New Here...First Post | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Here...First Post New Here...First Post

Unread 07-13-2011, 05:30 AM
New Here...First Post

Hi all! I'm really glad I found this site. I saw it mentioned on another message board. I am 41 years old and scheduled for a hysterectomy on 8/26. I have not visited many websites or boards about it because, honestly, I want to try to stay positive and not get freaked out by horror stories. So far, I have been really happy with the stories shared here!

I will be having the daVinci. They will likely be taking my cervix as well, although we haven't completely decided. I am leaning toward it, as I've had a long history of abnormal paps, etc. going back about 20 years, so, I think it'd be smart. They will be leaving my ovaries.

I'm starting to get nervous/anxious about the procedure and recovery. I'm single and live alone, but will have my mom coming to stay for the surgery and right after. I am not at all looking forward to the "bowel prep", fasting, and anasthesia or the pain. I think I have a pretty low tolerance for pain. I've only ever had one surgery in my life, about 10 years ago.

I am, however, very much looking forward to 4 weeks off work. I work in a very emotionally demanding/stressful field (social work) and am hoping the time off will help me "recharge".

My hysterectomy is being recommended because of fibroids. I was diagnosed about 3 years ago and they are getting larger and causing more issues. For the past year or so, I have been getting my period about every 18 days. I have had bad periods my entire life, heavy, horrible cramps, migraines. I know I won't get rid of the migrianes, but I am looking forward to not having to deal with the rest. I think/hope it will be worth it.

Thanks for listening and I am truly happy I found this site. I will likely be a regular poster here from now until after my surgery. I don't have a lot of "real life" support, so, will definitely use the support offered here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2011, 05:40 AM
Re: New Here...First Post

Constanz you chose the right place everyone here gives great support and advice
Unread 07-13-2011, 05:41 AM

I've just recently joined the website as well and have it to be such a great support for whatever questions or concerns you have. We are all on this journey together. I'm scheduled for surgery next Wednesday (SAH) and somewhat nervous, but being on here and reading all the stories, make me feel much more calm. Good luck on on your journey!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2011, 09:44 AM

I think this is great site with helpful info. I made the mistake of spending too much time on the internet googling "hysterectomy" and was scared after reading so many negative things and horror stories. I think you will find on here that "horror stories" aren't the norm. I feel much better when I'm on here because there are so many other women going through the same thing as me.
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:30 AM

I had the DVH in May. My first surgery ever so I was also concerned about those same things. I will tell you that the anethesia was no problem at all. The staff is so cautious and take really good care of you. The pain was well managed in the hospital and at home. I was off the major pain meds and on otc by the 3 rd day home. I needed help at home for the first 3-4 days getting up and to the bathroom, meal prep etc. but after that I was pretty good. Some good days, some not so good days. It is a long healing process even with DaV. So take it from someone who's been through it. It's not half as bad as you fear!!
This site will answer all your concerns and the more you know the better prepared you are. As far as the fasting and Bowel prep...."it is what it is" and there's just no way to sugar coat it. But all of us survived it. Cheryl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register