Should I? (NFP and unwanted pregnancy concerns) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I? (NFP and unwanted pregnancy concerns) Should I? (NFP and unwanted pregnancy concerns)

Unread 01-19-2021, 01:36 PM
Should I? (NFP and unwanted pregnancy concerns)

Hi all!

I’m new here so thanks for having me.

A couple of years ago I had to terminate an unwanted pregnancy. From beginning to end I knew it was the right call; I am a career-focused woman who loves to travel and explore, and I have no inclinations towards motherhood.

Since then, I’ve been very careful about NFP. Several times I have used hormonal birth control (the pill), and every time the side effects were more than I could bear (almost committed suicide). So I don’t want to go back to hormonal birth control, I hope to never need to have another termination, and while condoms and NFP have been good to me, there is still room for human error or inconsistencies that often give me anxiety. (I currently use Daysy BBT tracking.)

So, I was trying to think of something that would put my mind at ease about my chances of getting pregnant, since I am currently experiencing anxiety and doubt again.

Should I get a hysterectomy? How does it affect your sex drive? Will the hormonal changes in my own body be as bad as hormonal birth control? What were your experiences? What is your advice? Would it be better for me to green-light the vasectomy my life partner is willing to get? How badly do you regret your inability to conceive? (I’m about to turn 31, and still am not ready for kids, so the outlook is not great that I’ll ever want them, but sometimes I imagine it is possible?)

I guess I came here because I’m conflicted, and hoping peoples’ responses will help make my decision for my own body clearer.

Thanks for listening. I love you all.

Best,
Vee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2021, 06:37 PM
Re: Should I?

Getting a hysterectomy to suit a lifestyle is not the best approach, not to mention the potential for long term side effects (yes, including sex life).

Maybe talk to your doctor about IUD? (Intra Utérine Device) as an option.
Unread 01-26-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleIvy View Post
Hi all!

A couple of years ago I had to terminate an unwanted pregnancy. From beginning to end I knew it was the right call; I am a career-focused woman who loves to travel and explore, and I have no inclinations towards motherhood.

Since then, I’ve been very careful about NFP. Several times I have used hormonal birth control (the pill), and every time the side effects were more than I could bear (almost committed suicide). So I don’t want to go back to hormonal birth control, I hope to never need to have another termination, and while condoms and NFP have been good to me, there is still room for human error or inconsistencies that often give me anxiety. (I currently use Daysy BBT tracking.)

So, I was trying to think of something that would put my mind at ease about my chances of getting pregnant, since I am currently experiencing anxiety and doubt again.

Should I get a hysterectomy? How does it affect your sex drive? Will the hormonal changes in my own body be as bad as hormonal birth control? What were your experiences? What is your advice? Would it be better for me to green-light the vasectomy my life partner is willing to get? How badly do you regret your inability to conceive? (I’m about to turn 31, and still am not ready for kids, so the outlook is not great that I’ll ever want them, but sometimes I imagine it is possible?)

I guess I came here because I’m conflicted, and hoping peoples’ responses will help make my decision for my own body clearer.

Best,
Vee
A vasectomy is safe and minimally invasive and even reversible. The female equivalent is having your tubes tied, which is a much bigger deal. Having an organ removed is a way bigger deal. It is major surgery. That means two months of recovery time, three months before you’re really in the clear, and brings with it risks. I would strongly advocate consulting with a doctor or two, but I would not recommend a hysterectomy that is not needed. I had a hysterectomy 3 months ago and it went well, but it should not be undertaken lightly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2021, 08:29 PM
Re: Should I? (NFP and unwanted pregnancy concerns)

i wouldn't consider a hysterectomy for birth control. why not just get your tubes tied?
Unread 01-27-2021, 01:15 AM
Re: Should I? (NFP and unwanted pregnancy concerns)

A hysterectomy can result in ovary failure, it also affects your internal structure since ligaments are cut and you're more likely to get back pain, your ribs also tend to get closer to your hip bones (mine definitely have less space). If you're just wanting to avoid pregnancy then a hysterectomy is not a good way to go. You would be better off getting your tubes tied as was suggested in a previous post.
Btw, ovary failure leads to needing HRT which can be very difficult to get balanced and doesn't work for everyone, if you already have problems taking the pill then HRT may well have similar problems so you want to do everything you can to keep your ovaries healthy, which means no hysterectomy.
Unread 02-06-2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleIvy View Post
Hi all!

Best,
Vee
too! I'm 32 and had my hyster just over a year ago. I have two children already and my hubby had a vasectomy (first), so I cannot relate to the piece about regretting conception, I'm sorry. I wanted to say that if you've not had kids, it may be hard to find a surgeon who would perform a hyster at your age without medical necessity. It is an invasive procedure and shouldn't be taken lightly. While I had a good experience, mine was performed due to medical issues. My husband's vasectomy was far less of a recovery.

That being said, you can keep your ovaries, and I would recommend this at your age because going into menopause so early without medical need can cause issues. Best advice, get some doctor consults setup to discuss options. Perhaps a non hormonal IUD etc.? Well wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register