Upcoming hysterectomy 6/14: To keep or take out ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 6/14: To keep or take out ovaries Upcoming hysterectomy 6/14: To keep or take out ovaries

Unread 06-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 6/14: To keep or take out ovaries

Hey Ladies!
I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy next wed. I planned to have everything removed, even my ovaries just to be done with this chapter. I am 36, have 2 children and am sad that I won't be able to have more. But I'm in so much pain and I can't take it anymore. Or anymore miscarriages... More to my story, but the main question is to take my ovaries out or not. My OB wants me to keep atleast 1. My internal medicine doctor told me to take them out bc they will eventually cause problems. Are the bioidentical hormones basically the same as the ones we make? I only have a few days to decide and don't want to make the wrong decision! Thanks!
Anne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Re: To keep or take out ovaries

HI and welcome.

While the choice is totally up to you; I also faced the dilemma. My dr. said right out of the gate he was taking both ovaries. I pushed back, he pushed back and after sitting back, reading stories, speaking to other women; I am still not totally convinced they should both go, but I've decided to let them be taken. Good bad or ugly they are going.
I found women on both sides, both with convincing reasons. I had to look at myself and what I really wanted, what my fears really were and make the decision. I am good with it now but I did struggle. My DaVinci is set for 6/26/17. Seems like an eternity away!

All the best to you!!!!!!
Unread 06-09-2017, 01:39 PM

See I fought with my doc to take them out. He says there's nothing better than your own hormones, but I hate my hormones. I would rather control them through bioidentical hormones ya know? I'm so confused! Are yours diseased?
QUOTE=Elfi;1527248053]HI and welcome.

While the choice is totally up to you; I also faced the dilemma. My dr. said right out of the gate he was taking both ovaries. I pushed back, he pushed back and after sitting back, reading stories, speaking to other women; I am still not totally convinced they should both go, but I've decided to let them be taken. Good bad or ugly they are going.
I found women on both sides, both with convincing reasons. I had to look at myself and what I really wanted, what my fears really were and make the decision. I am good with it now but I did struggle. My DaVinci is set for 6/26/17. Seems like an eternity away!

All the best to you!!!!!![/quote]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2017, 01:56 PM

I wonder how your internal medicine doctor knows that your ovaries will eventually cause problems? Can that doctor tell you when that will happen? If you knew in advance that you would have years worth of the benefits of your own ovary-made hormones, would you want to keep your ovaries? Obviously you can always go back at a later date to have them removed, but you can't get them put back in if you have them removed and then regret the decision, as many women do.

Bio-identical hormones are good and they are made to duplicate the hormones made by the ovaries, but it can be tricky to figure out the precise combination of hormones. The ovaries produce estradiol, estriol, estrone, progesterone and testosterone. Do you have a doctor knowledgeable about prescribing those hormones? It can also be hard to figure out the dosing as well as the method of delivery. What if something unexpected happens, such as a blood clot, and you're no longer considered a candidate for hormone therapy? Did you know that even after menopause the ovaries produce beneficial hormones but with surgical menopause you won't have that benefit unless you're on hormone therapy? How long will your doctor prescribe the hormones? My doctor said I can use them forever if that's what I want, which I do. Some women are told they can't use them longer than five years. If you are dealing with an endometriosis diagnosis, did you know it's possible to have problems with endometriosis even after the ovaries are removed? These things aren't meant to scare you but rather it's information to factor into and to discuss with your doctor before finalizing this very important decision.

Unless you have sound medical reasons to remove your ovaries, I hope you will consider keeping them as you would any other healthy organ.

There are helpful articles on the subject in this resource: Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles.

Unread 06-09-2017, 02:05 PM

I'm keeping my ovaries. They aren't causing me problems, and I have no family history that they will. The assumption they will is a bit odd to me, unless there's more to your health history.

I am done with periods, but I don't want instant menopause.
But everyone is diffferent.
Unread 06-09-2017, 02:11 PM

Hi,
To my knowledge mine are not diseased; however, I suspect that due to endometriosis I will not be able to keep them anyway.

I'm fine with having them removed.

All the best,
Elfi
Unread 06-09-2017, 07:56 PM

Hi Anne12 -

I was rudely dumped into surgical menopause at age 46 with my TAH BSO (no choice for me) and it was MISERABLE. I am on HRT (bio-identical hormones) and it gave me my life back. BUT, it is not the same as my own hormones, and if I could have I would have kept one or both ovaries.

Here are articles that may provide information to you:
Should I Keep My Ovaries When I Have My Hysterectomy?
25 Health Risks Related to Oophorectomy and Surgical Menopause
HRT, Heart Disease, and Surgical Menopause

Think it over carefully, and make the right decision for you.

Unread 06-10-2017, 06:17 AM

Thanks to all of you. I don't quite know how to work these threads yet, but it seems it is best to keep your own ovaries if they are healthy. My right one has deep endo and causes great pain, so he will probably remove that one. I make SO much estrogen naturally and the estrogen triggers my OCD. That's why I wanted to control it. But perhaps there are other options....
Unread 06-10-2017, 07:05 AM

I heard from a couple of women "just take them out while he's in there so you don't have to deal with any problems with them later." Both doctors I went to see said the same thing - Leave them in. They asked me if I had a family history of ovarian cancer ... as that would be the only flag to do away with them as a preventative measure. But I don't, so they stay.

I'm a list person... make a pros and cons list and take that to your doctor, along with some of these excellent questions from our experienced hostesses. Maybe just removing the ovary that is giving you problems will help make you feel better while leaving the other one can help give you the balance you need to stay comfortable after? Good luck with your decision, at least you have some time to figure it out
Unread 06-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 6/14: To keep or take out ovaries

I am now 15 days post TLH and LSO. I was so sure that I wanted both my ovaries removed before my surgery. I have grade 4 endo, and have had surgery multiple times on my ovaries for endo. But I did a LOT of research and spoke to a few doctors, and I decided it was better to keep my ovaries if I could. I can always remove them later if I have trouble, but I can never put them back in. I ended up having my left one removed. They managed to remove the endo from my right ovary and save it. I am so glad they did, and happy with my decision not to have them both removed. I will be getting yearly scans on my ovary to monitor and check that it remains ok. It is not an easy decision to make, but it is your decision. I would go with what you feel most peaceful about. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register