 27, no kids, and will be having a total laparoscopic hysterectomy on January 20 (keeping ovaries, removing everything else). Iím extremely nervous! I have endometriosis and had a laparoscopic surgery in feb 2019 to remove lesions but my period pain hasnít improved. Iím excited to have a new life after debilitating periods since the age of 11, but really nervous for recovery. Itís really amazing having a forum to talk to other women going through the same thing at the same time; I donít have anyone in my life whoís been through it before and am feeling pretty alone. Especially since I wonít be able to have my husband with me in the hospital.
I wish you ladies the best in your journey! Itís so nice to meet you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeshark View Post
Hello!
J from alberta.
Iím having a total hysterectomy on Wednesday,
Uterus and cervix.
I have severe endometriosis and cysts, so its time to get some relief.

This will be my first surgery, and iím a little nervous about anesthesia.

Iím staying one night in hospital, and am hoping to have a smooth recovery.
I have a friend staying with me the first few days, and there are stairs to the kitchen..
So trying to prepare some non perishable food i can keep with me.

Also. Trying to figure out how to remove all the piercings i have to take out before surgery..

Good luck to us all this week!
@coffeeshark
Fellow pierced Canadian. Good luck! I found some plastic, surgery ok piercings at a kiosk in the mall yesterday could check that out
Unread 01-17-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swood4 View Post
Hi Ladies,

Iím having a laparoscopic hysterectomy on Wednesday 1/20. Iím removing uterus, bilateral Fallopian tubes and cervix. I have 2 large fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis and a sealed uterus due to a failed ablation. I have a platelet disorder that makes this a complicated surgery.

Iím nervous but mostly about intimacy after the recovery and returning to exercise.

Good luck to all you ladies!
Iím super nervous about intimacy as well, I havenít been able to have sex painlessly in years. Hoping for some improvements!
Unread 01-17-2021, 01:33 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jan 17, 2021

Hello folks,

I'm Renee in Montana and I have a total hysterectomy and ovariectomy scheduled on Friday morning. I'm wondering if anyone has any practical suggestions for things to have on hand post-surgery. I know there are a lot of products recommended in the store, but many of them seem unnecessary. All I've got at this point is stool softener and menstrual pads. Anything else I'll definitely need? Also, I'm hoping to be back to work about a week after my surgery. Is this realistic (if everything goes as planned)? I'm having a DaVinci laproscopic surgery.

One other thing... my pre-op paperwork states that I shouldn't drive for a week after surgery (longer if I'm still taking pain medication - which I don't intend to be). Does anyone know what the reasoning for that is?

Renee
Unread 01-17-2021, 03:08 PM

I wanted to join in to welcome you here and let you know that it will be my pleasure to be your recovery thread Sister to help you on your recovery journey.

It has been only a few years, that I was in your place! Let me tell you I was a bundle of nerves, It is hard not to be afraid of the unknown. Thankfully I found this website and the sisters posting on the forums put some of my fears to ease. So, I could BREATHE! Have faith that you are in good hands with your surgeon and medical team.

There are no easy answers to the questions of length of hospital stay, bowel prep or not, recovery limitations, when I can drive and, return to work etc. We are all different and factors for each of you, your health, the type of surgery and the reason you are having surgery. What is the same is that this is major surgery and healing needs to happen both inside and out and canít be rushed. It is so important to be patient and listen to your body. It is key in helping to heal.

Glad you have found this website with tons of useful information to assist you for optimal healing. Take some time and read thru the suggested tips and links in this forum. Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles

My advice, (easy to give, but might be hard to follow) Try to relax and lean on your personal support system as well as those here that have traveled the road before you. Check back here during the day as more sisters may chime in with additional helpful tips and support.

My thoughts will be with each of you on your surgery day, imagine you are enveloped in big warm hugs full of love, support and healing energy. I will be waiting on the other side when you are ready to post after your surgery on the special recovery thread set up just for those having surgery this coming week.
YOU GOT THIS!
Unread 01-17-2021, 03:16 PM

Iím also curious about how long and/or heavy was the postop bleeding?
Unread 01-17-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabande View Post
Hello all!
Siobhan here from Ireland .
What a wonderful site!
I heard just before Christmas that I have to have a total abdominal hysterectomy due to complex hyperplasia with atypia. At the biopsy they also found what they described as a ď secret chamber ď off my womb which may be adenomyosis or it maybe something else more sinister. They wonít know until they take it out.
The hospitals here in Ireland are currently under severe pressure because of a surge in covid cases. Theyíve postponed all surgery but the most urgent. Iím relieved mine is happening but itís scary to think that they regard this as urgent. And scary to be going into a hospital thatís under pressure! But this time next week it will all be over and Iím hoping for great things post recovery!
Looking forward to the company and fellowship of all you ladies. Tell me all about yourselves! Sx
(((Siobhan))) I'm sorry you're facing all of this and to have found out around Christmas just puts the icing on the cake. The "good" news is it sounds like you're catching things when they are most treatable. Even if things would be a bit advanced beyond CAH, surgery most likely would still be the only treatment (fingers crossed!). And, don't be alarmed that they are going ahead with your procedure, since cancer/pre-cancer treatments generally are continuing to move forward due to the fact they are time sensitive in nature.

Speaking of your diagnosis, we do have a Cancer Concerns forum you're welcome to check out, if you'd like. We cover everything there from abnormal paps through dysplasia to gyn cancer and beyond, and there's lots of good info and support.

I know this all seems scary, and the covid situation just adds to everything. But, your team will take good care of you, and you'll be through the other side and into recovery before you know it. Sending hugs and positive thoughts to you and everyone having procedures this week!
Unread 01-17-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrayR View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm scheduled for a total hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy surgery on January 21. I'm from BC, Canada and I'm forty years old. I'm not too worried about the surgery, but definitely feeling anxious about how I will cope after going straight in to Menopause. The reason I'm having surgery is because I found out I'm a carrier of Lynch syndrome. My mom died at 41, and her sister at 37 years of age, so I've have decided to have the surgery done while I'm healthy.
I'm so thankful to have this support group. Take care, Tracy
First, sincere condolences to you, (((Tracy))). I'm sure your mom and aunt are proud and relieved that you are taking these steps for your health and will be with you in spirit throughout this journey.

I was just a couple of years younger than you when I had my rad/hyst with bi-lat salpingo-oophorectomy and was also concerned about surgical menopause. But, I can honestly say it wasn't as "bad" as I thought it might be, even without hormone replacement therapy. My worst symptoms were mild/mod hot flashes and being overly sensitive to things (think crying at drop of hat). Keep in mind that like natural menopause, the surgical menopause experience also varies for each of us. So, don't assume you're going to be among those who have the roughest way to go as that might not be the case at all. Even if there would be issues, your team will work with you to alleviate them and get you back on track.

I also wanted to mention that we do have a couple of other forums which might be of interest to you: GYN Genetics and Cancer Concerns. Both offer lots of good information and support, and you're welcome to check them as well. We'll keep our fingers crossed for a smooth procedure and recovery and nothing but good health moving forward. Sending hugs and every good thought your way.
Unread 01-17-2021, 04:29 PM

Hi my name is Mimi from Burlington, Ontario, Canada - just west of Toronto. My total hysterectomy is on Friday. The Fibroid in my uterus is about the size of a full term baby. They will be making a vertical cut. Surgery has been postphoned twice so far due to Covid-19. I have done a lot of prep and I find that grounds me. I even got a She Wee on Amazon so I can stand when I pee! (I heard bending my knees is going to be challenging the first couple of days), I am looking forward to the otherside of surgery.
Unread 01-17-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlyFJ View Post
Hi everyone. My surgery is in a couple days. I have fibroids, heavy bleeding & for the past year very painful periods. Doc says my uterus is currently the size of 20 weeks. I'll be having the horizontal bikini incision...so scared...This will be my first surgery ever so I'm nervous about everything...the covid precautions in hospital & current no visitor rule, post surgery pain, first catheter ever, recovery, & first bowel movement post op will be at home as I am scheduled to only stay 1 night in the hospital. My bedroom is upstairs, so I was told to take it slowly going up & to stay up for a few days. Any advice from you all will be much appreciated. Thank you.
MarlyFJ. I know it is hard to have surgery right now ... not being able to have someone with you adds to the pre-surgery jitters. Please know we will be with you each step of the way ... we're here to listen and give lots and lots of Be sure to let them know how anxious you are and they can give you something to help calm you before surgery.

Recovery pain is different for all of us. One of the biggest helps is to keep ahead of your pain by taking your meds on time. Many doctors recommend taking ibuprofen in between pain meds ... please don't hesitate talking to your doctor about this.

Having a BM can make you very anxious. It is important for you to try to relax when the time comes and DON'T STRAIN. Be sure to drink lots and lots, walk around every hour or so, and take your stool softener. Eating fiber rich foods is helpful . . . bran works wonders. Try propping up your feet on a short stool . . . this is known as the Squatty Potty position. I know it sounds "odd" but it changes the angle and helps everything to move better on its own.

Here's a list of articles to give you some extra information on how to avoid constipation:

5 Ways to Speed up Sluggish Bowels

10 Foods to Get Your Bowels Moving After Hysterectomy

Avoiding Constipation

Post op Prunes & Moving Dishes

Do This Ė Not That: Gas & Constipation

10 Tips for Managing Constipation

on your surgery dear ... remember we are here for you.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register