a new view (I say this laughing) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

a new view (I say this laughing) a new view (I say this laughing)

Unread 06-15-2004, 10:48 AM
a new view (I say this laughing)

I believe I have heard it all now....I had a lady tell me that the reason I was looking at the loss of my internal female organs so lightly was " I AM SUCH A TOMBOY" ok granted I love to scuba dive , caveing, repelling, motorcycle riding I hate dresses and high heels BUT does that make me less of a women??? How can I feel bad for giving up something that creates more problems for me than I care to have be a bad thing or make me a bad person???

I am a professional in the work place so I politely smiled and walked away however I didn't know if I will continue to have such a calm reaction.I can't believe theres women out there who would think like that.................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2004, 10:54 AM

someone told my sister that it was a shame I had to have a hysterectomy because I would be a 'woman' anymore....

Some people are soooo ignorant
Unread 06-15-2004, 10:56 AM

That should have said

Wouldn't be a woman anymore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2004, 10:57 AM

Phooey on those ignoramuses! I wish we had a smiley for sticking out your tongue at someone!

--RamonaD
4/5/04 left SO; 6/7/04 LSH; kept cervix & right ovary
Unread 06-15-2004, 11:09 AM
the labels

Oh, fiddle.

I have heard people say you aren't woman if you don't get married, or if you don't have kids. Good grief, do they tell men that? Some things die hard. does that mean after you reached menopause you aren't a woman anymore?
Unread 06-15-2004, 11:32 AM

Actually we do.....

Unread 06-15-2004, 11:42 AM

Losing your uterus means you're no longer a woman? This isn't a sex change! Are we to assume that a man who goes through prostate surgery is suddenly going to dress in drag? Even if they think that, why would anybody be so stupid as to say it out loud? That is just about the most insane thing I have ever heard. I think a good reply is, "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"...Getting off my soapbox now....
Unread 06-15-2004, 12:12 PM

As one of my very wise good friends said to me on the phone when I was pondering my Hyster Decision - "Just because you take out the crib, doesn't mean there is no PLAYPEN!" You're not becoming some sexless thing. You're not having a vaginectomy, for pete's sake! (I don't know if that's a word but I'm so spitting mad for you right now I can't make myself look up the right term)

You won't sprout an Adam's apple or a penis
Your pelvic bones and your jaw will still have the female angle
Every cell in your body will still be XX - female DNA

So WHAT if you're a tomboy? That's the great part of being alive past the Fifteenth Century - Women can do what appeals to them! I suppose the same woman would tell my Great-great-grandmother from the 1800's that she wasn't a woman because she could chop wood, saddle train horses and slaughter her own beef while her husband was off fighting the Civil War. Or my Grandmother that she wasn't a woman because she was a Rosie The Riveter During World War II. Or my Mother that she wasn't a woman because she supported our family in the 1960's while my Dad studied to become a Computer Engineer instead of staying home to wear pearls like June Cleaver!

Ooh GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
Unread 06-15-2004, 12:33 PM

Grrr and they say children are cruel....adults can be just stupid.

Not only will you still be a woman but you will be an improved one free from whatever is causing you to have the procedure.

I am a bit of a mouth I probably would have asked her exactly what she thought I'd be. Then just done that icey stare thing that only women can truly master.....

Amy
Unread 06-15-2004, 02:10 PM

Well thank you ladies for all the response, I've now looked past her and think its rather funny . I now really feel sorry for alot of women who probally share her views for whatever reason be it the way they were raised or lack of education............Thanks again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register