Hysterectomy ok'k by Gyn - now feeling unsure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy ok'k by Gyn - now feeling unsure Hysterectomy ok'k by Gyn - now feeling unsure

Unread 10-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Hysterectomy ok'k by Gyn - now feeling unsure

Today I went back to see my GYN after an ultrasound and a possible diagnosis with Adenomyosis. I have horrible cramps almost 3 weeks every month. The Ultrasound came back without any major problems; just a corpus luteum cyst on one of my ovaries. My Dr. gave me 3 options to consider before deciding to go with a hysterectomy. First, Lupron shots - I read all I could about Lupron and decided that was not an option; second; Mirena IUD; same as before; too much about bad side effects and decided no!!! third; progesterone bc pills - decided no about that idea because I took bc pills for 14 yrs. prior to having my children and after my last child, they caused high blood pressure. I have read so much about Adenomyosis and I have decided that: I am 44; my family is complete and I am in agony for 3 weeks out of the month due to cramps, bloating, pressure etc. The pain that I'm dealing with is affecting my daily quality of life. My GYN has said he will do the surgery, but cautioned that he couldn't be sure of what he might find once I'm in surgery. His major concern is my ovaries. I don't feel as though my monthly pain is coming from my ovaries, but I'm not a doctor. I need some advice from anyone who suffers or has suffered from Adenomyosis and whether or not it affected ovaries - and how did you know and how did you deal with that during a hysterectomy. Any advice would be so helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2014, 02:40 AM
Re: Hysterectomy ok'k by Gyn - now feeling unsure

I had my hysterectomy due to adenomyosis on October , in my case it was contained in my uterus. I also had pain daily and I described it as there was a little man in there with an ice pick stabbing my ovaries, turns out my ovaries are fine! I am hoping that it's the same for you, they have to put all possibilities out there for the insurance company but most likely won't have to mess with your ovaries!
Unread 10-16-2014, 04:51 AM

I too have 2 to 3 weeks of cramps, bloating, pressure and low back pain,. My ultrasound was okay too and I was given the same options. I also suspect adenomyosis, although I did have a prior tubal and an ablation a year and a half ago.

Anyway, I decided on a hysterectomy because I do not want to deal with all of the side effects from Band-Aid options like Lupron or birth control pills. I sometimes question my decision too, but then I think of the alternative of dealing with extreme hormone fluctuations and other nasty side-effects with meds. I would rather just be done with it and then let nature take its course.

My surgeon recommended LAVH and I am anxiously waiting for my date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2014, 05:04 AM

Definitely sounds like adenomyosis to me! So happy you are going to get some relief all of my symptoms are gone! I am still recovering but I already feel better than I have in years! Good luck to you
Unread 10-16-2014, 05:20 AM

Hi. I think i am at the same spot as you.

I have suspect adenomyosis. A thickening in the fundus (possibly another polup ) and some cystic areas in the uterine wall and a somewhat irregular myometrium.. I dont have pain but when i do get a period it is dizzeling and long and watery and very bright red. My gyn said the same. Mirana iud. Some type f hormones, i really read too much about both -- and they really are only a band aid for buying time but eventually She said it would probably have to come out. Sometime menopause makes these better. But my blood test and uterine biopsy say different things. Blood say im in menopause, uterus says not...

So we are doing the TAH on the 31 st of this month. And of course once she agreed to do it i got scared. I did have a long telephone conversation with her and i wanted to make sure i wasnt talking her into this, and she assured me i was not and that she is usually on the causious side and waits too long to do a hysterectomy. I also went for a second opinon as well just to double check myself and based on the ultrasound etc the second dr. Said the only sure cure for adenomyosis is hysterectomy. I have also had 3 uterine polyps removed in the past.
Unread 10-16-2014, 06:12 AM

Hi! I am in a similar situation. Had a sonogram because I was having pain, and they found a 3 cm functional cyst and possible adenomyosis. I was planning to have a hysterectomy anyway (I also have a severe prolapse) and this sealed the deal.

The reason your dr cautioned you is probably because adenomyosis often is accompanied by endometriosis, and that can cause damage to the ovaries as well as make the hysterectomy itself more complicated. I know I have endo (had a laparoscopy in 2005 during some fertility testing) so I'm guessing I will get ye same warning. Surgical menopause at age 36 would not be fun, but I can't continue the way things are now, it is interfering with my daily life too much. Best of luck to you! These aren't easy decisions! Hugs. ❤️
Unread 10-16-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctsunset View Post
Today I went back to see my GYN after an ultrasound and a possible diagnosis with Adenomyosis. I have horrible cramps almost 3 weeks every month. The Ultrasound came back without any major problems; just a corpus luteum cyst on one of my ovaries. My Dr. gave me 3 options to consider before deciding to go with a hysterectomy. First, Lupron shots - I read all I could about Lupron and decided that was not an option; second; Mirena IUD; same as before; too much about bad side effects and decided no!!! third; progesterone bc pills - decided no about that idea because I took bc pills for 14 yrs. prior to having my children and after my last child, they caused high blood pressure. I have read so much about Adenomyosis and I have decided that: I am 44; my family is complete and I am in agony for 3 weeks out of the month due to cramps, bloating, pressure etc. The pain that I'm dealing with is affecting my daily quality of life. My GYN has said he will do the surgery, but cautioned that he couldn't be sure of what he might find once I'm in surgery. His major concern is my ovaries. I don't feel as though my monthly pain is coming from my ovaries, but I'm not a doctor. I need some advice from anyone who suffers or has suffered from Adenomyosis and whether or not it affected ovaries - and how did you know and how did you deal with that during a hysterectomy. Any advice would be so helpful!
Just an FYI, I took progesterone birth control for years because I had high blood pressure. They should not increase your bp, my understanding is that regular bc pills with estrogen are the culprit.
Unread 10-20-2014, 03:06 PM

Just scheduled my date for LAVH - December 15th. I am happy to have a date scheduled; yet now very anxious about everything! I have 8 weeks to worry and wait... I hope I've made the right decision.
Unread 10-20-2014, 05:52 PM

I didn't think about my date until now and it's 2 days away. My nerves are a mess and I don't know why. The fibroids gave me such discomfort and I knew the only solution was this procedure (I did have the UFE procedure 3 years ago). I have no idea why I'm so nervous. I can't tell anyone because they'll just say "oh you'll be fine". My fiancé is awesome but I feel he's not being totally upfront. After this, I can't give him a child. I'm sure I want the procedure but just scared is all. Normal?
Unread 10-20-2014, 06:02 PM
Hysterectomy ok'k by Gyn - now feeling unsure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kee Kee View Post
I didn't think about my date until now and it's 2 days away. My nerves are a mess and I don't know why. The fibroids gave me such discomfort and I knew the only solution was this procedure (I did have the UFE procedure 3 years ago). I have no idea why I'm so nervous. I can't tell anyone because they'll just say "oh you'll be fine". My fiancé is awesome but I feel he's not being totally upfront. After this, I can't give him a child. I'm sure I want the procedure but just scared is all. Normal?
I feel for you - I have 8 weeks to go before my surgery; I know I'll be so nervous the week before. I'm trying to focus on the positive - no more monthly pain & missing out on my life due to issues from dealing with my reproductive organs! I wish you well and hope your fiancé is supportive throughout your surgery. Hang in there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register