Silly Question or is it a discussion? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Silly Question or is it a discussion? Silly Question or is it a discussion?

Unread 07-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Silly Question or is it a discussion?

LOL!
Are we married to the same man? When my DH is sick it is Aaannniiiieee... (try and sound pitiful now as y'all are reading this...) Aaannniiiieee!!!... I need a asprin (and then tell me what brand of asprin), and a cream soda, and a tuna sandwhich, and maybe some chocolate cake. My DH is wonderful and he did take great care of me after my surgery... but I do think that he sounds pretty goofy when he calls me Aaannniiieee when he is sick.

I do recommend printing out the MrHystersisters stuff... and leaving it in the bathroom or anywhere else a DH is prone to be a captive audience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2006, 08:07 PM

All I have to say is....

ROFLMBO!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spasmo
LOL!
Are we married to the same man? When my DH is sick it is Aaannniiiieee... (try and sound pitiful now as y'all are reading this...) Aaannniiiieee!!!... I need a asprin (and then tell me what brand of asprin), and a cream soda, and a tuna sandwhich, and maybe some chocolate cake. My DH is wonderful and he did take great care of me after my surgery... but I do think that he sounds pretty goofy when he calls me Aaannniiieee when he is sick.

I do recommend printing out the MrHystersisters stuff... and leaving it in the bathroom or anywhere else a DH is prone to be a captive audience.
Unread 07-30-2006, 09:07 AM

Your DH's use your names? Mine lays in bed and proclaims every 5 minutes "I'm dyyyyyyying." I kid you not. The last time he got sick was the day after we ate a a new chicken wing place in town, which had nothing to do with his bout of the 48 hour flu bug that was going around, but he actually asked me, in all seriousness, what the symptoms of bird flu were. He ate chicken, ergo....
I printed out a lot of stuff from this site about the type of hyst I was having, and the aftercare tips, and some of the FAQ from the men's section. Now he's not a big reader, so I gave him all the stuff I had printed out in a folder the night before my surgery and told him it was for him to read while he was in the waiting room. Turned out my parents kept him way too occupied for that, BUT I do remember groggily looking over at him in my room later that day, and bless him, he was reading it! He has even quoted things back at me regarding my behavior during recovery! They usually do come through, they just have to do it on their own time.
(Mine is actually cleaning the litter box as I sit here. He does it daily. What is hilarious is I only did it every other or every third day. The cats think it's great!)
Z.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2006, 09:12 AM

Okay, zephyr...that is funny! I'm dying...good lord they have no idea, huh?
Unread 07-30-2006, 09:22 AM

Not a clue! I'd tell him I felt like I was walking aorund with a giant soggy bowling ball in my belly, along with Aunt Flo and the cousins - Cramp, Bloat, Fatigue, and Headache, and he'd just go "Huh. That must be uncomfortable." YA THINK?
I think we women should have a button we can push maybe three times in a lifetime that allows the man in our life at a given time to have a period. A doozy. (We can only do the 3 times, because the temptation to abuse would be soooooo huge.)
Z.
Unread 07-30-2006, 09:27 AM

got a kick out of reading some of the above. Minto put it beautifully and took the words right out of my head.

I was married for 13 years to a man similar to some of the men described above. every hangnail was a major catastrophe!! I remember him announcing at the dinner table after we had said grace (my kids were very young at the time) "I'm dying." he was 37. he is now 52 and going strong...his own father lived to 97.

Yes, we are divorced...but he continues to haunt me. he did call when i was in the hospital to see if I had survived my surgery. Now he's back to annoying nuisance phone calls, forgetting that i am still trying to recover.

Yes, i think we as women tend to minimize our physical issues because we need to take care of our families. This is DEFINITELY a time when you will need to ask for help. (or just not do things...I am looking at dust balls right now! LOL) Try not to feel guilty about that. It sounds to me that you are with good men and they will rise to the occasion. men are known to be babies about illness. Mine was an extreme case, of course, but that's not a story for this thread. Now I live with my sixteen year old and plenty in my house will not be done until I am able to do it. I don't have clearance to vacuum or lift and I refuse to put my recovery in jeopardy.
Unread 07-30-2006, 10:17 AM

All of y'all are just wonderful! For some reason I think we often tend to feel guilty about things... and after a hyst I hope everyone will make a resolution to not feel guilty about letting others help out and the condition their house gets in.

Trust me... the house will still be there. For me it was kind of a "control freak" thing. We all have our things that we want done in the house so that it feels clean enough. My deal (this is strange... so go ahead and laugh when you read it) is that when the dishwasher is loaded all the silverwear is loaded into a separate part of the basket thingie with the business part of the utensil (the eating part) facing up. I let that go... and I remembered to thank my DH for his cleaning up the house. My poker face became better for the experience.

I really do believe that I am better for having let go of some of my control freak tendencies and for letting others help. My house did survive too... the dust bunnies did not over run the place in six weeks, and the silverware didnt care which way it was in the dishwasher. But most importantly I learned to appreciate taking time just for me. I had never in my adult life had six weeks just for me ~ and I am so glad that I chose to look at that as a rare blessing (and yes I had to remind my self of that at times during recovery). At the end of it I felt that my mental batteries where recharged (and I hadn't realized how badly I needed the recharge) in addition to my body having recovered from the surgery.

Best wishes to all y'all wonderful women!
Unread 07-30-2006, 10:35 AM

Hey Sisters! I love everything written.

Dear Army wife, I am an Air Force wife and school teacher.

My DH got sick the first time I planned my surgery three years ago. I postponed. During that time our son and daugther-in-law had twin girls, he got better, sick again, and life went on in general.

This year I went for my yearly check May 31. My GP sent me ASAP to a gyn/oncologist. Then the doctor said look you have to have this surgery! It was a Thursday in the last week in June. The doctor office got the first available date the next Tuesday. I postponed for another week. DH sick with bronchitis (sp). Both Gyn and GP said look you can't put this off any longer.

DH sick again. He was acting so weak the doctor almost put him in the castle for congestive heart failure. His GP in our little town was ready to get him in the hospital and said I should wait on surgery. I called his team at the VA and they laughed so hard, that I realized that maybe DH had been a little dramatic. Maybe, he needs to move to Hollywood (LOL).

I think he realized he was being a little drama queen, because he said maybe he was not feeling as bad as he told his GP doctor. He would wait until he saw the VA doc's. They give him a complete going over every six months. He goes once a month for some service related injuries.

At one point pre-op I almost had my best friend drive me to hospital and have him stay home. I am glad I didn't I usally take care of everything and do too much around the house.

I worried so much I made enough cassroles to feed an army. Which was good because all of our friends from church and our children friends came over and ate us out of house and home while I was at the castle. (This is the truth!!)

In the castle the nurse went over the list of do's and don't's and DH turned white as sheet. He sat stunned for a few momments. Then my very sweet doctor came in an asked what is wrong with DH. They had long talk and the doctor suggested I use a few more days of my pre approved hostpial stay. (It wasn't like I hadn't told him already but they made it real to him.)

This is funny but at the same time it is not, we have had our ups and downs since my return from hospital. The info packet my doctor office sent home was helpful. He has read and reread it several times. The pamphlet describing the fibroids helped him and treatment options. I bled so heavy that once I soaked his truck seat and he had to replace the seat because it was impossible to get all the blood out of the seat. The truck began to smell. So he knew we couldn't wait any longer.

The kids have actually chipped in and helped. My dear teacher friends take turns bringing food and taking kids out. My church friends have not hang around as much as they did while I was in the castle. I thought they would never leave the hospital. Nothing like a group of folks watching you as they check your boo hoo and other unmentionable things.

I have a son-in-law in medical school that sent DH a video clip online of what the surgery looks like, and again DH turn white as sheet.

He has been helpful, too helpful, and sometimes demanding, but over all he has been great.

I wondered how they would make with me laid up, but they done great, best wishes and I pray everything works out for you...

Renda
TVH large uterine fibroids, dysplasia, repairs to bladder, intestinal wall, and bowel repairs, and removal of one ovary. (Praise God pathology report non-cancerous, just pre-cancerous cells and I think they took everything because some days I belly button itches, they tell me it stiches? (Way up there?)
Unread 07-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Let them serve you

It's okay to be the recipient of other's service. My mom once told me "You don't want to deny other people the opportunity to minister, by acting like you don't need help when you really do!" I never thought about it that way. Recovering from this hyst has given my family an opportunity to serve God by ministering to me in my time of need. And they've really stepped up, including my DH, who is cooking lunch for me at this moment-he went grocery shopping yesterday, and he just never does that!It does make me feel loved and appreciated , so I think it's a win-win situation!
Unread 07-30-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer1960
It does make me feel loved and appreciated , so I think it's a win-win situation!
This would be a great way for me to change my thinking to.

It's slowly sinking into my brain...it's okay to get help and be the one that needs help! I'm getting there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register